WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Good, Cheap, Lightweight tent

I'm looking for a decent tent that is lightweight, that won't break the bank. Any Ideas?

If you have other ideas of how to stay dry at night that are light and inexpensive, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks.

Well.......I think you will get a lot of opinions on your question, but I really like the Kelty Grand Mesa 2 and the price is outstanding at Campmor at $109.00. Its a two person tent (tight for two grown men), double wall and a fairly roomy vestibule.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Sierra Design Velox 1 is lightweight , pretty reasonable also.
    Check out www.spadeout/p/sierra-designs-velox-tent/
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

While some will bag the manufacturer- I use the Coleman Kraz1. It weighs about 3.5 lbs and can be had for under $50 bucks using the "family" discount on their webstore.

i think over on BPL theres a guy who raves about hiking with his walmart kids tent seam sealed

Garlic
    Images

Since you're on the UL forum and asked for options, you can't beat a simple tarp and some bug netting. Also, is $200 out of your budget? Tarptent Contrail now lists for $199 and is an excellent thru hiker shelter.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Eureka Spitfire.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Since you're on the UL forum and asked for options, you can't beat a simple tarp and some bug netting. Also, is $200 out of your budget? Tarptent Contrail now lists for $199 and is an excellent thru hiker shelter.
    I'm not really sure how much I'm willing to spend, but $200 would probably be the very most I'd like to spend. I should know more once it gets closer to go time.

Here's the deal. I'd like to start NOBO out of Damascus around June 1st. With cabin fever getting the best of me, I've been playing around with my gear. I noticed that by changing out my 20* bag with my 40* bag and dumping the cold weather gear, I have a ton of extra space in my pack(3950 cubic inches).

I also have a 2100 cu inch pack but my tent takes up way too much space. It also weighs almost six lbs. If I can find a smaller lighter shelter it should be feasible to hike with the smaller pack, not to mention this system has shaved about 10 lbs even without a different tent. So I'd like to switch to the smaller pack without spending a crapload of money on a new tent.

I'm not sure how far I plan on hiking. I want to at least get to Harpers Ferry, but still keep the option open to finish the trail if I'm feeling good. Obviously I would be swithching my gear out again before the Whites if I'm still on the trail. I just thought it would be fun to shed some weight and cover some ground during the warmer months.

I'm typically not a UL guy so if you see any problems with this or have suggestions let me know.

gatewood cape and some bug netting.

juma

Garlic
    Images

I agree with the tarp and netting in the small pack, but then you're definitely into UL territory and you'll be wanting to hike some long days to make it work. You'll also need poles or sticks. If you can make 25 mile days with a 10# load, you won't need to carry much food, which will help make the small pack work. Sometimes the food bag is the largest thing in there.

The Tarptent is a long-term investment, like a good sleeping bag, definitely well worth it if you think you might try another long trail after the AT. I've got two thru hikes on mine and it still looks brand new.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

i plan on using an existing rainfly and buying the rei bug hut 2 to try for my shelter system this spring/summer. i'll be very close to 3 lbs, already own the fly, and the bug hut 2 is $70
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

Some good points Garlic. It seems that in the long run the tarptent would pay for itself. I already have poles and I don't think the miles would be a problem, I was doing 20+ days at least a few times a week last spring with a 35-40 lb pack. I'm assuming the tarptent would be fine in cooler temps up north?

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by OSUBCS#1 View Post
    I'm assuming the tarptent would be fine in cooler temps up north?
    By the time you get north, you'll know what the tarptent can do and you'll have enough experience to deal with it. Mine's been fine in snow and 0*F temps. If you go with light gear, you may beat the winter anyway.

Images

Awesome, thanks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OSUBCS#1 View Post
    I'm looking for a decent tent that is lightweight, that won't break the bank. Any Ideas?

If you have other ideas of how to stay dry at night that are light and inexpensive, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks.
    Ozark Trail Children's Tent. 2.5 lbs. You likely won't be able to sit up, even at the apex, but it is lightweight and at less than $20 will not break the bank. And is water proof, free standing, bathtub bottom, and if you sleep diagonally you will have ~ 8 feet of space.

And I used to use mine extensively. It is the blue rectangular thing sticking out across my pack in this picture:

I only stopped using it because I "lightened up" to the 1 lb Gossamer Gear One. I still lend it to others to use.

++ New Posts ++