WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The water from the park doesn't taste the best. Kind of like rusty pipe. Hey Mike I was also at the hang.

Default To the overseer

John the place looks way better than I remember it. Great work. Looks like you must of enjoyed your visit to Rocky Run Shelter once upon a day and decided to do the same thing. Haven't been up there for quite some time. Keep up the good work.

Karl Goodman

Former overseer of Rocky Run Shelter ( 86-98 )

Images

Me and my friend stayed here on our section hike of 85 miles and it was by far our favorite shelter! Nice cozy setting, clean, old school... No water, strange animal noises all night, and a messed up trail log... you would think we would hate it. NO WAY! This shelter rocks, I just hope everyone else still forgets about it so I can enjoy it again.

;-)

Default Crampton Gap Shelter

The spring is dry, I was at the shelter today doing some trail work. The water source at the park should still be available. About 1/2 mile round trip.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I stayed here in November 2011. As noted this shelter has a nice tenting area on the blue blaze trail leading to the shelter. The spring was pretty low, and filled with leaves. Even after digging it out and letting it settle it still looked kinda nasty. So I headed back to the state park, which is maybe 1/4 of a mile from the shelter, for water. There is a faucet at the state park, and the water out of it tasted fine. Had a nice evening there. Didn't hear the weird animal sounds, but did hear an owl and had a dog run through camp in the middle of the night chasing deer.

Images

I have good memories of this place. I herd of boy scouts were camped down the hill from the shelter and fed me until I burst.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

According to Reddit user and /r/appalachiantrail subscriber pto892, the Crampton Gap Shelter is now closed due to a fire that burned down the porch and the overhang. Here is the comment that pto892 left on Reddit:

"The Crampton Gap Shelter in the Maryland AT section is closed down for the time being. Somebody burned down the deck and porch over the weekend, and until it's repaired the shelter is closed indefinitely. The tent sites and spring are still open for business though. The Maryland Natural Resources Police are investigating and would like any leads if available. Hopefully it'll be fixed by the spring."

Here's a link to the comment left:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/AppalachianT...ter_is_closed/
    steep grade, sharp curve - ymsb

Thats a shame. We hiked to Crampton Gap back in May of 2013 and was a very nice hike. The shelter itself was very nice with its location. The forest was lush and setting out on the porch watching it rain was awsome. Glad to see the campsites are still up though. Nice area.

This is a picture of us at the shelter.

014.jpg

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

According to the ATC, it's since been repaired (in March):

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/trail-updates
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Journal Entries
    Images

Stopped by here this afternoon on my way home from Garfield shelter. Big thanks to the awesome job being done by the volunteers and caretakers on this one. The trail is in excellent shape with new water diversion logs and the shelter and surrounding ammenities in great shape! The spring is still dry, but a frostproof water spigot is right next to the rest area at the park close by (closer than the 5 levels of hell at Garfield... ). From the log it looks like I just mised 'Jersey Girl' and the mad hiker....had a great time at Garfield, sorry our paths did not cross again.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

In good shape, a ways off the AT. Felt like the blue blaze kept dropping and dropping. Heard cows and machinery, as well as shotguns when I stayed there Saturday 4/22. Shared the shelter with Meandering Snail, the one and only.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++