WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Good luck with your goal! Have fun..and take lots of photos (Or be like some of my friends and take a FRIEND who takes lots of photos... )
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Thank you Mags, I think it would be fun to watch the Mountains-to-Sea Trail grow. It is a similiar experience to the Appalachian Trail without thousands of hikers. I believe that if we get enough hikers who want to see the mountains from the AT and finish by swimming in the Atlantic Ocean, that the towns along the way will start to have festivals just like "Trail Days". This 100 hiker challenge will be to the benefit of everybody. The hikers get a wonderful journey and the story to tell and may even learn something. It will bring publicity to the Friends of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail. That would help them raise funds for the re-routes purchasing land or even getting it donated. The towns would benefit also. In current terminology, it would stimulate the economy. 100 hikers would go to every town for resupply, hotel, and recreation. Say that the average amount of money spent by each hiker is $100.00 in each town. Let's just say that there are around 20 full resupply towns. This would create a hiker season on the MST which would allow Backpacker Magazine, Teva, Leki, Granite Gear, etc. to have more options to increase the popularity of what we love to do. Isn't that what we are supposed to try and encourage? There are a lot of people out there with backpacks in the closet. Dust them off and go hike the MST. I would love to see 100 hikers next year thru-hike and finish.

Thank you,
    Scot "Taba" Ward

All I am asking is for 100 people who want to help create another avenue of adventure. One week or 100 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeever View Post
    Are you an official w/the MST? My understanding is that it is 500 miles of trail, and the rest is road walking which can in no way be compared to 42% of the AT. It's good to bring positive publicity to a trail, but misinformation can cause damage. That also goes for creditability.
    No I am not an official and I was talking about total mileage (distance of walking). I am just an advocate for goal achievers. If you would like we can make this a question the trail forum. You the ask the question to give someone the opportunity to answer. Let's expand our knowledge of new territory. Anything that helps to bring more hikers to North Carolina to hike the MST.

You are correct about the MST being half in the woods and half on the road. They are usually country roads with light traffic. A hike is a hike. Are you not open to something a little different? It's tough no matter how you look at it. The MST has different challenges and different weather conditions to prepare for. The sense of accomplishment when you finish it is the same, maybe better.

Taba

Quote:
    Originally Posted by McKeever
    Are you an official w/the MST? My understanding is that it is 500 miles of trail, and the rest is road walking which can in no way be compared to 42% of the AT. It's good to bring positive publicity to a trail, but misinformation can cause damage. That also goes for creditability.

As far as the credibility goes. What are you questioning? If it is the credibility of the information I have in the Manual then I encourage you to check out this link which is a Trailplace post from a hiker who has accepted the "100 Hiker Challenge."

http://trailplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1756

Or hike the trail yourself using "The Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Mountains-to-Sea Trail of North Carolina" and then get back to me on the credibility thing.

Taba

Images

It seems whenever I can get out to do a trip, (which is not as often as I would like, b/c of being a daddy, and running my landscaping business), I usually end up planning another AT section hike. Although, the MST is so tempting b/c of locale,,,, it passes close (Greensboro) to where I live. I'm w/in 20 minutes of the trail. That being said, if you're coming thru this area during a time that my schedule permits, I'd love to join you for at least a few days. For a number of years now, I've been trying to talk myself into section hiking the MST, mostly b/c of proximity. Your challenge may be the kick in the butt I need.

There is a 43 mile stretch from South Walnut Cove to Bryan Park that's half road and half around lakes Brandt and Townsend. It would be a 3 to 4 day trip and I will be there around the 2nd week in July and in the beginning of October on my way back, going the other direction. That is a great section and I know a great lakeside beach for swimming. There are several deer in the area. The road walk follows bicycle routes and it runs through small farms and a couple of small towns. Resupply and fast food will not be a problem around here. And I have some friends in the area, just in case we need them.

Taba

Taba in today's terms most everyone thinks paid when they hear the phrase: "professional anything" It's a common misconception and really when you think about it quite silly. These same people will criticize an individual for "unprofessional" behavior when that person does not perform to some expected norm or standard of behavior right? Yet they don't see that getting paid is irrelevant to the discussion.

i would say you probably are a professional hiker...i will give youthe benefit of the doubt on your skill level (which is what I would say is teh halmark of professional) and say that you are attempting to get paid for your hiking experience by means of a guide book so yep you are a professional hiker by definition.

I'll have to check out the book here in the near future. Good luck with it in the mean time.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Taba View Post
    There is a 43 mile stretch from South Walnut Cove to Bryan Park that's half road and half around lakes Brandt and Townsend. It would be a 3 to 4 day trip and I will be there around the 2nd week in July and in the beginning of October on my way back, going the other direction. That is a great section and I know a great lakeside beach for swimming. There are several deer in the area. The road walk follows bicycle routes and it runs through small farms and a couple of small towns. Resupply and fast food will not be a problem around here. And I have some friends in the area, just in case we need them.

Taba
    Sounds good. I may only be able to join ya for a 2 day trip. I'll PM ya & we"ll talk details!

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

we're all jus' "practicing"
    (i.e.) the certificates you see on the wall in your lawyers or doctors office.
    practicing medicine, or practicing law.
    i agree wif da wolf. it's jus' walkin'

My publisher has agreed to pay for my expenses while hiking. So I guess now I am being paid to hike and update my guidebook for the MST and to write several other trail guides in the near future.

I think that after 20 years of doing the same thing that I have finished practicing. Besides who would you rather trust your life to a practicing doctor or a professional doctor. I am beyond the inexperienced level of a practice hiker. But I am willing to help any practice hiker become a professional.

How much money to I have earn at hiking to be a professional?

Taba

Do you want receipts or check stubs?

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

you, like everyone else is practicing here on planet earth

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

ain't no such thing as a professional hiker. Gussie it up all you want but one thing you won't find here is that status symbol. You seem more like a shill to me. Dare I provoke it... I'm surprised you haven't posted the ISBN number and a link to where to directly buy your book.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    Taba in today's terms most everyone thinks paid when they hear the phrase: "professional anything" It's a common misconception and really when you think about it quite silly.
    Not a misconception at all, and certainly not silly to associate professional to a person engaging in a profession. The most common definition of profession is the manner in which one makes a living, so why wouldn't that come to mind?

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    These same people will criticize an individual for "unprofessional" behavior when that person does not perform to some expected norm or standard of behavior right? Yet they don't see that getting paid is irrelevant to the discussion.
    I've haven't heard much behavior called unprofessional except as relates to a job, and then usually not a lower-tier job. If you are not a professional, how can your behavior be criticized as unprofessional?

I can't think of one off-hand, but I suppose there could be examples of unprofessional hobbyist behavior. It is hard to imagine hiker behavior called unprofessional, though. There have been lots of criticism of various hiker behaviors on these pages, from not paying in honor system hostels to peeing in shelters, but I've never heard such hiker behavior called "unprofessional."
    Frosty

Jesus, someone hang me from the nearest tree.

You guys are unbelievable. Why can't there be somebody who earns his way through life by hiking. If that is someone's only job then why can't it be a professional career? There are several hikers that I would call professional. I spend every spring, summer and fall hiking and take the winter off. Just like a professional teacher I take some time off but I am always planning my next years adventure. I do not plan on doing anything else anytime soon. This is what I love and have been doing for over 20 years. I find it funny that the people who have the most to say about the word professional, haven't even finished one trail whether it be the 280 mile Long Trail or the Appalachian Trail. Like "Totem" When are you going to finish a trail? Come out with me for the 100 hiker challenge and then tell me if you think I am professional or not.

Taba

Remember the focus for this post is the "100 Hiker Challenge."

Quote Originally Posted by Low Impact View Post
    Jesus, someone hang me from the nearest tree.
    First we have to find a professional hangman.
    ???

Default To ALL "Professional" Hikers

Quote Originally Posted by Taba View Post
    "The Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Mountains-to-Sea Trail of North Carolina" has already been released. Check the post "Now Available" in this forum for details.

I think it's fun to poke at each other and maybe the professional word wasn't what you wanted to hear from me. But the fact of the matter is that there are wonderful adventures out there to explore and I found another worthy of sharing with other hikers. If you don't want to except the challenge you can't really say anything. The challenge is for every hiker to do at least 1 week on the trail with me or on your own. Let's help the Mountains-to-Sea Trail develope. I assure you that you will have fun.
    Taba
    While I like others take issue with the word "professional", I must say that the MST is a wonderful trail, at least the section I've seen (Clingmans Dome to Moses Cone area). What I do take issue wiith is the thought that simply because some one or some group lace up a pair of lightweight shoes and heft a pack on their back somehow "develops" a trail. If you want to see some wonderful mountain vistas and experience the best the southern Appalachians have to offer, by all means the MST is one of the best. If you want to help develop it, volunteer for one of the many trail projects that the Friends of the MST have ongoing. The AT would not have been built simply by hiking it, neither will the MST.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

BTW-
    Did I mention the fact that I am a "professional trailbuilder"? ( Yes I do get paid). I think it sounds way cooler than "professional hiker"
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++