WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    As in "dessert" not "desert"

Blackburn is nice. The hardest thing about it is how far downhill it is from the trail! (The day I left there, the climb back up to the trail was the most climb of the day). But then we all say we like the exercise, right?

The hardest thing about that place for me was all the wood chopping and hauling we did.

We set up at least a chord or two of wood for that guy.

Slap Happy, Holden, Crazy Horse, me and a couple of others worked for about two hours that morning in 2005....

Pretty place, slept on the porch, Crazy Horse played guitar, and we were fed pancakes for our efforts.

went thru 07 great stay. very large spaghetti dinner. awesome people.

Question Cost?

Is there any cost with staying at the Blackburn Trail Center? Camping and/or the hiker's cabin?

Thanks!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

They appreciate donations.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Not sure who the current residents are now, but a GREAT place!

Stayed the night there last summer on a short trip with a couple of friends. Friendly people, nice porch and superb popsicles.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by maddi View Post
    Is there any cost with staying at the Blackburn Trail Center? Camping and/or the hiker's cabin?

Thanks!
    You can phone and ask away...540-338-9028

You can hike in and stay at the hiker cabin. They like for you to check in at the main cabin - sign in, say hello, catch a meal. The caretakers stay in the carriage house now instead of the main cabin.

There's water from a faucet on the outside of the main cabin on the side of the parking lot.

There's a stove in the hiker cabin - there is wood around to stock it with.

If you're hiking nobo, take the 2nd blue blaze down to Blackburn. BOTH paths/blue blazes go directly down to the main cabin. The first one is a switchback, the 2nd one is a stone path - 1/2 way down you'll see a great campground with tent pads, privy. No running water here.

Eventually, you'll see the caretakers even if they cannot answer the phone.

In warmer weather...the ridge above Blackburn is the home of many rattlesnakes...keep your eyes open. Beautiful black snakes too that travel very quickly

Make it a stop, you will appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by maddi View Post

Thanks!
    No charge to stay at BTC.

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

Default NICE place

I walked in on a cold day, not a sole there, this was years ago, I built a fire plenty of chopped wood I slept on a leather couch and loved it ! Also used telephone on porch ! NICE

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    No charge to stay at BTC.
    You are correct again dear Companion Wizard (I like that Tricks)...

There is a donation box.

The hiker cabin is available to anyone, hopefully hikers can donate something.

Thru-hikers also get a nice dinner - if a hiker is there prior to cooking so the caretakers can plan.

It is owned by the PATC.

The main cabin, the cabin with the wrap-around porch, can be rented if you are a member of the PATC.

Thanks for all of the information. But now you have me thinking...can non-thru-hikers buy a meal? It seems like there would be good company. And would they be there in early March? Many thanks!

Stayed at BTC Friday night. The new caretaker, Brian, is awesome. Cooked a great meal, very friendly, has the place in good shape. Brian, if you see this, thanks again for everything. Watching the sun rise from in front of the main house is a great way to spend the morning. (Nicholas)

Bayou
    Journal Entries

Exclamation

WARNING!!! NOTICE!!!

Last year I was going to the "Pit" to take a leak. I was in my clogs and stepped on a rusty nail, which went over a inch into my foot. Wear BOOTS anytime you leave the porch!!! The caretaker said the nail a washed out when it rains. Hope signs have been posted around the pouch.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

And make sure your tetanus shots are up to date.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Because Blackburn can sleep so many people, PATC often uses it for a training venue. I attended a Griphoist workshop there taught by Fred Lashley (we built some of the stone staircase above Blackburn) and later I taught a course there on traditional tools. Not everyone who rents it is a maintainer though, which makes for some interesting hiker-renter interactions.

But I must add my own snake story to the many, and it may explain why there are so many snake stories associated with BTC. While visiting Blackburn in April 2003, I ran into a fellow who was a self-described snakemeister. He was on his way to a snake den near there and asked if I wanted to join him. How could I pass up that op? He started over the mountain and we walked a LONG way, eventually coming to an overlook. As we approached the overlook, he slowed down and said "walk where I walk and step where I step". Soon it seem that every rock I stepped on had a buzzing sound beneath it. At the overlook, there were dozens of snakes-- mostly timber rattlers, but some copperheads, still denned up from the winter, but coiled in the sun on southwest-facing ledges. My companion lifted many with a hooked pole and took notes on their size, coloring, etc. He stated that later in the spring all the snakes would disperse and would do so within a narrow period of time. If one happened to be hiking near there on that day, it would be snakes-a-plenty on the Trail.

Interesting the people you meet at Blackburn Trail Center.

Images

i gave em ten bucks for my stay. well worth it with a door on the shelter and a wood burning stove INSIDE it as well. they invited me into the house for dinner and were very accomodating. it usually has ptac workers staying there and the nearby bears den hostel. i agree desert rat, the blue blaze back up to the AT is a heck of a way to start a morning. ive come to believe that all the signs and books say "0.2 miles on blue blazed trail" regardless of actual distance. i always dreaded the downhill blueblazes towards a shelter because it guarantees a fairly uncomfortable "good morning" during the return to the white blazes when your minds still in your sleeping bag and your bodys protesting such a rough beginnning.
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++