WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by BigHodag View Post
    If passing by NOBO, note the AT takes a sharp left at the shelter, follows the south wall, and descends sharply downhill to the road and parking area.

Good hammocking area just down the fire road between the privy and bear box.
    -
    Many hikers have mistaken the fireroad as the AT. I added a yellow sign on the fireroad that says "THIS IS NOT THE A.T." to remedy that situation.
    -
    "Alf"

ah, great information - thank you VERY much - I had planned on carrying water in...
    Can't wait!

I will try to drop some water tommorrow,maybe some ice?

Images

yea, I'd also like to thank Desperado for the trail magic he did for me back in 2001 during the heat wave. Way to go D.

Panzer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by snorz View Post
    I will try to drop some water tommorrow,maybe some ice?
    shhhhhh, don't say that too loud. There's some trail maintainer who has been swiping water jugs.

Panzer

Images

its a weird name for a shelter.

Panzer

I think Mashipacong means big or great pond. I vaguley recall hearing a rumor that their used to be a pond near the shleter but it was filled in. I think the word may be of Lanape Native Indian origin.

That's Lenape Native Indian origin.

hikers up there today will sure be happy for water!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    shhhhhh, don't say that too loud. There's some trail maintainer who has been swiping water jugs.

Panzer
    That's not entirely true. The shelter maintainers did remove the assortment of left over 1-gallon containers up there. They were taking up space in the bear box.
    -
    The shelter maintainers have left my blue 6/7-gallon containers alone. I have four of these, two are up there at a time. If I lug up a new one and find that the two there are full, then I'll leave all three there because I lugged the darn thing up there.
    -
    I have high respect for the shelter maintainers. They go up there often and they do a good job. The ridge-runners pass through there pretty often as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post

Panzer
    That's not entirely true. The shelter maintainers did remove the assortment of left over 1-gallon containers up there. They were taking up space in the bear box.
    -
    The shelter maintainers have left my blue 6/7-gallon containers alone. I have four of these, two are up there at a time. If I lug up a new one and find that the two there are full, then I'll leave all three there because I lugged the darn thing up there.
    -
    I have high respect for the shelter maintainers. They go up there often and they do a good job. The ridge-runners pass through there pretty often as well.
    -
    "Alf"

I dropped two gallons today,left for awhile ,came back to one jug that was unopened.Took the empty with me.Met about a dozen thrus between Mashipicong and High pt.

we stayed at the shelter this past Sunday night - there is a stream within a half mile of the shelter that was noted by a nobo in the
    shelter log book...really pleasant stay - not too buggy, only one other hiker who was passing a zero day (Whisper)
    He had refilled and purified a few of the empty gallon containers he found there the previous day...

Stayed here last night. Didn't need to use the water but thanks to ALF for lugging up.

Images

My wife and I took a lunch break at the shelter on 2/23/12.
    The shelter and all of it's amenities were in good condition.
    We appreciated the picnic table.
    The bear box looked to be almost new.
    Thanks to the maintainers for keeping the place in good condition!

I met Al, the trail/shelter maintainer in the afternoon last Sunday, about one mile north of Mashipacong Shelter. He was busy working on the felled trees on the trail. He had worked in the last two days in the woods clearing up the trail. He also had 5 gallon water cache in the bear box, that I believe he kept filling up in the past summer. From just a hundred yards north of the shelter till the road crossing, there're very nice sections of stone steps recently built by him and other crew. The trail section Al is responsible for from Sunrise Mt. to Mashipacong Shelter was almost cleared of the felledtrees except for a few big ones with diameters up to 2 Feet. A very dedicated trail maintainer, and a genuine thoughtful person. Thank you, Al, for your care!

DSC04780.jpg

DSC04822.jpg

DSC04872.jpg

DSC04873.jpg

DSC04874.jpg

Talking about the water source near the shelter, at the red dot trail junction about 20 minute walking north of the shelter, turn left if Nbouding, go down for 3 minutes to the gully, there's a good stream that would be running most of the year.
    Last edited by Highway Man; 11-13-2012 at 13:00.

What do you expect a mansion.

Stayed here over the weekend. Things were in good condition and there was plenty of water in the bear box. Thank you to whoever maintains the shelter and it's grounds.. the place is wonderful!

Hi Alf,
    I camped at the Mashipacong Shelter last week and really appreciated the water left in the bear box! Also, the privy was well maintained. Thank you so much!!!!

Images

023 Mashipacong Shelter Nite 1.JPG

Mashipacong Shelter on a sunny morning in October 2010.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++