WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    does anyone else see the irony of this post?
    Ohh yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Taba View Post
    If you don't like "Professional Hiker" how about "Professional Nomad." Either way my resume and the quality of my work is that of professional status. People retire after doing something for 20 years. I am just beginning. This is what I do to sustain my life and like I said I don't get paid but I get rewarded. Maybe someday I will find out how to get paid.
    You need to become a professional raft guide. You will actually be getting paid while you enjoy something outdoors, and there are rafting venues all over this land, and all over the world for that matter. your mecca should be the zambezie in africa.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamsoftrails View Post
    You need to become a professional raft guide. You will actually be getting paid while you enjoy something outdoors, and there are rafting venues all over this land, and all over the world for that matter. your mecca should be the zambezie in africa.
    No, I like what I do now. I am doing something phenomenal for the Mountain-to Sea Trail. I am fixing the camping issues for the trail and providing a valuable resource for anyone who wants to attempt thru-hiking it. How many more people are thru-hiking the trail this year than there were last year? I think that some of the people here are narrow minded and have nothing more to do but to try and defeat success. To live big you have think big!

Taba

who cares what some old grumpy men on an internet message board have to say? if you think you've earned a title, then by all means embrace it. FTW and good luck on your future adventures man.

All I see is the humor in how people can't fathom having a profession as a hiker. This is my job. I hike and promote my product of adventure to sustain my lifestyle. I earn my right to be out here everyday.

Taba

Geezer

No, I like what I do now. I am doing something phenomenal for the Mountain-to Sea Trail. I am fixing the camping issues for the trail and providing a valuable resource for anyone who wants to attempt thru-hiking it. How many more people are thru-hiking the trail this year than there were last year? I think that some of the people here are narrow minded and have nothing more to do but to try and defeat success. To live big you have think big!

Taba
    Lotsa people do a lot of work on trails. You just don't know about them because they don't post three times a day telling everyone how awesome they are for doing it. Congrats and thanks to all, including both walkers and Professional Hikers.
    Frosty

Images

All I see is the humor in how people can't fathom having a profession as a hiker. This is my job. I hike and promote my product of adventure to sustain my lifestyle. I earn my right to be out here everyday.

Taba
    You already know that, and its your reality. No sense in thinking that "some of the people here are narrow minded and have nothing more to do but to try and defeat success". You have gone back and forth with a couple people on a message board over this profession label, it's not like you are in a serious battle over your livelihood. The MST is your thing, and you know what they say: "It's your thang, do what you wanna do".
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Taba
    You are doing important stuff. Valuable stuff that adds to the hiker community in general. I agree with Ed Bell. Do your thing and don't let little trivial stuff get in your way or slow you down. Keep up the good work.

With 3 sponsors, like Leki (hiking poles), Teva (footwear) and Wandering Buddha (fleece clothing), I think that qualifies as a professional.
    Taba
    You claim to be sponsored by these companies, but I don't see your name listed anywhere. Also, nothing comes up in a Google search. Could you please post a link that backs up your claim?

You can go to my website. There is a sponsor page that has links to Teva's website where there are stories from their tribe and links to Leki and Trail Hound. They are only supplying equipment for now, but I beleive that they understand the ultimate goal.

www.Thru-hiker.us

P.S. I just finished hiking the MST for the second time at 4pm August 7th, 2009. I am now on my way back to Clingman's Dome.

Taba

That is info YOU put on YOUR website.
    There is nothing about you on Leki's or Teva's website. Who is your contact at Leki and Teva?

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
    That is info YOU put on YOUR website.
    There is nothing about you on Leki's or Teva's website. Who is your contact at Leki and Teva?
    Yes Taba, you must answer to and prove everything and anything that every jealous person or person with wierd issues comes up with. It's either that or just ignore them and continue on with your awsome project.

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Yes Taba, you must answer to and prove everything and anything that every jealous person or person with wierd issues comes up with. It's either that or just ignore them and continue on with your awsome project.
    No, doesn't have to "answer to and prove everything and anything." Just prove one thing: That he is sponsored by these companies. Funny how he can't do that. Do a little research before you get fooled again TD55.

Images

No, doesn't have to "answer to and prove everything and anything." Just prove one thing: That he is sponsored by these companies. <snip>
    In the interest of accuracy, Arizona has a point. A free pair of hiking sticks, a living does not make. Actually, it sounds like Taba is paying them, in a way. It's not strange that folks who love hiking are curious about someone who claims to be a professional. Who wouldn't want to earn a living doing what they love to do?

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    In the interest of accuracy, Arizona has a point. A free pair of hiking sticks, a living does not make. Actually, it sounds like Taba is paying them, in a way. It's not strange that folks who love hiking are curious about someone who claims to be a professional. Who wouldn't want to earn a living doing what they love to do?
    There was once a single professional for bicycling, skydiving, surfing, skating and so on before they were popular sports. May be I am the first to start a professional class of hikers.

I would have to ask my contacts at these companies if they want their name to appear on this forum before I indulge that information. You are correct I am doing a lot for these companies however I am not paying them anything. This is just the beginning. At least they have shown an initial interest into someone who wants to increase the popularity of a culture that we all enjoy and thank you for your interest. How about a congratulations for achieving something that everyone thinks is an impossible task instead of trying to bash me every chance you get. I am achieving huge goals on a daily basis!

Taba

No, doesn't have to "answer to and prove everything and anything." Just prove one thing: That he is sponsored by these companies. Funny how he can't do that. Do a little research before you get fooled again TD55.
    Research what, the definition of "sponsor". Some companys gave him some free stuff. The stuff has a financial value. That means they are helping to finance his project. When someone contributes to your project they are sponsoring you. Maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps we should debate the meaning of "sponsor" the way we have debated the meaning of professional.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Perhaps we should debate the meaning of "sponsor" the way we have debated the meaning of professional.
    Don't get em started... you know they'll jump at the chance.

Congrats Taba,,, yoyo on brother!!

Images

Taba, I haven't "bashed" you. Let alone "any chance I get". Forget I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    Taba, I haven't "bashed" you. Let alone "any chance I get". Forget I asked.
    That was not directed towards you personally. But you do have to admit that there are several people who are on here that do try to bring negative views on this subject with just about every post they do. I can name names if you would like, but I just don't have the time, nor the want, to go back through and pull out all of the negative quotes. I am still trying to become friends with everybody here. I am a great person. This poking match we have going on here is sometimes fun and sometimes annoying. There is a bigger picture here that most people are overlooking. I encourage everyone to look passed their nose and understand what I am trying to accomplish. It is not just going to benefit me but everybody in the hiking community. We will see an increase in interest of our culture if we stop being so narrow minded about hiking. We can be more than just "Walkers"! I am out to prove that.

No excuses, just hike!!!

Taba

GO Taba
    I can't believe that any hiker or outdoorsman doesn't admire or at least wish they could do what you are doing and live that lifestyle at least for a while weather thy admit it or not

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++