WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I stayed at this shelter on an overnighter from pen mar to rt40 on the night of 11/10/12. The shelter was nice a little nose from cars on wolfsville rd but not too bad, shared the shelter with to outhers from Md and a group of ladys from PA. Had a great night with great company!

Stayed the night of 4/23/2017. Shared with flip floppper Sceptiq such a nice guy, and two other flippers who's names I forget. One had a dog named Leif. Great shelter, privy was nearly full tilt. Good water. Road noise was present but not impossible

I stayed the night of 4/26/27. Got water at the creek just past the road; thought I'd check out the boxed spring but the path to it was all deep muck. Next morning as I was hiking up the hill just past the shelter, I heard the sound of water to the west of the trail. As Lone Wolf says, you need to keep your ears open and you can find water. This source was barely .1 past the shelter and was running very well. Probably the result of 48 hrs of rain.
    Trillium

Anyone stay here within the last (2) two years? I curious to know water source in the summer months and I don't want to assume, but ability for tent camping there if someone knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
    Anyone stay here within the last (2) two years? I curious to know water source in the summer months and I don't want to assume, but ability for tent camping there if someone knows.
    I stayed there on September 16, 2017. As I recall, there is a small spring for water that is not reliable, but I was able to get enough for the night. As for tenting, I stayed in the shelter, but my journal reminded me of a family also in the shelter. Both the husband and wife snored like freight trains, so at 4 AM I got up looking for a spot to put up a tarp, but I didn't find a suitable spot. The AT Guide does show an area for tents. If you choose to pass the shelter, there is water further up the trail (NOBO) and a shelter 5 miles from the Ensign Cowall. Problem is that next shelter is .6 mile off the AT and it's another .3 mile down a steep trail to get water.

I'd roll the dice with the Ensign Cowall shelter if I were you and maybe get water for the night at the Pogo campsite (again, assuming you are NOBO).
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
    There is an nice large tenting area uphill from the shelter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Idsailor & MisterQ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

Stayed at this shelter last fall. Very glad to be there as a heavy rainstorm started about 10 minutes after I arrived and lasted for several hours.

There is a reliable piped spring about 100 yards downhill from the privy on the dirt access road, on your left. Plenty of tent camping spaces uphill from the shelter.
    It's all good in the woods.

Images

Lots of misinformation in Idsailors post. The piped spring at EC didn’t dry up in the 2018 season. There is brook between the road and the shelter that could be more reliable. There’s also a pooling spring nearby. Hauling from pogo would be a mistake.

As for the next shelter north, raven rock is .1 west of the trail, water source is .3 east and down 200 feet. Old information regarding the dismantled devils racecourse shelter still circulates.
    Last edited by Linesman; 05-29-2019 at 23:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Linesman View Post
    Lots of misinformation in Idsailors post. The piped spring at EC didn’t dry up in the 2018 season. There is brook between the road and the shelter that could be more reliable. There’s also a pooling spring nearby. Hauling from pogo would be a mistake.

As for the next shelter north, raven rock is .1 west of the trail, water source is .3 east and down 200 feet. Old information regarding the dismantled devils racecourse shelter still circulates.
    You're correct about the off trail distance to Raven Rock Shelter. I misread the AT Guide and picked up the distance to Richie Road (.6 mile) in error.

As for the water situation, if you take another look at my post, I was there in 2017 not 2018. In some parts of Maryland they experienced record rainfall for 2018. The area of the shelter had a lot of rain that year in August and September. In 2017 there was little rain in August and September in the area where the shelter is located. The AT Guide also notes there is an unreliable water source at the shelter. If this information is incorrect, perhaps an email to the AT Guide might be in order. I was there in September and there was water at the spring, but as I recall, not a well flowing source.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."

Images

If it's that dry then pogo will be nasty too. I'd rather hike to the dollar general 1 mile down wolfsville road.
    Big Hike: the first iOS app for the AT and BMT

Quote Originally Posted by Linesman View Post
    If it's that dry then pogo will be nasty too. I'd rather hike to the dollar general 1 mile down wolfsville road.
    Here is an image taken from Guthook where two separate hikers who passed the Ensign Cowall Shelter within the last couple of weeks commented on the water situation. Both agree that hikers should get water before reaching the shelter and the current situation with water at the shelter is a "trickle" as one hiker noted.

Screenshot_2019-05-31-10-32-14[1].png
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."

Images

They mean the stream between the road and the shelter, very close, not Pogo.
    Big Hike: the first iOS app for the AT and BMT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++