WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default weather south of the NH in August

Hi, I'm planning to section hike this summer, and since I'm leaving straight after exams, I have to get as much done in preparation as early as possible.

I want to start just south of the white mountains, and plan to hike south for 6 weeks. can anybody tell me if I really need the heavy winter gear for that time of year in that area?

Images

No, you won't need any heavy winter gear. You might want a lightweight fleece or down sweater/jacket for at night, though, as nights in the mtns. of VT and NH can sometimes get chilly, even in summer. And it might start getting a little chilly at night toward the end of your trip. August and Sept. are the best times to hike in that area, weather-wise.

Images

Oh, and welcome to Whiteblaze!

that's great news! thanks!

could you (or anyone else) also tell me, in terms of temp., what sleeping bag would be sufficient?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

For VT in August and September, I carry a 40* bag (EMS Thaw 40 - the rating is conservative), a fleece pullover, and a down vest. The vest is just used as a pillow 90% of the time, but it's handy at breakfast time, and I always take it. I'm a pretty warm person, so YMMV. As long as you're staying South of the Whites, should be plenty for most folks.

Images

In August a true 40 deg bag should be fine. Towards mid to late September it likely wouldn't be enough, especially in VT (I'd want a 20 in VT after Labor Day). September sees a lot of temperature changes in New England, and it also depends how far south you are. Once out of northern MA the temps won't be as severe as in the hills of northern MA and VT.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

thank you very much! you're all very helpful.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

You will experience almost no really cold weather, cold that time of year is 50 degrees.

According to weatherunderground.com, ave lows in Hanover from Aug -> Oct go from 58 -> 45, record lows go from 45 -> 30. Ave highs go from about 80 on Aug 1 to about 63 on Oct 1, records from 95 -> 85. That's in Hanover which is at a fairly low elevation and , if you are hiking south from the Whites, will be fairly far north in your trip. Of course, ridges can be substantially cooler. A rule of thumb is 3-5 degrees cooler for every 1,000 feet in elevation gain. When I go to Killington to snowboard it is generally about 6-7 degrees cooler at the base and "freaking cold" at the summit (compared to Hanover). Sooo, what do it all mean? Well, could be hot, could be cool. Helpful? Definitely don't need winter gear, but nights could be chilly. Its all about layers. Sleeping bag choice will depend on if you are a warm or cold sleeper.

- MM.
    aka Endorphin, AT GA->ME '04

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I agree nights could get chilly. I'd opt for a 30 degree bag myself, esp as you are heading into Sept.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

This'll be a decision for me as well: I'm probably doing Franconia Notch South to Hanover at the end of July, and am hoping to get by with a 35 degree bag. I don't anticipate it getting any colder than that, plus I'm not doing the highest part of the Whites-- just a small piece, including Kinsman & Moosilauke.

Will a 35 degree bag in midsummer be sufficient? I hate to have to lug my 20 degree bag around (which is an extra 3 lbs.). I of course plan to carry long underwear, fleece vest, rain jacket, hat, etc. That'll be fine, right?
    --There is always more uphill.

35 degree bag should be just fine for that section. If you stay at Beaver Brook or top of Smarts Mtn, it might, get that cold, maybe. If a front blows through.
    With long underwear and a fleece you should be fine.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Or you can throw in a liner too.
    Really depends on your bag. Some ratings are not good on some bags.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

Thanks for the advice!... I've never tested this bag down to 35 degrees, but it's a Kelty Stratus and I've never felt cold in it in the high 40s, so I'm hoping its rating is true. I'll definitely be bringing layers. And hopefully the weather will dry out up there soon!
    --There is always more uphill.

++ New Posts ++