WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Stayed there Friday night. I hung my hammock in there and slept great with the rain bouncing off the new roof. Water was available at all 3 springs Friday night.

The wife and I stayed there 5/27/17, the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. We stayed in the tent site on the other side of the power line cut from the shelter. Being a holiday weekend, it was pretty full. Lots of section hikers and flip floppers coming north from Harpers Ferry. The first spring was still running very well. The shelter and surrounding area looked neat and clean. The privy was in good shape.

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

One of the AMC-DV shelter maintainers cemented the fireplace rocks. Hopefully this will stop the 'rearrangement' that so many times happens.
    Springs 2 & 3 are running great.

Nice to see a lot of hikers especially the flip-floppers using the shelter and tent site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Hi there,

I'm considering a short weekend trip from Blue Mountain by the ski lodge NOBO to PA 33 and I want to spend Saturday night at the Leroy A. Smith shelter. My question is about Friday night, are there good trail side campsites past Weathering Knob to accommodate a group of 4 to 6 hikers? We're only looking to do 2 - 3 miles max because we'll be hiking in the evening after getting out of work.

Thanks, any insight would be appreciated.

Guthook shows a campsite 1.5 miles north of Blue Mountain road, which has parking for a few cars along the side of the road.

The comments for the site is "room for a few tents". Other comments are it's very rocky with lots of roots and has a tree right in the middle of it. The site is a 15-20 minute walk from the Slopeside pub but finding the path is not easy. Fitting 4-6 people there could be a problem, especially if everyone wants to be in their own tent.

There are no other campsites listed until Leroy Smith. If a site is not listed, your unlikely to find a spot. This area is littered with rocks poking out of the ground. Also note there is no water. There are a couple of springs between the campsite and the shelter, but they are a 500 foot decent and 0.2 to 0.3 miles off the trail.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I was afraid that was the case. Thank you for your information. PA is just too rocky...

Quote Originally Posted by Slugfoot View Post
    I was afraid that was the case. Thank you for your information. PA is just too rocky...
    Thats why I hammock.

I was up there a few weeks ago. There are definitely stealth sites between Blue Mountain Drive and Leroy Smith shelters that are not on Guthooks. There was a very large one that had stone seats and a huge fire pit, almost fireplace, but the grass was over grown. It would work in a pinch.

There are two spots to tent at the AT junction with the Blue trail leading to the shelter. Going north they are on your left. Nice smooth spots.

I must share my night at this shelter back in May 2017. It was our, myself and 2 lashers, last night in PA and we couldn't wait to escape the rocks. We were actually in our sleeping bags before dark when a sketchy young local rolled in with a small blanket and a 12-pack of beer. He didn't seem dangerous, but he certainly wasn't a hiker. He stayed on his phone for about 30 minutes and it was dark by then. He left the shelter, walked past the fire pit to get water when he exclaimed, "did you hear that?". We had not heard anything, but he said he heard a rattle. Sure enough, he pokes into the fire pit and a very large timber rattler comes scooting out toward the shelter. I yelled at the guy to direct it away from the shelter opening. He was successful and it went into the tall grass right beside the shelter. Great!!. I was not able to sleep very well and about 3 hours later I hear some gnawing on the shelter, we had a porcupine that was eating the shelter steps to get salt. We ran it off, but it came back a couple more times.

I had to get up about 3:30 and answer the call of nature, needless to say, I did not stray far from the shelter. At first light, we packed up and got the heck out of there. Honestly, worst night on the AT for me. Humorous now to think about it, but not a good experience at the time. It was great to get into DWG the next day, however. I'm sure that snake is gone now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++