WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cool Towns

Images

Not a town, but I really enjoyed N.O.C. I had every intention of walking through, but when I got there it was 80* and absolutely beautiful. I couldn't resist. I was amazed by how many people had been there multiple days and just couldn't get themselves to leave.

Images

"as a native of kent, im upset by this statement. odds are, they weren't residents who snobbed you and I apologize that many A55HATS have found this town."

I second this. I'm not from Kent, but I had a good experience there. Although there were no places for us to stay in town, a nice lady that owned a clothing store right off the US 7 (the main street in town) let us camp in her backyard and get water from her. If not for her we would have had to hike out...very cool. The bars and food there is a little pricey, but hey, it was good food and cold beer!

There are a lot of great trail towns, but a few stand out to me as the best: Hot Springs NC, Damascus VA, Front Royal VA, Vernon NJ, Kent CT, Dalton MA, Rutland/Inn @ long trail VT, Manchester Center VT, Hanover NH, Gorham NH. I picked these based on ease of getting around, cool places to stay, good friends to the hiker there, and what all they had to offer in the way of services, etc.

i dont live right in kent, but about an hour south and i travel up there alot, mostly for kent falls state park (best waterfall in new england if you ask me, and ive seen alot of em) and i have to agree for the most part with the snobbery. it used to be nicer and quieter even ten years ago. of course, there are good and bad everywhere, but the place is very expensive and its gotten kinda trendy mainstream with outlet stores and whatnot which brings with it the predictable crowd. of course, there are great folks there, i just dont think they are the ones most often roaming the streets. their at home being angry at whats become of their town.

I'd have to second the "don't over plan it" suggestion. There's no such thing as the "right" town to spend a zero in. I had some of my most memorable zero's in towns/hostels/campsites that wouldn't make most lists.

Daleville is a good example. We hit Catawba with 95 degree heat with humidity to match. By the time we all got to Daleville we were beat and dehydrated from the then 100 degree weather. 3 days there with as many dozen hikers was probably the best "vacation" I had from my trail vacation. But, I know that if I was alone staying in Daleville would have sucked.

I spent a few days in Gorham under similar circumstances. The weather was a lot cooler but our group couldn't fathom leaving town to head up into big mountains in big weather. Again, the town would have been a bit of a drag on your own.

The same is true of the river rafter/brewery that put 20 of us up on a Saturday/Sunday. I had one of the best parties on the entire trip at that place. But, if you're not one for all night boozing then this place might not be the best spot on a weekend.

Those are just three examples of places that normally miss the cut. I had a crap-ton of fun in all the traditional spots. Really sucked the fun out of each one. I mean, I went to Damascus and Hanover. TWICE!

But, those spur of the moment stops are the most memorable because they were ours.

Images

Oh, wow, I just realized I completely forgot about Duncannon! Then again, stay there for a day or two, and you might forget a few things, too...

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    Daleville is a good example. We hit Catawba with 95 degree heat with humidity to match. By the time we all got to Daleville we were beat and dehydrated from the then 100 degree weather. 3 days there with as many dozen hikers was probably the best "vacation" I had from my trail vacation. But, I know that if I was alone staying in Daleville would have sucked.
    That's true, I was in Daleville under similar conditions, stayed two nights. It's really only a good time with a crowd of hikers, although the A/C was nice for a change too.

Oh, and the Mexican restaraunt across from the Howard Johnson Hotel was freakin' great too!

Thank you for sharing all of your experiences. It sounds like there's a lot of fun to be had on AND off the trail. I can't wait...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++