WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I plan to hike the Pen Mar to Harper's Ferry section in late September 07.. I had thought about staying at this shelter and appreciate knowing more about it from this forum. Does anyone know about the water sitiuation right now at this shelter and how they think it will be in September. I have not seen much in the forums about a lack of water during this big dry spell this summer.
    I can Bearly Stay off the Trail

There is a good spring there...but it is a long way down hill and a long way back up. You will be left a short day if you stop their on your way to Harper's Ferry. Have a great trip

the spring is not a long way down hill, it's 50 yds from the shelter, right past the tent sites...i was there on 7/30/07 and the spring is "boxed in" and low and slow but was still serviceable. hope it's still flowing in sept., you'll need it heading south the next morning- enjoy the rocks.
    DamnMuscher

Spring and Other Drinking Water Conditions in Md. and Pa.

http://www.patc.net/chapters/north/water.htm
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

This link did not work?
    Spring and Other Drinking Water Conditions in Md. and Pa.
    http://www.patc.net/chapters/north/water.htm

I am planning an over night trip on the AT over new years or the week after. I have some friends that have never done any winter camping so I am planning a stay at Pine Knob. (close to the car if anyone gives in) The next night I am looking for a hike up Ensign. Its a very long way for my friends that have never packed in there life. Well there be water there that will help lighten the load a little.

It's very close to the road. Might worry about that a bit. But fear not, there's a beautiful hostel 0.3 miles down the hill.

Images

Default Cowall

Hiked by there a few weeks ago- why is the shelter named after him? I googled for info and found an Ensign Robert Cowell- is that him? But no mention of the App Trail. Just curious, tks.
    think I'll go for a walk outside now...

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tazie View Post
    Hiked by there a few weeks ago- why is the shelter named after him?
    I'm sure this isn't him but it's as good a reason as I can think of to name a shelter after someone

" Roberta Cowell, born as Robert Cowell on May 21, 1921, became the first known British male-to-female transsexual to undergo vaginoplasty on May 15, 1951......."

Also "Ted Bundy" the serial killer was actually born Theodore Robert Cowell..His last name was later changed when his mother married
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Programbo View Post
    I'm sure this isn't him but it's as good a reason as I can think of to name a shelter after someone

" Roberta Cowell, born as Robert Cowell on May 21, 1921, became the first known British male-to-female transsexual to undergo vaginoplasty on May 15, 1951......."

Also "Ted Bundy" the serial killer was actually born Theodore Robert Cowell..His last name was later changed when his mother married
    I'm sure these tidbits this will make for cheery and interesting conversation for some future dwellers at that shelter. Personally, I'd recommend walking out to the road and down the hill 0.3 miles to stay with Ken and Janelle Berry (FreeState Hiker Hostel.)

Images

I stayed at this shelter during my past trek through Maryland. I have only slept in a few, but this is the nicest one so far. It has a really nice loft, a good privy, and a nice spring just down the trail from the shelter. It was in nice shape. Humorous warning though; I was awoken at 5:30 by a female turkey on the prowl calling through the site, beautiful but obnoxious.
    Aesculus

Images

Does anyone know who Ens. Phillip Cowall was? what happened to him? it does say memorial shelter...

Images

"David and Cindy Cowall of Salisbury, Md., had donated funds to PATC in 1998
    in memory of their son, who had loved the Appalachian Trail."

The Register - Spring 2000
    (AT Newsletter)

irreverent
    Images

Default Just tented at Ensign Cowell-observations

I just tented at this shelter wed. nite. I used on of 2 formal tent pads set off maybe 50 yards from the shelter- other tents sites surround. there are fire rings and spots closer, but they aren't real level.The shelter is clean and is in good repair. It's very close to the trail and easily seen. The water source (boxed spring) is good, but a stretch away southbound, then down a currently mud-bog path maybe 30 yards off trail. Outhouse is close to the shelter. A few thru-hikers came in to eat while I was there, they then left. Me and one section hiker (Coach) overnited and, with bearbags hung, had no wildlife issues. Something to consider: this shelter sits up at the same elevation as the nearby road (small valley in between)and the noise of trucks pulling up the mountain or jake-braking it down is pretty loud throughout the night

Images

Default update on water at shelter

we had lunch at this shelter a couple of days ago. the box spring on the way to the shelter (if you are nobo) was very stagnant and yucky. however, the stream running below the shelter, down the hill, was running better and we were able to get good water there by pumping.
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

Default Water supply

Stayed at Ensign Cowell Shelter on 10/24 and spring is dry. Other hikers ordered pizza and had bottled water delivered.

Tumbleweed

Images

i was there on thanksgiving, 2010. spring was decent if you pacjk a filter to suck it up with. nothing a few spring rains cant fix. i recommend passing this one though only because for nobos, the next roads right past the shelter, 1/4 mile at most, and if you hike east down that road the free state hiker hostels on your left. best hoistel ive stayed at, that one and bears den. both offer free long distance phone calls and internet/computer use. bone pac at free state and his wife were most accomodating, and its worth a stop just to read about bone pacs thru hike he did to raise money for the hospital/clinic he works at. extra thanks for opening their doors to me even though the thru hike companion said they were closed for the season. (they say they never turn anyone away)
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Quote Originally Posted by IronGutsTommy View Post
    i was there on thanksgiving, 2010. spring was decent if you pacjk a filter to suck it up with. nothing a few spring rains cant fix.
    i was there in early December - the spring was looking sad - i pulled water from the rocks instead of the pit. in the summer, this spring is next to worthless. was there in August 2010 and a trail angel left sealed jugs at the road crossing for NOBO's to use. i plan on dropping a few jugs at the shelter this summer if the spring proves unreliable.

Images

Last update on this shelter is date Feb 2011. Anyone been there within the last 6 months? Water? Shelter condition? Just wondering in case we decide to overnight there on a 2 day trip in mid-May.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I was there Saturday. Shelter fine. Water good. Plenty of assorted tent pads. Come later in May and maybe I'll see you somewhere on the trail!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Stayed at the shelter the afternoon of 5/8 waiting out a storm. Shelter was in good shape and stayed dry during a good storm. No flat level sites around the shelter to pitch tents but as other posts indicate there are tent site pads in close vicinity. Three sites are north of the shelter via a blue blazed trail and two sites south of the shelter. At the shelter itself was a trash laden firepit and a Shenandoah bear pole. Water from the boxed spring was plentiful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++