WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

So Brinks proved to be a great source.. Water is a few hundred yards behind the right side of the shelter. Flowing well and ice cold.

The new shelter is really nice. Didn't stay long; I tanked up, had a snack and moved on.

Google reporting that Brink Road Shelter is Permanently Closed. Can anyone Confirm this?
    Brink.JPG
    Trail Name: Gadget
    Completed:
    NJ - 2016
    NY- 2017
    CT - 2018
    PA, DWG to Pt Clinton - 2019
    NJ (Again) - 2020

Planned:
    PA, Pt Clinton to Duncannon - 2021
    PA, Duncannon to Pen-Mar - 2022

I would be surprised since it is new, but remember that AT parking lots, privies and shelters in NJ were closed due to Covid. According to ATC website, the privies and shelters are still closed.
    Worth a call to the park which sponsors the overnight lot you are considering (ie like Culvers Gap). It may not show on NJ Park websites (it didn't a couple of months ago) but the typical overnight parking lots had No Parking 8pm-5am signs.. I am told overnight parkers were towed. This was when NJ had the 8pm curfew. Either way worth a call b/c the websites were not updated and I would not want you to make the trip to find out you cannot park.

Thanks! I am planning a section from DWG to NY/NJ State line and Brink Road was in the plan. I won't be leaving any cars and we all hammock, so the only issue would be the Privy. I live right Near Waywayanda so I can check the Shelter there and maybe eve stop in at the office.

Thanks for the Ideas!
    Completed:
    NJ - 2016
    NY- 2017
    CT - 2018
    NJ (Again) - 2020

Planned:

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danil411 View Post
    I would be surprised since it is new, but remember that AT parking lots, privies and shelters in NJ were closed due to Covid. According to ATC website, the privies and shelters are still closed.
    Worth a call to the park which sponsors the overnight lot you are considering (ie like Culvers Gap). It may not show on NJ Park websites (it didn't a couple of months ago) but the typical overnight parking lots had No Parking 8pm-5am signs.. I am told overnight parkers were towed. This was when NJ had the 8pm curfew. Either way worth a call b/c the websites were not updated and I would not want you to make the trip to find out you cannot park.
    I thru-hiked NJ few weeks ago and all shelters were open. Aka available for use.
    Perhaps not officially, per covid guidelines, but nobody was stopping hikers from getting in there and getting some sleep.
    Same for privies - available for use and were stocked with sanitizers, etc

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

That is Great News! Thank you for the info!This is exactly what I was Hoping for, and actually what I was expecting!

Quote Originally Posted by verysimple View Post
    I thru-hiked NJ few weeks ago and all shelters were open. Aka available for use.
    Perhaps not officially, per covid guidelines, but nobody was stopping hikers from getting in there and getting some sleep.
    Same for privies - available for use and were stocked with sanitizers, etc

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Completed:
    NJ - 2016
    NY- 2017
    CT - 2018
    NJ (Again) - 2020

Planned:

Was at 1 shelter last week and the water cache was in the bear box like any other year. Shelter log said all the NJ shelters that normally have water caches do this year.

Have fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++