WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bow Drilling???

tideblazer
    Images

Default bring it!

Absolutely bring the bow drill set!

You might need it when your hand drill isn't working!
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Yeah, I finally learned this skill. Anyways, I carry a military magnesium firestarting tool, it is just the rectangle with a firesteel rod on it. I practiced with it for a long time. I remember in the Smokies someone kind of mocked my survival skills, saying how they weren't needed. That night, when it had been snowing and raining for 2 days, and was a little below 30, I got a fire going in the shelter fireplace. As the shelter warmed up, I couldn't help but wonder that no one there was mocking my skills anymore.

I built one in the Shenandoahs as well, after 3 days of solid rain, using only natural materials and my magnesium bar. The point is, no matter what fancy gear you have, basic survival skills are a must if you are going to spend any time in the woods.

Since it won't let me edit, I forgot to mention that it took about 30 hours of practice to get the bowdrill technique down to where I could get a coal everytime in about 20 seconds. It took a lot of energy learning as well. It is definitely something you do not want to be doing in a survival situation for the first time.

You shouldn't have to take it with you, or even practice in the backyard before you go. Part of the skill is in being able to make on. Part of the skill is also learning as you go.

One week on the trail and your bow drill set will become firewood.
    Moses

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Sure take it, you'll have plenty of time to try it out. I wouldn't recommend it as your primary source of fire though. I've used a bow drill to start a fire but it isn't easy. Lots of work and if it's the slightest bit damp you'll have a problem getting a coal. A flint and steel would be easier, more reliable and requires less skill. With either method it's best to carry char cloth and tow which is a fine fiber created from flax or hemp.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Phoenix View Post
    Would it be a total waste of time and space to take out a decent set to use on the trail?? Just looking for opinions? Anyone ever done it on the trail... good experience... pointless?? Lemme know

Thank you

The Phoenix
    It's not a waste of time. It's for your enjoyment. You're going out there to have fun....enjoy!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Good choice out west. Yucca on Yucca

Take it with you on the trail and practice before you leave.
    Yucca filimentosa is pretty common in the east as an ornamental, around old farm houses and fields. A tenacious plant. Not apt to see it on the AT except around trial towns. Does work very well as spindle and base. Also very light weight.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++