WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: water

Default water

i've been reading and don't really have any clue on what most of yall do for purifying water. this topic is more random than popcorn.

do u use a filter? drops/tabs? or both? or none at all? or just figure it out as you go?

and why aquamira? on the bottle and website it says it's for large tanks...
    what about MSR's chlorine dioxide drops? same stuff?

i don't treat or filter. i drink as is. works for me

me too
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

aquamira = chlorine dioxide. its a better tasting alternative to iodine droplets (and less toxic?)

i dont think many people treat it with chemicals AND use a filter. heavily redundant. Most water, i'll just give it a stern talking to about how it shouldn't infect me... but I carry a filter to pump water out of little spits in the event water is scarce.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Down south where the water comes out of the limestone springs, (not creeks or ponds) I drank it without purifying. I've done this all my life and have never gotten sick but I do not recommed you do this unless your digestive system is used to it.

As to your question, water filters tend to clog up from debris and sand in the water, and they add weight to your pack. Aqua Mira weighs 2 ounces, (2 full bottles, parts A and B) and is handy to use. If the water source is clear use 7 drops of each part to treat 1 liter of water. Allow 5 minutes for the two parts to combine in a mixing cup which comes with it. Pour into one liter or quart of water and shake it up. Let it stand for 15-20 minutes before drinking. I used quart Gatorade bottles and after shaking it up, I would turn the bottle upside down and slowly loosen the cap and let about an ounce of water run back over the theads of the bottle and cap. This way you can be sure bacteria and other critters on the top are also zapped. One package which contains two, 1 ounce bottles lasted me about 6 -8 weeks and cost bout $8.00. Not bad.

I have heard that other hikers use 2 or 3 drops of clorax bleach in 1 liter of water and accomplish the same thing. I have not tried this but it sounds like the way to go.

I saw one hiker who carried a water bag which had a gravity fed filter in it and a 36" tube with a pinch valve. When he stopped for the night he would fill the bag which held about a gallon and then hang it up with the tube pointing down. The rate of flow from the tube was about 1 liter per 5 minutes. This gentleman who was simply known as Bob was from Ill. and thru-hiked the AT last year at age 70. He and I went thru the Mahoosuc Notch together.

Hope this helps. Happy hiking.

Images

Iodine works for me. Polar Pure to be exact.

The thing about water is everyone has their system. In all the years I have been posting here and other sites I've figured out the main thing to realize is you gotta go with what makes you comfortable. People can get into long debates about what filter protects from what disease, what solution doesn't protect from some other disease, the actual likelihood of encountering the disease you are protecting against with your method of water treatment, the actual likely causes of disease, etc. In the end it is faith. You have faith your system works and it does work for you. No amount of information to the contrary or to support a different method is going to change some peoples minds.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

i liked iodine until i used my iodized water in dehydrated meals. oops, iodine is a starch indicator. turns your meal blue purple and green.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    i liked iodine until i used my iodized water in dehydrated meals. oops, iodine is a starch indicator. turns your meal blue purple and green.
    That is part of the fun.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    That is part of the fun.
    i was under the impression that the starches bind with the iodine, hyrdolizing them and rendering a good percentage of the starches largely useless to your body. im no scientificist, but the theory's sound to my puny brain.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

My two cents:

Long ago and far away I didn't treat water. This was in the early 70's--Scouting days. Yucca canvas pack with sleeping bag with ducks and hunters inside.

Then I bought and used a filter (First Need, the original version) for a very long time. It was not in my lighter-weight era. I had no problems--worked fine, though heavy. Which didn't really matter, cause I was using a 7#, 6900 ci pack to carry most everything. What can I say? I was in my 20's.

Then American Airlines broke my filter and I needed something else. It was about the time that I entered middle age. Lighter pack, smaller tents, and PolarPur was my answer. I still have the original bottle after many years and hundreds of liters. Yea...tastes funny. And one bottle not especially useful to two or more hikers, especially in cool wx. You need your own bottle. But it's cheap and reliable.

Then came AquaMira. The two-bottle setup, I think they make tablets now. Used it on several section hikes. Almost no taste. but on a section hike of VT and most of NH in June I got eaten alive by bugs waiting the five minutes for it to mix. I wanted something else.

Now I use the MSR Miox. A bit pricey, but I bought it on sale and used my dividend from REI which removed the sting of ~$100. When I bought it I was teetering on the UV gizmo, but at the time they only had a AA-powered one, and the battery life was marginal. I think--not sure--they've changed out the DC power with some other battery well. I'm not a gearhead and don't keep up with the newest and best, so I could be wrong.

I back up the electronics with AquaMira, though the Miox has never failed.

There's lots of evidence that Chlorox drops are not as effective as one might think. Hunt around online for more. It's been awhile since I did, but I think they are temp-dependant and the mechanism is inhibited by cloudy water. I'm not an expert here, so like I said, hunt around.

Also...since boiling water kills things, probably few hikers treat water intended for cooking. The post above regarding iodine and potatoes is puzzling, as treating and boiling is redundant. Doubly redundant.

Yes, that's a joke, I just don't use those face things to imply that.

There's lots of people who don't filter; I plan my hiking vacations and spend money and budget my time for this stuff, and I'd hate to get sick on vacation because I was stupid and didn't treat. It's just not worth the risk to me. Others see differently.

You've picked a flammable subject on WB, so be prepared for plenty of 'discussion' on this matter. Just for fun, ask about guns or dogs or hiking poles.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Funkmeister View Post
    Also...since boiling water kills things, probably few hikers treat water intended for cooking. The post above regarding iodine and potatoes is puzzling, as treating and boiling is redundant. Doubly redundant.
    I fill up my 3L bladder at the beginning of the day and live off of it. If I have a spring nearby camp, I'll use that water, but often I will cook with the water in my bladder, which is already treated. I boil it to make it hot.

(actually, I don't usually boil water, I just get it to about the right temperature for my happy cooking to save on fuel... about 170degrees.)

What I do depends on the water source. If it's a spring, I drink it as is. If it's in a remote area, far from farms, mines and otherr campers, I'll drink the water. OTOH, if I'm drinking water out of a lake that is surrounded by campsites, I'll filter. If it's a river that gets farm runoff, I filter. If I'm drinking out of a cow trough (common out west) then I'll filter through a bandana and then filter from a pot. I carry iodine as backup, in case the filter fails, but because I don't like the idea of drinking cow or human poop, I still filter most of the time in developed areas. On the AT I filtered about half the time. On the GDT not at all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    i was under the impression that the starches bind with the iodine, hyrdolizing them and rendering a good percentage of the starches largely useless to your body. im no scientificist, but the theory's sound to my puny brain.
    Not sure about all that. I know you can nutralize the iodine with vitamen C and turn it into Iodide. The same stuff in iodized salt. They reccomend you use iodized salt to prevent health issues.

It's also been my experience that iodine must evaporate out - if you add starch to water you are boiling there is no changes in color. So if you are cooking with it, I belive it must be fine. Probably there is a quantity thing going on to, so even if it attaches to the starches and changes them, chances are the amount is small so you ain't losing a lot of starch even if it does bind somehow. The only time I have seen the color change is when I use treated water to rinse something that has had starch in it - like rinsing out my grits.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

The thing about water is everyone has their system. In all the years I have been posting here and other sites I've figured out the main thing to realize is you gotta go with what makes you comfortable. People can get into long debates about what filter protects from what disease, what solution doesn't protect from some other disease, the actual likelihood of encountering the disease you are protecting against with your method of water treatment, the actual likely causes of disease, etc. In the end it is faith. You have faith your system works and it does work for you. No amount of information to the contrary or to support a different method is going to change some peoples minds.
    Well said.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by phillycheze View Post
    i've been reading and don't really have any clue on what most of yall do for purifying water. this topic is more random than popcorn.

do u use a filter? drops/tabs? or both? or none at all? or just figure it out as you go?

and why aquamira? on the bottle and website it says it's for large tanks...
    what about MSR's chlorine dioxide drops? same stuff?
    Avoid water sources with smells (usually like sulphur or decaying smells). Also avoid sources near major roads or houses. They are usually contaminated with a number of chemicals. Any sources that are clear and cold and coming right out of the ground are usually at high elevations are pretty good.

Over all, boiling is the best method.

Your best filter are the ceramics. But they are very clunky and can freeze and clog & break easily. Though paper ones are still effective.

MSR has a small lightweight salt purification. I am looking at it, but still in wonder how it works.

Steripen is still under review. It uses ultraviolet light to destroy anything bad in the water. But people have had trouble with it.

Walmart carries a bottle with a filter straw for around $30, but it has a short life span.

Aquamira is the most popular of chemical treatments. No taste. Very fast reaction time.

Iodine does work. But leaves the water with a very awkward taste. Usually people will flavor their water when doing this.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I used aqua mira, no problem. Hubby is testing a steri pen this weekend with his scout troop. Esp if the gravity filter fails to work right.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I used aqua mira, no problem. Hubby is testing a steri pen this weekend with his scout troop. Esp if the gravity filter fails to work right.
    I use aqua mira for my troop. If the kids get sick, I can say I told them to wash their hands.

For myself, I judge the water source and decide whether to treat or not. Like Rock says, do what makes you comfortable.

Images

I know everyone says Aqua Mira has no taste, but I tried it and didn't like the taste. I'm use to iodine.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Yes, Aqua-mira does have some taste, but I didn't think it was overpowering.

I know everyone says Aqua Mira has no taste, but I tried it and didn't like the taste. I'm use to iodine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
    Yes, Aqua-mira does have some taste, but I didn't think it was overpowering.
    gotta get the mixology straight. 1 part water, .0001 parts aqua mira, 47 parts kentucky bourbon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++