WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shelter rules

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    I'd be careful about sweeping. It kicks up a lot of dust, mice dropping dust. I wouldn't be sweeping if I was going to be in the shelter right afterwards
    Although there's been no known case of hantavirus specifically attributed to an AT shelter, that I'm aware of, it's suggested to wait an hour before entering after sweeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    The real reason that people kill shelter mice is because some people just have a cruel streak that is somehow satisfied by killing small animals.

Panzer
    bring 'em on! i like an unfair fight... but sometimes i win in spite of that.

--------

rules: there ain't no rules. behave your best and the other guy won't even come close...

nice guy: you guys don't mind if i share the shelter

us: no, come right in

nice guy: grabs broom, sweeps up a s**t storm, before he lays out his stuff, covering us in dust and dirt

us: (coughing) thanks, that's much better. uh, you missed a spot over there. (cough some more)

nice guy: huh? oh, no problem

morning...

nice guy: you guys kept me up all night with that snoring

us: no problem. you didn't do too bad yourself

nice guy: huh? i don't snore

us: must have been the mice sleeping in that hole by your head then

nice guy: huh?

Images

don't kill anything, but get a system to protect your stuff. Bear's are giant mice.Bear's are also great mice. If you don't want to deal with them, then don't.Hide/stash your stuff Where they can screw with you wh-what, you never had parent's? Sibling's? be creative.... put it in D-Wreck's pack.

Don't go to bed at 4:30pm and expect everyone else to remain silent so you can get your beauty sleep.

Images

#1 OTHER PEOPLE ARE COMING-ASSUME THAT
    #2 Don't make it they're problem
    # NUFF SAID

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

One winter at a shelter in the Smokies some drunk college kids came in 'way after dark, made a huge amount of racket, stunk up the shelter frying something in straight sesame oil, and then I caught one of them peeing out through the front gate (right where you have to walk in it) because he didn't want to go outside. Needless to say, I got up and took a few moments to rant and educate them to some common sense shelter "rules". This isn't rocket science.....

Quote Originally Posted by dhock83 View Post
    I am new to thru hiking and just wandering what are the un-written rules of a shelter??
    Shun them

Images

As in other areas of life, it's best to be direct, but polite, when dealing with clueless people in shelters.

For instance, you want to cook on the picnic table (it's raining), and a couple of people have got their stuff spread all over the place. Don't just fume silently. Don't ask a question whose answer you won't accept. ("May I have a spot?") Be direct, but polite: "I need a little corner of the table to cook on. I'm going to move this backpack." If the pack-owner has a brain, they will come take it away. If they don't, go ahead and move the pack into the shelter, or wherever.

A practice that will make your own life in a shelter easier it to keep all your own stuff together. You're asking to lose something if you spread your gear and clothing all over the place, and it gets mixed up with other people's stuff. I usually start by spreading out my ground cloth or tent footprint where I'm going to sleep. My gear and clothing stay on that groundcloth or in my pack. Take something out of the pack; use it; put it back in the pack. If I have hung up the pack on mouse hangers or bear cables, I keep a stuff sack or two near my sleeping bag. Take something out of the stuff sack; use it; put it back in the stuff sack. If the shelter is crowded, I fold under the edges of the ground cloth until it is just barely larger than my sleeping bag. The stuff sacks go under my head. Be especially attentive to small, easily-lost items like headlamps and spoons, and to common gear and clothing that other people might mistakenly swap on you, like a Pocket Rocket.

Shelters can be lively places, with all the good and bad baggage that carries. Every hiker has their own set of pet peeves. I've sat there in the shelter in the Smokies and listened to a hiker lecture another hiker about not burning plastic in a fire; then the lecturer proceeded to sautee chicken in oil in the shelter, and when a piece of chicken flipped out on the ground, he just tossed it out beyond the shelter fence. (Way to attract animals, man!)

Shelters can be wonderful in heavy rain and in windy weather. They're a good place to meet other hikers. But you have to be fairly accepting of other people's foibles to enjoy them.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

marta shares a good, practical approach to shelters, if you feel the need

nearly normal, tagged it with 'shun them'

SHELTERS SUCK

Images

Another example of being direct:

The wrong approach is the say, with a exasperation/desperation, "Could you call your dog?" Chances are good the clueless owner will call the dog, and the dog will completely ignore him. But the owner has done what you asked, so he feels as if he can stop paying attention to the dog.

The right approach: "Please tie up your dog NOW. He is about to knock over my stove and set the place on fire."

People have told me it helps to use the Mommy voice.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I hate it when folks put their boots/ass/pack on the table.
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Images

The real reason that people kill shelter mice is because some people just have a cruel streak that is somehow satisfied by killing small animals.

Panzer
    Or because it makes me giggle.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Although there's been no known case of hantavirus specifically attributed to an AT shelter, that I'm aware of, it's suggested to wait an hour before entering after sweeping.
    I could have sworn there was 1 about 15 years ago.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

Just ear tag the idiots so the folks at the next shelter will know who they are dealing with

Images

Panzer
    I kill mice because they are disease carrying vermin, and there are too many of them.
    And they taste just like chicken
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I kill mice because they are disease carrying vermin, and there are too many of them.
    Not like they are about to go extinct anytime soon either.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

not endangered or even threatend
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

I know how to threaten them. But they don't seem to care
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

One case has been identified in Virginia. In 1993, a hiker on the Appalachian trail developed HPS. He was hospitalized and recovered. His exact location of exposure could never be established

Found this on Google.

Shelter rules are simple!

1. Don't be an A$$hole
    2. See rule #1

If anything be more considerate than you would in the real world since it is tougher to walk away from an inconsiderate person if you are staying in a LT especially if it raining.

Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by mrc237 View Post
    I hate it when folks put their boots/ass/pack on the table.
    Uh, what about their DOGS?! And of course, those are the dog owners who later claim "no one ever had a problem with my dog."

I was sitting at the table eating lunch at Little Laurel Shelter in NC, the one before Jerry Cabin Shelter, I think.

Couple of hikers come up with unleashed dog that jumped right up from the muddy ground onto the table (as I sat there with my food) and walked all around, exploring, as dogs do. As always, the dog was not the problem. It was the dog owner who was the problem.

I didn't say a word, just packed up and hit the trail, as I suspect 99% of us do. Too many dog owners are CLUELESS and,-- since this thread is about rules,-- don't give a @#%! about leash laws either.

Anyway, be particularly careful with a dog at a shelter, especially a wet muddy dog. Use some common sense. I think Turtlehiker stated it well, in his/her post immediately preceding mine here.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++