WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

I see that the word professional is not very well liked and that some people may have taken the meaning of the word the wrong way. I say that I am a professional because of the quality of what I know how to do. Professional means that you make a living doing one thing extremely well. I have spent 20 years out of 34 doing the same thing and refining my skills. I earn my way through life by walking. It is like being a professional driver. Everybody drives a car but there are certain people out there that depend on a car to earn a living. I rely on my backpack. Everybody is too concerned whether or not someone makes money (dollars) as a professional. What if that driver gets stiffed at the end of the night? Is he still a professional driver because he didn't get paid? The quality of work is what I was talking about. I am not "tooting my horn" just proving experience. You asked me to explain myself. I did that and now you are upset because you think I am trying to upstage every other hiker. I am not going to call myself an amatuer hiker and the word "Extreme" came from Ted Richardson a photo journalist for the Raliegh News & Observer. I did not call myself that. Yes I do believe that there are other professional hikers out there. For example, I believe that "Lion King" could be considered a professional hiker. If you spend 40 hours a week at a job you are a professional. I don't do anything else but hike.

I apologize if your interpretation of what I said is negative. It was not intended to cause controversy. My intention was to draw a group of people to a new experience. And that was supposed to be the main focus of this thread.

The 100 hiker challenge. How about it is there anyone up for the challenge?

Taba

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    I want to be a professional hiker. Does it pay well?
    It's kind of like being an investment banker, without the perks.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    I want to be a professional hiker. Does it pay well?
    Only if you have a job at it, like being a guide or testing gear, or doing something that pays you for hiking. For sure, the first requirment is probably being able to not ?alk in circles and get lost.

Images

Here ya got a guy wanting to promote an fairly untraveled Trail and all ya want to do is pick apart his meaning of "Professional", gotta love WhiteBlaze.........................

Is someone paying you to hike (or for example, pay you to write about your hikes)? Do you have endorsement deals? Are you working for Backpacker Magazine and they're paying you to go hike and then write glowing reviews of advertisers' wares?

If so, congratulations, you're a "professional hiker." Otherwise, you're just tramping.

Nothing wrong with tramping, but it don't pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rentman View Post
    Here ya got a guy wanting to promote an fairly untraveled Trail and all ya want to do is pick apart his meaning of "Professional", gotta love WhiteBlaze.........................
    Sorta like the ral world. Whats the cyber world coming to?

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Sorta like the ral world. Whats the cyber world coming to?
    OK, somebody jump on my spelling of the word real.

Professional -
    "Less technically, it may also refer to a person having impressive competence in a particular activity.[6]" - Wikipedia

lol Yea this forum really amazes me sometimes. Their are so many vultures just waiting to jump on every post to just tear it apart with no regards to the topic or the intended message. I think it's just to increase post count or to increase the size of their E-P****

Anyways Taba good luck with your goal

Images

TABA thanks for bringing attention to this trail and good luck with your hike.

How is it that some of you can take an invatation to hike a trail and turn it into something negative. Who cares if he calls himself a profeshional hiker. This in no way takes away from your hiking accomplishments.
    Pootz 07

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I think many of us were just amused.

The posts have been like Gen MacArthur. Lots of the "I" pronoun with a rattling off of achievements.

My standard excuse: I'm a rude, sarcastic NE transplant..and love to be a court jester.

If people want hugs, kisses, rainbows and kittens, please go to the Shambala Center here in Boulder.

Perhaps we should all list our resumes with each post?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

What are the tools of the trade for a professional doctor or a professional lawyer. They have certain instruments they use to become better at what they chose to occupy their time with. If that professional attorney decides to no longer charge for his services and does his work pro-bono is he no longer a professional at what he does? What if that was his only intention for going to law school? So that he could use his talent to help others who might need someone who has made it his profession to learn about.

This was from cold Fire:

Professional - "Less technically, it may also refer to a person having impressive competence in a particular activity.[6]" - Wikipedia

dude, you're just a walker as we all are. you ain't no pro

alot of the people on this website have hiked more miles by accident than you have on purpose

Images

I'm just recreational hiker trash
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Garlic
    Images

One yardstick I use is this: An amateur does it until he gets it right. A professional does it until he can't get it wrong. Sure, money helps, but it's not the only measure. Lots of volunteer firefighters are true professionals at what they do.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    alot of the people on this website have hiked more miles by accident than you have on purpose
    How many miles have you walked on accident?

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    One yardstick I use is this: An amateur does it until he gets it right. A professional does it until he can't get it wrong. Sure, money helps, but it's not the only measure. Lots of volunteer firefighters are true professionals at what they do.
    professional- one skilled or specially trained. your right about the volunteer fire fighters. but professionals can get it wrong. or pro race car drivers wouldn't put their cars in the wall from time to time. lawyers wouldn't lose cases.,etc. s*** happens

GA-ME-04
    Images

geez, its a shame the guy gets micro-analyzed simply for trying to promote a trail.
    Its no wonder more and more are drifting away from this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Taba View Post
    How many miles have you walked on accident?
    zeroooooooooo miles by accident! just giving you s***.(i guess you missed the big grin,just messin' with you smiley face)i think its great you can do it full time,im jealous! let us know where to pick up this guide book when it comes out.

"The Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Mountains-to-Sea Trail of North Carolina" has already been released. Check the post "Now Available" in this forum for details.

I think it's fun to poke at each other and maybe the professional word wasn't what you wanted to hear from me. But the fact of the matter is that there are wonderful adventures out there to explore and I found another worthy of sharing with other hikers. If you don't want to except the challenge you can't really say anything. The challenge is for every hiker to do at least 1 week on the trail with me or on your own. Let's help the Mountains-to-Sea Trail develope. I assure you that you will have fun.
    Taba

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++