WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I talked to the PATC when they were building the new one. Looked really nice (the old one was in shambles and snake infested). Ended up at the campsite north of there and some annoying, VERY overweight girl gave us a hassle about the way we smelled. We were so ticked off we hiked another 8 mile to some state park to sleep!

Images

May have been the same fatass I followed for about a mile along the AT as she yacked into her cell phone - I was ready to strangle her. I finally stopped and let her get some distance.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Default Nice place

Was through this section of trail in early June *after some BAD storm had blown through and left TONS of blow downs on the MD stretch of trail* The NEW shelter appeared to be entirely complete BUT had the entrance boarded off ... so I assume there are some finishing touches needed. Looks to be a nice shelter BUT I personally would opt for the OLD one when its restored as I like the less Hilton style shelters and think its a bit more rustic and scenic down by the old shelter. Its also nice to listen to the gushing water from the spring and to spot critters in the evening or early AM coming for a drink.
    I'm sure by now the new one has been opened? I ended up hiking down to the water source which is directly down the hill next to the OLD Rocky Run Shelter. GREAT water source! Anywho old shelter was all warning tapped off, read up that its going to be restored. I'm glad they're even acquiring the same kind of logs from the same type of tree to do the restoration. The privy is out near the old shelter and was nice for AT standards. Spent the night at the "tent site" area near the shelter with a young man named Bill from near Lancaster PA. Nice place to stay the night, get up early and hike the short distance to Dahlgren for a FREE HOT shower and use of REAL toilets.

The Frederick News Post has an article on the new shelter and the restored old shelter w/photos.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

stayed at the new shelter and was there while the ld was being worked on great stop great water

Stopped in on Nov 23 to see the upgrade. Nice deck! Good spring.
    Brings back old memories for me, staying here in the '70's and 80's.
    A real nice spot, in a quiet nook on the side of Lamb's Knoll.

Overnighted at Rocky Run on 3/7/09. Both shelters were in good shape and the spring was running nicely. The deck on the new shelter was nice and the chairs were comfortable. There is a composting privy that is a bit more open than others but the opening was facing away from the shelters so it's okay.

I was expecting to be away from civilization but there was a house visible about 800 feet away from the tent sites on the hill above the shelters. It wouldn't be seen if there had been leaves on the trees.

However, the home owners apparently own a four wheeler that needs a tuneup. They rode it around for about an hour midday on Saturday and it was backfiring a lot. I didn't hear any traffic noise and otherwise the stay was uneventful.

Any updates on this area? May stop here on my way south for the night and wanted to know the status of the spring and availability of tent sites.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by the_ox View Post
    Any updates on this area? May stop here on my way south for the night and wanted to know the status of the spring and availability of tent sites.

Thanks in advance
    There are plenty of tenet sites and the spring is a pipe next to the old shelter.

Tumblreweed

Old Shelter

Spring

New Shelter -
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Stopped here for lunch on 10/9. Spring was flowing well enough. New shelter looks great. Unfortunately, stink bugs have taken over and were dropping onto my head while I stood on the porch. Nasty little things.

If you look around in the woods nearby, you will find trenches that were used during the battle of South Mountain. Yes, this is an old battleground.

Default rocky run in 2013

Anyone been through there lately? What's the water source like? will be there later this week

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kerosenehat View Post
    Anyone been through there lately? What's the water source like? will be there later this week
    Water is plentiful in MD right now.

Just stayed at Rocky Run on 01/03/2013. It was a cold and rainy night, but the new shelter was awesome! No fire, because of the rain, but I was nice and warm anyway...

10917354_10203368177391635_5343329385102794363_n.jpg10917315_10203368174551564_7910992000599698894_n.jpg1524658_10203368176511613_1357176325395361900_n.jpg

I just wanted to add to this thread since it was a little dated. I stayed there on 28/March/2017. Just like the pics above show, there are two shelters there. An old one and a newer one. There are 5 tent pads up the hill from the newer shelter and each have a fire pit. The pads are just 4x4s making a square. They aren't really leveled off and rocky. It's going to be hard to avoid the rocks if you have a tent bigger than one man. There are other places to put your tent or hammock just past those. On your way to the older shelter, farther down the blue blaze, there is a much nicer place to put your tent with fewer rocks but no individual fire pits. The place is huge and can accommodate a lot of people. You have to pass the old shelter to get to the water. It's a bit creepy looking but someone stayed in there and I didn't hear any complaints.

Found 11/8/20: cypress/cedar walking stick.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++