WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Taba View Post
    You guys are unbelievable. Why can't there be somebody who earns his way through life by hiking.
    There could, there just hasn't been any examples of someone who was paid to hike.

Paid to guide, paid to write, paid to test gear, but never have I seen an ad saying, Wanted: someone to hike year after year. You don't have to write articles/books, guide anyone, test any gear. All you have to do is hike a lot, nohting else required. Will pay $50,000.

There are a lot of hikers who earn a living in conjunction with their hiking. I bought a Packa from Cedar Tree. But I gave him money, not for him to hike, but for him to make me a Packa (and a fine job he did). I bought more hiking books and DVDs (and a half doxen VCR tapes) from hikers. But again, I didn't pay them to hike, I paid them for making a DVD, writing a book, whatever.

It isn't that big a deal if few here agree with you. There are darn few topics here where everyone is in agreement. Call yourself what ever you want. That is a lot easier than trying to make other people call you what you want to be called.
    Frosty

if you have to hike to write the book, test the gear, etc. then you're paid to hike.

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    if you have to hike to write the book, test the gear, etc. then you're paid to hike.
    well ****. add bill bryson to the list.

Bill Bryson wrote a story not a manual or guidebook.

Is there anyone who will take on the 100 Hiker Challenge? There are 3 people so far who have agreed to it already. I thought this site was full of hikers. For the most part all I have seen is a bunch of editors who want to pick apart every word in every post and be negative about it. I think you're scared to go into the woods.

Come on 1 week or 100 miles on the Mountains-to-Sea Trail. I am still going to hike it both directions this year. Who is going to join me?

Taba

I thought this site was full of hikers. For the most part all I have seen is a bunch of editors who want to pick apart every word in every post and be negative about it. I think you're scared to go into the woods.
    Who is going to join me?

Taba
    Maybe they're out hiking (the trail of THEIR choice)

I'm on another continent, but you are more than welcome to join me on the trail i've been designing here in Asia. It's pretty scenic with some of the world's top beaches in the views and even on the trail at one point, but (I realize it's not for everyone with cobras and elephants and gigantic wasps and all)

But I am heading to the PCT in July.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Maybe they're out hiking (the trail of THEIR choice)

I'm on another continent, but you are more than welcome to join me on the trail i've been designing here in Asia. It's pretty scenic with some of the world's top beaches in the views and even on the trail at one point, but (I realize it's not for everyone with cobras and elephants and gigantic wasps and all)

But I am heading to the PCT in July.
    Great if they are hiking. That just brings more attention to our sport/lifestyle. I don't mind snakes, large mammals, and bugs. You finish designing the trail and I will hike it. Challenge accepted!!!

Good luck and good weather on the PCT.

Taba

The Mountains-to-Sea Trail has the posibilities of being just as fun as the Appalachian Trail it just needs to see more people. The more hikers that are on the trail, the more the towns would realize the market and will increase the support for thru-hikers. Just think if 100 hikers went into 20 towns and spent $100 each in each town each year. How much money would that bring to North Carolina? In today's terminology "It would stimulate the economy." We would see more outfitters, hostels and festivals in all of these towns. Wouldn't it be nice to go to another festival just as big as "Trail Days." Why is that a bad goal to have? Why is everybody giving me so much slack because of one word in the entire post when all I am trying to do is help our culture grow and create more avenues for adventure. Quit being negative and help? It's really not a lot to ask.

By the way, everybody who hikes the Appalachian Trail will be hiking 3.5 miles of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail when they get to Clingman's Dome before the MST leaves and goes east.

By the way, everybody who hikes the Appalachian Trail will be hiking 3.5 miles of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail when they get to Clingman's Dome before the MST leaves and goes east.
    since when? so you're saying the AT/MST are one in the same for 3.5 miles north of clingmans dome then the MST hooks a right and goes across the road?

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

...Yes, professional does mean that you have to be good at it and have an impressive resume...
    I'm a registered nurse, I belong to a profession. I have a "license to practice"; it doesn't mean, I have to be any good at it, or have an impressive resume. Just sayin'.
    Enjoy your work on exposing the MST to more fellow hikers.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

lol this thread is still going? this forum should be renamed whiteflame.net

it's just too hard to wish the guy luck with his goal and be done with it? but noooo... pick a part every aspect of it from specifics to logistics to geographical accuracy and let the flames fly!!! LW maybe you didnt get close enough to death to really realize what a great new lease on life you have. why dont you get off your high horse and try to be a decent and helpful person and encourage ppl to help Taba out with his goal? and restless? totem? *** are you nubs thinking?

i saw a thread on here awhile back that someone said you people really need to get out more and quit being such pompus ass's on this forum. take the advice and do everyone here a favor.

now please all feel free to pick apart my grammar and punctuation and whatever else you want and prove my point right.

and btw good luck once again Taba

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    since when? so you're saying the AT/MST are one in the same for 3.5 miles north of clingmans dome then the MST hooks a right and goes across the road?
    Yes, I am saying that. That is where this trail starts. If you go to Clingman's Dome you will see the signs for the MST. Right after Mt. Collins shelter is where the MST leaves the AT.

Then I profess to be a hiker and a good one at that. It's scary to think that a nurse feels that they don't have to be good at their job. America's medical system at work, huh?

The Appalachian Trail is like hiking in the mall, where theres lots of other mall walkers.

Images

The Appalachian Trail is like hiking in the mall, where theres lots of other mall walkers.
    Guessing you haven't read this one...

"That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

oh. but hiking the MST is like climbing everest

ain't most of it road walking?

Images

Is there anyone who will take on the 100 Hiker Challenge? There are 3 people so far who have agreed to it already. I thought this site was full of hikers. For the most part all I have seen is a bunch of editors who want to pick apart every word in every post and be negative about it. I think you're scared to go into the woods. <snip>
    Well, to be fair, around 30 different folks have posted to your thread. I think significantly less have picked apart your posts and were negative. As far as "scared to go in the woods", there's one reason for the negative posts. For the record, I remember you getting a warm welcome here when you first started posting.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

ain't most of it road walking?
    about half.

nope. nothing professional about walking with a pack. no training needed. it's just a recreational activity. you're a hobbyist is all
    I think I agree although the word "hobbyist" seems a bit out of place, sort of like a couch-potato stamp collector or something.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeever View Post
    Are you an official w/the MST? My understanding is that it is 500 miles of trail, and the rest is road walking which can in no way be compared to 42% of the AT. It's good to bring positive publicity to a trail, but misinformation can cause damage. That also goes for creditability.
    And my question for Taba is this: How are you going to get 100 hikers to stealth camp around Greensboro and not get caught? Could get a bit awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Perhaps professional horn tooter?

By your definition ,many of us are "professional hikers". We just don't need to list every mile hiked and ever trail walked.

I guess what we are saying is that it is not what you are saying..it is how you are saying it. "Extreme" (for an earlier thread) and "professional" hiker obviously aren't playing well to the audience.

You may want to re-think how you are packaging your product...

Guess it really doesn't matter. Good luck on your extreme professional hiking!
    Self-promotion and tooting our own horn is a common human drive and backpackers are no different or less ambitious than the rest of humanity. I tried to get on Taba's Trail Journal site but it came up blank. My simple advice to Taba would be to let your trip reports do the talking, and sure, invite backpackers to join you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rentman View Post
    Here ya got a guy wanting to promote an fairly untraveled Trail and all ya want to do is pick apart his meaning of "Professional", gotta love WhiteBlaze.........................
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdFire View Post

lol Yea this forum really amazes me sometimes. Their are so many vultures just waiting to jump on every post to just tear it apart with no regards to the topic or the intended message. I think it's just to increase post count or to increase the size of their E-P****

Anyways Taba good luck with your goal
    I think people react quickly and bluntly to a fellow backpacker when they blatantly hang out their 'superior qualifications' for all to see. It rankles. But then again, he did make a bonafide invite to anyone willing to hike the MST. I would surely like to join him or at least do some of my favorite sections with him(Linville Gorge/Greentown/Harpers/Trout Lake), but to be honest I have a feeling he'd be moving way faster than I'd want to go. When I see the words 'pro hiker', I immediately think of 20-30 mile days, way beyond my hiking speed.

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    alot of the people on this website have hiked more miles by accident than you have on purpose
    There's more truth to this than you'd think. Some of the real backpacking legends hike and live outdoors their whole lives and keep their mouths shut about it. Word gets around slowly and a few other people know about them. They die off and stay hidden for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    One yardstick I use is this: An amateur does it until he gets it right. A professional does it until he can't get it wrong. Sure, money helps, but it's not the only measure. Lots of volunteer firefighters are true professionals at what they do.
    As soon as I read this I thought of the hubris of expert backpacking, and then having a tree fall on my tent or a random lightning strike. My theory is, what you love will kill you. If a person loves backpacking, camping and living outdoors, he'll probably die while doing these things. So, a 'professional' is just someone who lasted to the bitter end and finally got it wrong. Or right, depends on point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    It seems whenever I can get out to do a trip, (which is not as often as I would like, b/c of being a daddy, and running my landscaping business), I usually end up planning another AT section hike. Although, the MST is so tempting b/c of locale,,,, it passes close (Greensboro) to where I live. I'm w/in 20 minutes of the trail. That being said, if you're coming thru this area during a time that my schedule permits, I'd love to join you for at least a few days. For a number of years now, I've been trying to talk myself into section hiking the MST, mostly b/c of proximity. Your challenge may be the kick in the butt I need.
    There is a 43 mile stretch from South Walnut Cove to Bryan Park that's half road and half around lakes Brandt and Townsend. It would be a 3 to 4 day trip and I will be there around the 2nd week in July and in the beginning of October on my way back, going the other direction. That is a great section and I know a great lakeside beach for swimming. There are several deer in the area. The road walk follows bicycle routes and it runs through small farms and a couple of small towns. Resupply and fast food will not be a problem around here. And I have some friends in the area, just in case we need them.

Taba
    I know the Greensboro section well and this is where I should've put my above question regarding 100 backpackers stealth camping. It should be said, some of the MST is closed to overnight camping. Doesn't make much sense, does it? I have a stupid question: Is the road walking sections open to overnight camping?? Or is it like the usual "wait until it gets dark and scoot on over into the treeline"?

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    While I like others take issue with the word "professional", I must say that the MST is a wonderful trail, at least the section I've seen (Clingmans Dome to Moses Cone area).
    Yeah, I love the Moses Cone area, Trout Lake and the hike up to the Temple of the Gods(Rich Mt). I've backpacked this area for years, swam in Trout Lake and even stealth camped around Bass Lake one night. It's hard to believe a long distance trail passes thru my old backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    There could, there just hasn't been any examples of someone who was paid to hike.

Paid to guide, paid to write, paid to test gear, but never have I seen an ad saying, Wanted: someone to hike year after year. You don't have to write articles/books, guide anyone, test any gear. All you have to do is hike a lot, nohting else required. Will pay $50,000.
    The reality is that most long term backpackers and "always out" types are impoverished self-chosen bums willing to forego marriage and the indoor family life for the free ranging glorious nylon humping world of wilderness and long-trail living. So, swap the word 'professional' with the words 'seriously committed' and you end up with the same thing. To be committed to living out of a backpack permanently means, for the most part, living in poverty with intermittent work, living off the grid and without a home, not having a car to support or tie you down to a certain backpacking area(a long-term parked car raises red flags), and seriously avoiding becoming a Dad with mouths to feed. These types get the most bag nights and the most trail miles. Why? Cuz they never stop living outdoors.

The speed hikers and triple crowners can make a name for themselves in one short season/year, and they can parlay their 'fame' into possible gear endorsements/whatever, but the guys living out all the time and with the most bag nights hardly ever get noticed and the only records they break won't be set until after 10 or 20 years of living out. To me, the only real professional hiker is the one who always lives out, period. It's their life, not a hobby. My fetid opinion.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++