WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I am planing my nobo thru-hike 2012

This is my first post. I joined this forum to plan for my 2012 threw-hike, and am amazed at the volumes of information provided by experienced A.T. hikers. I am beginning to collect all essential gear trying to leave no stone unturned. I want to go ultralight, and intend on having a pack weight of 35 lbs, or less. I am now starting to hike many trails in north Carolina for practice on rough terrain for I am from Florida, and have only have experience hiking the Florida trail in 2005. The trails I have been hiking laity are the mount pisca trails, whitewater falls trail, and the infamous Foot Hill trails. The terrain however different then I am use to is not too hard on me. I am in good shape, and think I have great chance of completing my nobo hike. My departure date is march 15 2012. I think this will give me enough time to plan a successful threw-hike. If anyone else is going to to do the trail in 2012 around the same time let me know perhaps we will see each other on our journey.

Any words of encouragement, or advice on gear will greatly be appreciated, and I give my thanks in advance.

Jeremy aka Manikwest

wow, 2012, that is a long ways away! Also, 35 lbs is not ultralight. Try 22.

I guess that is not that light, but 1012 is Not really that far away, this will give all the time I need too backpack other trails that are close to me, and many of which are categorized as strenuous. This will give me a trial, and error proses to see what will come on my trip, and what will not. I plan on being very minimalist. I want to go light, but am fit, and have the strength to carry 40 comfortably, or as least as comfortable one can be with a pack strapped to there back. So 30 to 35 lbs would help me sustain, and not spend much time in town for I want to hike passed all the white blazes with a pack on. If I could have a pack weight under 30 lbs that would be good too.

Images

wow...spell check much?

We are in asheville and do lots of hiking. If you ever want to hike with anyone and get some pointers, hit me up and we can plan something. Would love to help you out. The journey is awesome, even the journey before the hike. We will also be hiking NOBO in 2012!

If you have the cash, shoot for 15 without food and water. Just depends on how minimalist you want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy from FL AKA? View Post
    I guess that is not that light, but 1012 is Not really that far away, this will give all the time I need too backpack other trails that are close to me, and many of which are categorized as strenuous. This will give me a trial, and error proses to see what will come on my trip, and what will not. I plan on being very minimalist. I want to go light, but am fit, and have the strength to carry 40 comfortably, or as least as comfortable one can be with a pack strapped to there back. So 30 to 35 lbs would help me sustain, and not spend much time in town for I want to hike passed all the white blazes with a pack on. If I could have a pack weight under 30 lbs that would be good too.

Thanks for the info man, and I would be down for doing some hiking with you guys. I have been doing allot of long distance hiking in, and around the pisca, and dupont forest areas. Not far from you. I do my hiking on the weekends mostly.

This weekend weather permitting I am going to hike mount Mitchel, and it would be nice to have someone else with a ride to park the other car at the summit parking area, so that I/we would not have to hike both up, and down the trail. This will be my first time ascending above 6,000 feet, so I am super excited about this hike.

Ha! I know it is hard to do this from, and IPHONE....

Images

Yo jeremey,
    name's bill. Would love to join ya 2012 on a.t thru-hike. Thats when im leaving too, probally a little earlier in march though. But if you want we can partner up!! Im 2012 ga-me!!! All the way bro. And im also an emt so i bring some skill ( and a first aid kit ) to the trail!!!

Images

By the way, dont let them bust your balls on a 30 lb pack it aint that bad.. Im probally gonna be around that weight, anything lower and your aiming for minalmist, which sacrifices comfort.

hey guys i am planning a northbound thru-hike starting march 15, 2012 also. I haven't been planning for this long so there is still a lot to do but if possible it would be great to have someone else to hike with.

Images

Greetings!

I'm planning 29 Feb 2012 - looking forward (or would it be backward?) to watching all you young pups blast by me. I only know what works for me, so keep sifting through White Blaze! Go to hammockforums.com, as well, to find out how the BETTER campers ... camp!

livingXtreme, just grab my wallet as you go past my dead body! That's what I teach my Scouts, anyway. My wife will give you part of the insurance money if you don't try to bring me back!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

If you are still planning on buying gear, please ask questions here, it is so easy to get a 10lb base weight today with all the lightweight gear manufacturers out today, that you will not be minimizing or sacrificing any comfort at all. If willing to sacrifice comfort a little, you can easily get to 5-6 lbs. There really is no need to carry 30-40lbs unless you are using old gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby99 View Post
    If you are still planning on buying gear, please ask questions here, it is so easy to get a 10lb base weight today with all the lightweight gear manufacturers out today, that you will not be minimizing or sacrificing any comfort at all. If willing to sacrifice comfort a little, you can easily get to 5-6 lbs. There really is no need to carry 30-40lbs unless you are using old gear.
    Isn't carrying some weight part of the experience? Trying to get down to that low a weight seems like laziness and needless expense to me. But then, I'm just a 120-pound woman who usually carries a 30-pound pack.

I'm planning to go nobo in 2012, so I'll see y'all on the trail! Hope to see more posts from you guys when 2012 draws a bit closer...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    We are in asheville and do lots of hiking. If you ever want to hike with anyone and get some pointers, hit me up and we can plan something. Would love to help you out. The journey is awesome, even the journey before the hike. We will also be hiking NOBO in 2012!
    I didn't know you guys were hiking in 2012 - so are we! (This is Jill, BTW, Serial's girlfriend ).

white blazes, magic places northernstorm's Avatar

i remember a couple years ago when 2011 seemed so far away. it creeps up much faster than you can imagine. i have 7 months.

These two articles are really all you need. Print them out and refer to them often.

10 page Backpacker Magazine article on hiking the AT (ignore the pop-ups!)

The Mountain Crossings Method Gear List (Yep, it's a complete list and tops out on the high end at only 18 lbs for a winter pack!)

Good luck!

Images

that JybbaGirl is a cutie!
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Hey I'm also planning on a March 2012 NOBO. The date isnt set in stone but sometime between the 1st and the 15th. I need to finish in time to get back to school next August, or at the very least turn this into a possible section hike. Anyways if youre looking for other lightweight ideas backpackinglight.com is a pretty good resource. Anyone got any other good resources to check out in the meantime? I'm currently in Afghanistan and during my downtime I can only spend so much time at the gym so I spend a good chunk of time perusing articles and planning.

thanks for the websites, i have just started planning so any and all information is helpful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++