WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Here are the directions from Baltimore:

Take I-70 west towards Frederick. At Frederick, look for the U.S. Highway 340 exit. Take the "Harpers Ferry 340 exit" heading south (the exit sign may actually be shown as 340 west) towards West Virginia. After crossing over the Potomac River bridge make a left shortly afterwards at the traffic signal (VA Highway 671). Take VA 671 to the end where it meets up with VA Highway 9 (traffic signal there). Make a left at VA 9 heading east. Travel on VA 9 for a relative short distance and look for Cider Mill Road on the right. Make a right on Cider Mill Road. Follow Cider Mill Road to Woodbridge Road (another relative short distance). Make a right on Woodbridge Road (County Road 719). Take Woodbridge Road (less than about five miles) to Appalachian Trail Road (County Road 713). Make a right on Appalachian Trail Road. This road will take you to Blackburn.

Images

Default Driving to Blackburn Trail Center?

Hey all,

I have a friend who is wanting to meet me and do a day hike into Harper's Ferry with me. Does anyone know if you can actually drive to and park your car for a few days at the Blackburn Trail Center?

I've tried emailing and calling/left a message with the PATC, the club who runs the thing, but no answer either way...and I'm really needing to get this resolved, as I'm heading out for a 4 day hike tomorrow.

If you can drive/park (for a day...maybe 1 overnite), does anyone know really good directions? My friend would be coming from Charlottesville, VA. Thanks for any help!
    The Most Important Things In Life Are Not Things....

Images

Default Duh....

Oh man...I posted my last question, and when it posted, I look at the post above it and there's the stupid directions! I'm assuming these are still good directions?

Also, anyone know if these roads are like dirt/gravel? Thanks.
    The Most Important Things In Life Are Not Things....

The only problem with Blackburn is that it's a long way down from the ridge. (Maybe a 10 minute hike back up in the AM.) It's a nice place. There's a bunkhouse (I didn't stay in it -- I set up my tent in the lawn instead.) Good views to the east. Hopeful and Redwing served us coffee, OJ and muffins in the morning, and offered cold sodas on request. There's a solar shower that was working well when I was there. Water from a spigot on the side of the main building. There is also an extensive camping area above the main facility. Thumbnail is a view of the main building from the lawn.

I am a PATC member that would like to take a group on an overnight backpacking trip from Blackburn to David Lesser and back. We are looking at Dec 1/2 2007 Would like to know if we can park two vehicles at or near Blackburn overnight. I have stopped at Blackburn before but can't recall if there's any parking. I'm sure it's limited.

this time of year should be no problem. i've parked there in the summer and had no problem

Info about the Blackburn Trail Center from the PATC:

http://potomacappalachian.org/index....d=87&Itemid=37
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Images

You won't have any problems parking there, even during busy hiker season there is parking room. You will have to park at the "Trailhead" parking signs and not up by the cabin though. The upper parking lot by the center is for handicap, caretakers, etc. It's a steep walk up, go early

There are 2 paths/blue blazes going up to the A.T./ridge: one on the right is a more direct hike up, steep and beautiful stone stairway, and 1/2 way up on this side you can see one of the campground areas - it's real nice. The other blue blaze going up to the A.T. can be accessed directly behind Blackburn, you'll see an old stone staircase, this way is switchbacks. On a warm day, you'll see lots of big black snakes-they are awesome.

Don't forget to stop in at Blackburn and say hello...Red Wing and Hopeful will soon be the caretakers at Bears Den so they'll be leaving soon. Queen Diva moving on. Don't know if Trailboss has a new caretaker(s) at Blackburn yet or not. I wish I could relocate right now, I would beg for that job.

BTW, the carriage house (next to Blackburn) upstairs unit will soon be the new caretaker's quarters... inlaid pine and wood stove...beautiful! I slept up there several times.

Whereabouts is the work you all are doing in that area? And thank you for your volunteer service !!!

(I didn't read all the previous posts; don't know if any of this info was covered)

Don't know if Trailboss has a new caretaker(s) at Blackburn yet or not. I wish I could relocate right now, I would beg for that job.
    Do they have DSL?

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
    I am a PATC member that would like to take a group on an overnight backpacking trip from Blackburn to David Lesser and back. We are looking at Dec 1/2 2007 Would like to know if we can park two vehicles at or near Blackburn overnight. I have stopped at Blackburn before but can't recall if there's any parking. I'm sure it's limited.

There is ample parking below Blackburn Center, at designated spaces along the unpaved road you take to drive up there. The caretakers and PATC strongly discourage parking right up near the main house.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Do they have DSL?
    No. Dial-up.

Harpers Ferry has a coffee shop now that has wifi

Guess I won't be doing any care taking at the Blackburn Trail Center then. I may, however, drink lots of coffee in Harpers Ferry!

Don't know if Trailboss has a new caretaker(s) at Blackburn yet or not. I wish I could relocate right now, I would beg for that job.
    [/QUOTE]

http://potomacappalachian.org/index....454&Itemid=149
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by veteran View Post
    http://potomacappalachian.org/index....454&Itemid=149

I'm available but then I wouldn't be able to hike. Plus, I'm not sure I want to cater to demanding hikers. The cool ones are OK. If they had DSL I'd consider it.

Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

We stopped to get water but should have left our packs up top. The decent to and acent from was one of the hardest of the day!
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    We stopped to get water but should have left our packs up top. The decent to and acent from was one of the hardest of the day!
    Ewww that IS a steep walk up isn't it !

There are 2 blue blazes / paths that lead to the mountaintop above Blackburn: switchbacks or the stone staircase (some of that being a handbuilt wood staircase). If you took the latter, you get to see the great campground midway. Nice tent pads, privy, campfire ring. I slept there several times and loved it. Great place for boy scouts too. I think there are 4 - 5 tent pads, so if you hike down from the A.T., this campground is only 1/2 way down to Blackburn. But hike all the way down to Blackburn. There's a great hiker cabin with a wood stove, or you can tent outside.

At the top of the mountain on the A.T., is the one the best areas to view rattlers. There is an area there between these large boulders and rocks that the rattlers love to sunbathe, which is also a pathway to the opposite side of that mountaintop that leads to a beautiful view of Leesburg VA.

Obviously the less steep/hardest is the switchbacks

When you're hiking and see the sign for Blackburn going northbound, the first blue blaze is the switchback, second is the stone staircase. Take either, but hike down into Blackburn - you'll be glad you did.

I neglected to write that our dear friend Weathercarrot is responsible for most of the stonework there. Also, the Cadillac Trail Crew / PATC maintains the center, grounds, area, Trail, not to mention what work our valued caretakers do! (Wish I could claim that title-darn.) There are others that maintain the Trail in that area, individuals. You know who you are
    Last edited by StarLyte; 04-14-2008 at 12:34. Reason: additions

Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

Does anyone know the mailing adress for the center?

BTW
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    Does anyone know the mailing adress for the center?

BTW
    per ALDHA directory...

Blackburn Trail Center
    34899 Appalachian Trail Road
    Round Hill VA 20141
    540-338-9028

I stayed at Blackburn last while doing a few days going sobo. This place was nice! The water was a real treat as well as Eric & Tina who ran. I would definetly stop by again and recommend to anyone looking for a little break from the trail.

Default BIG question...

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    per ALDHA directory...

Blackburn Trail Center
    34899 Appalachian Trail Road
    Round Hill VA 20141
    540-338-9028
    Do they accept maildrops?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++