WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Cool Air horn on Bears

Anyone think a small airhorn will work on black bears? dont wanna go leathalor to hurt the bear.plus doese mass have trouble with black bears? no right?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I think you'd have a hard time getting the bear to wear the horn, they like to sneak up on things.

Generally, bears are not a big problem in New England 'cause we still shoot them. You do get an occassional problem bear (like at Seth Warner shelter a couple years back).

Fear...presumably the point behind using the blast of an air horn close up, can cause unintended reactions. A sudden blast from an air horn might cause the bear to lash out/attack. If on the other hand, one contemplates sounding the air horn periodically to clear bears from the trail ahead that might work...and cause fellow hikers in the area to lash out/attack.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Images

LOL!!! nah i just dont wanna bring my 460S&w ,im so used to grizzlies that i havent dealt with many black bear maybe once or twice but from my EXP they run pretty quickly

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    Fear...presumably the point behind using the blast of an air horn close up, can cause unintended reactions. A sudden blast from an air horn might cause the bear to lash out/attack. If on the other hand, one contemplates sounding the air horn periodically to clear bears from the trail ahead that might work...and cause fellow hikers in the area to lash out/attack.

FB
    Uhh interesting thought, I cannot argue that point, but an air horn is an interesting idea, but FB you have me questioning something, when hunters & rangers go into the woods they use bottle rockets & a special gun that fires a whistle / bang to scare the bears. Its simmilar to a flare device.

On the other hand a air horn might be a call for help.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanhkr23 View Post
    im so used to grizzlies that i havent dealt with many black bear maybe once or twice but from my EXP they run pretty quickly
    If you're used to griz you should have no fear of black bear. Just tent away from problem areas and sleep with your food. If you feel the need to hang, use the PCT method.

Images

yeah thats true,even whistles work but thats SOS too

Air horn use will earn you a new trailname for sure!

Images

I've used a shrill whistle for years. Works most of the time. I wear it around my neck.
    Once I almost got sprayed by a skunk because of the whistling but as soon as I stopped it decided to lower its rump and move on.
    fawaaaamp is a good trail name.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    "he who walks with many trekking poles up bum" I.E. prince charles
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Images

LOL ill just walk with a loaded 460 then,hey and yes Fawaaamp is a good nick name lmfao!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Uhh interesting thought, I cannot argue that point, but an air horn is an interesting idea, but FB you have me questioning something, when hunters & rangers go into the woods they use bottle rockets & a special gun that fires a whistle / bang to scare the bears. Its simmilar to a flare device.

On the other hand a air horn might be a call for help.
    How it's being used might make a difference. If the devices are tossed in the general direction of a bear than I can see how they might drive the animal off. If it's an aggressive 'encounter'...the bear is rapidly approaching...than something else is probably a better choice. In any case, the bottle rockets and 'crackers' and such would be prohibited around here most of the bp'ing season due to the fire danger.

FYI, within the past couple seasons in this area, we're seeing more and more reports about rifle fire attracting grizzlys. It seems the bears have learned to associate gunfire with hunters and hunters with gut piles which, of course, are good eatin' if you're a griz.

When I was active in the MD/VA/WV area black bears were seldom seen, not a problem, and not worthy of precautions. I have no idea how those teddys behave and react today...

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I think more like "truck driver" or "18 wheeler"
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

they make what is called patient fall alarms ( incase they fall from bed or out of a wheelchair) they have a pull pin, i use it as a tripwire under my bearbag,,,havnt missed a meal yet

Images

Man2th great idea,And why do people wanna give me a nickname ,truck drivers a good one i kinda have the mutton chops beard like one LOL i like it-sheepdog

++ New Posts ++