WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Images

Mountains to Sea trail? I always wondered if I'd get in trouble for hiking it backwards. I mean a west bound hiker is doing Sea to Mountains.

Taba has learned an important lesson about the world. If you go around telling people you are wonderful 10% will believe you and that's enough to get followers. If you don't tell anybody then no one will follow you.

I, by the way, am a professional Hawaiian Beach Inspector. If you'd like to sponsor me just have your credit card ready and call 555-SPEEDOS.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Taba, I think it is great what you are doing.

But, plenty of people do write guides, give advice and walk 25-30 MPD without the need for a title. Just saying.

Just hike, do your good work and the rest will fall into place.

Happy Trails!
    Last edited by Mags; 07-26-2009 at 16:15.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Call yourself what you like
    just give me directions to the trail sounds like an adventure

Images

I think everyone including you, Taba, should let the "professional hiker" thing rest. Just putting it out there...

Images

Oh, and AMEN to frosty's post (last day in May, I think). Anyone can hike, I didn't need anyone to tell me how. I started, figured what I was doing wrong and fixed it. Hiking is walking with a backpack. And I agree with what he said about the professional hiking thing too. Just let it go.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Taba View Post
    It makes sense to have gear in some critical situations like cold weather, but hiking is putting one foot in front of the other repeatedly. It ain't rocket science, Babe.
    Posted by Frosty 5-21-2009

You are so very wrong about that. Not only do you walk 15-20 miles a day you have the daily chores of setting up your tent, cooking dinner, washing you pot, and filtering water, just to name a few. Then you have the town chores; doing laundry, shopping for groceries, looking for a place to take a shower, and making sure you have all the gear you need to make it to your next resupply point. Now add in all the extra work I do to write and publish a book while hiking; tracking the mileage, looking for and documenting every resource I pass by, making contacts for possible camping locations for other hikers, then when I can find a place to print copies of the Manual. I keep the stores stocked and have copies for some future thru-hikers, and update everything on the computer so the people who are following the Manual right now have more detailed information and will have less stress on their adventure.

So, again I say hiking is not just walking. If you believe that go hike in a mall!

Taba
    Yeah, and what exactly is so difficult about setting up a tent and washing your dishes???

(PS- Sorry to do three posts in a row, I kept reading other people's responses after posting, etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Oh, and AMEN to frosty's post (last day in May, I think). Anyone can hike, I didn't need anyone to tell me how. I started, figured what I was doing wrong and fixed it. Hiking is walking with a backpack.
    I always thought hiking was walking in trails, and backpacking was walking with a backpack?

So how about "Professional Pioneer". With 3 sponsors, like Leki (hiking poles), Teva (footwear) and Wandering Buddha (fleece clothing), I think that qualifies as a professional. I have corporations noticing that I am accomplishing something more than just walking around aimlessly in the woods. I am helping people with the knowledge I have acquired from over 20 years of long-distance light-weight nomadic traveling.

What is the definition of Pioneer? It is a person who travels into new territory already inhabited by someone else to chart a new path for others to follow who are interested in adventure or a change of scenery, atmosphere, or even a change of lifestyle. A pioneer relies on his product to sustain his lifestyle. I rely on the Manual I wrote to buy my groceries. I don't get paid for what I do but I get rewarded. In fact I ran out of money 3 days ago but I still keep going and have been figuring it out along the way.

The Manual is the start of my repaying the kindness and generosity of the people along my adventures who randomly showed an interest in what I was doing and wanted to help. All they wanted me to do was to give it back to the next person. I took all of the stress off of the MST so you can hike it with no concerns but the miles. I have also gotten a great response from the churches along the trail to allow hikers to use the property as a camping location. So I am fixing the camping issue one church at a time. This is the longest door-to-door job I have ever worked. If you don't think this is a job, come out and hike with me for a day and see for yourself how hard I work to make your experience easier on the MST.

Taba

Images

I like professional pioneer. But I really don't care what you call yourself, it's just annoying when all the threads go astray with people nitpicking about everything.

True, they are nitpicking. Why can't there be a professional hiker? There are professional swimmers, bicyclists, and kayakers. Heck there are even professional chess players. I believe that there is room in the professional class for someone who exerts himself everyday at the same thing and tries to be the best that he can be at it. I work just as hard as Michael Phelps or Lance Armstrong but I don't compete against anybody but myself. That is why I am not recognized as a professional athlete. I don't win gold medals or huge trophys but I am rewarded with the confidence that I can do anything I put my mind to. I think that anyone who can cover 30+ miles carrying a 35 lb. backpack on a consistent basis should be a professional athlete. That is a marathon, plus. people train for a very long tome to run one marathon. Some hikers do several marathons a week.

Taba

Images

If it makes you happy I am glad.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    If it makes you happy I am glad.
    I am extremely happy!!!! Thank you for being glad for me.

Taba

Here is what Websters online says

Main Entry:1pro·fes·sion·al Pronunciation:\prə-ˈfesh-nəl, -ˈfe-shə-nəl\ Function:adjective Date:16061 a: of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b: engaged in one of the learned professions c (1): characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2): exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace2 a: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b: having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c: engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>3: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>

I'm cool with you being a professional hiker
    still want directions to the trail though

Taba-good for you! and to the rest of you good-bye-you are a bunch of retards.i cannot beleive the childish posts and arguments on this site-it is absolutely ridiculous-proffessional whiners-farewell Whiteblaze-i will never be back!!

So how about "Professional Pioneer". With 3 sponsors, like Leki (hiking poles), Teva (footwear) and Wandering Buddha (fleece clothing), I think that qualifies as a professional.

many Olympic athletes are "sponsored" by various companies that want to make money off their endorsements. that doesn't make them professionals.

just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Linker View Post
    Taba-good for you! and to the rest of you good-bye-you are a bunch of retards.i cannot beleive the childish posts and arguments on this site-it is absolutely ridiculous-proffessional whiners-farewell Whiteblaze-i will never be back!!
    does anyone else see the irony of this post?

Geezer

It makes sense to have gear in some critical situations like cold weather, but hiking is putting one foot in front of the other repeatedly. It ain't rocket science, Babe.
    Posted by Frosty 5-21-2009

You are so very wrong about that. Not only do you walk 15-20 miles a day you have the daily chores of setting up your tent, cooking dinner, washing you pot, and filtering water, just to name a few. Then you have the town chores; doing laundry, shopping for groceries, looking for a place to take a shower
    OMG! Laundry? And buying food? Cleaning my pot? Filtering water? Looking for a place to shower? You set up your own tent??? Wow! You do all that? You must be one of those PROFESSIONAL hikers. Can I have your autograph?

Sorry, it ain't rocket science. I guess I'll stand by that statement.

It's fun, but it isn't anything special. It's just walking. Anyone can do it.
    Frosty

[quote=saimyoji;875883]does anyone else see the irony of this post? [/quote

Well, ya, but he does have a point. The definitions for professional has been posted a bunch of times on this thread. Taba clearly fits into some of them. You might argue that he doesn't fit the specific definition you have selectivly chosen to argue your point and hence feel like you have won an argument about something very silly, but thats kind of what makes the argument retarded, or at least childish.

[quote=TD55;875908]
    Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    does anyone else see the irony of this post? [/quote

Well, ya, but he does have a point. The definitions for professional has been posted a bunch of times on this thread. Taba clearly fits into some of them. You might argue that he doesn't fit the specific definition you have selectivly chosen to argue your point and hence feel like you have won an argument about something very silly, but thats kind of what makes the argument retarded, or at least childish.
    It appears that the use of the word "professional" has become enigmatic.

[quote=TD55;875908]
    Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    does anyone else see the irony of this post? [/quote

gimme a break. this isn't even CLOSE to the more childish arguments here on WB.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++