WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default CDT Maps: Ley Compass Rose, GPS & Topo Waypoints

Anyone familiar with the Jonathan Ley CDT maps knows most have a compass rose in order to help find yourself on the map using a GPS. I've taken all the points for the 2009 maps and made a .gpx file using EasyGPS which allows you to upload them to your GPS.

For more on the Ley maps and use of the compass rose...

http://www.phlumf.com/travels/cdt/cdtgps.shtml

To download EasyGPS (free) You'll need the program to open the file and send to your GPS. Check the page to make sure your GPS is compatible. (works with Garmin)

http://www.easygps.com/

Maps with the compass rose

MT 1-72; 2a, 10a, 13a, 42a

WY 1-44; 7a, 12a, 28a-d

CO 1-46

NM 9-43; 30a-j, 38a-b, 39a-f, 40a-b, 41a-b

226 all together.

---------------------------

And the gpx file (note this was made with an older version of Garmin Mapsource United States Topo)

Attached Files Attached Files

Default Newly Created GPS and Topo

Newly created GPS and TOPO! ready files (based on Jonathan's Google Earth file) - see below by Blisterfree...

Included below are:

* 2 full-trail, gps-ready GPX files (nobo and sobo) - each is 20 track segments @ 500 waypoints per track. Any modern GPS unit conforming to or exceeding the standard "20 tracks of 500 waypoints per track" maximum storage capability should be able to load and run these file.

* 8 state-specific GPX files (nobo x 4 & sobo x 4) - more detailed than the above - each is a variable # of track segments (<20) @ <500 waypoints per track. One or two of these files should be loadable at once, depending on GPS unit storage capacity.

* 2 CDT "sub-master" files - one is GPX, the other TPO. Both are essentially the same data as Jonathan's original KMZ file. The GPX file is typically too large for uploading to a GPS, but offers endless possibilities for editing / customization / further expansion. The TPO file is the same data, but formatted for NatGeo TOPO!, with red lines for the "main" route and blue lines for the alternates. The TPO might be useful if printing custom maps, for instance if planning a hike beyond the scope of Jonathan's CD-ROM map coverage, or if wanting to add custom annotations to printed maps.

Any and all of these resources can later be amended based on changes to Jonathan's KMZ (Google Earth) master file, and periodically we'll try to attend to this.

This all came into being rather suddenly (and very easily, let it be said). The only one who deserves any street cred whatsoever is Jonathan Ley, who has invested I'd imagine thousands of hours at this point in the creation and updating of his CD map set from which all other resources were born. My hat is off!

- blisterfree

CDT Ley route: full trail, gps-ready (SOBO):
    http://www.simblissity.net/downloads...route-sobo.gpx

Description: Jonathan Ley's Continental Divide Trail kmz file converted to gpx format and divided into 20 track segments of 500 waypoints per track, presented for the southbound traveler. Track segments detail only the main / official and/or "Ley" route of the trail, and do not describe alternate routes that may deviate from this "main route." Track segments are organized by state as follows: Segs 1-7 MT; Segs 8-10 WY; Segs 11-16 CO; Segs 17-20 NM. Any modern GPS unit conforming to or exceeding the standard "20 tracks of 500 waypoints per track" maximum storage capability should be able to load and run this file.

CDT Ley route: full trail, gps-ready (NOBO):
    http://www.simblissity.net/downloads...route-nobo.gpx

Description: Jonathan Ley's Continental Divide Trail kmz file converted to gpx format and divided into 20 track segments of 500 waypoints per track, presented for the northbound traveler. Track segments detail only the main / official and/or "Ley" route of the trail, and do not describe alternate routes that may deviate from this "main route." Track segments are organized by state as follows: Segs 1-4 NM; Segs 5-10 CO; Segs 11-13 WY; Segs 14-20 MT. Any modern GPS unit conforming to or exceeding the standard "20 tracks of 500 waypoints per track" maximum storage capability should be able to load and run this file.

CDT Ley route: Montana (SOBO):
    http://www.simblissity.net/downloads...ntana-sobo.gpx

Montana portion of Jonathan Ley's Continental Divide Trail kmz file, converted to gpx format and divided into 16 track segments of not more than 500 waypoints per track, presented for the southbound traveler. Track segments detail only the main / official and/or "Ley" route of the trail, and do not describe alternate routes that may deviate from this "main route." The track (waypoint) data in this file is more detailed than that in the "full trail" gpx file, with the caveat that many GPS receivers will not be able to store more than one or two individual state files at a time. Still, any modern GPS unit conforming to or exceeding the standard "20 tracks of 500 waypoints per track" maximum storage capability should be able to load and run this individual state file.

CDT Ley route: Montana (NOBO):
    http://www.simblissity.net/downloads...ntana-nobo.gpx

Montana portion of Jonathan Ley's Continental Divide Trail kmz file, converted to gpx format and divided into 16 track segments of not more than 500 waypoints per track, presented for the northbound traveler. Track segments detail only the main / official and/or "Ley" route of the trail, and do not describe alternate routes that may deviate from this "main route." The track (waypoint) data in this file is more detailed than that in the "full trail" gpx file, with the caveat that many GPS receivers will not be able to store more than one or two individual state files at a time. Still, any modern GPS unit conforming to or exceeding the standard "20 tracks of 500 waypoints per track" maximum storage capability should be able to load and run this individual state file.

CDT Ley route: Wyoming (SOBO):
    http://www.simblissity.net/downloads...oming-sobo.gpx

Wyoming portion of Jonathan Ley's Continental Divide Trail kmz file, converted to gpx format and divided into 7 track segments of not more than 500 waypoints per track, presented for the southbound traveler. Track segments detail only the main / official and/or "Ley" route of the trail, and do not describe alternate routes that may deviate from this "main route." The track (waypoint) data in this file is more detailed than that in the "full trail" gpx file, with the caveat that many GPS receivers will not be able to store more than one or two individual state files at a time. Still, any modern GPS unit conforming to or exceeding the standard "20 tracks of 500 waypoints per track" maximum storage capability should be able to load and run this individual state file.

CDT Ley route: Wyoming (NOBO):
    http://www.simblissity.net/downloads...oming-nobo.gpx

Wyoming portion of Jonathan Ley's Continental Divide Trail kmz file, converted to gpx format and divided into 7 track segments of not more than 500 waypoints per track, presented for the northbound traveler. Track segments detail only the main / official and/or "Ley" route of the trail, and do not describe alternate routes that may deviate from this "main route." The track (waypoint) data in this file is more detailed than that in the "full trail" gpx file, with the caveat that many GPS receivers will not be able to store more than one or two individual state files at a time. Still, any modern GPS unit conforming to or exceeding the standard "20 tracks of 500 waypoints per track" maximum storage capability should be able to load and run this individual state file.

CDT Ley route: Colorado (SOBO):
    http://www.simblissity.net/downloads...orado-sobo.gpx

Colorado portion of Jonathan Ley's Continental Divide Trail kmz file, converted to gpx format and divided into 13 track segments of not more than 500 waypoints per track, presented for the southbound traveler. Track segments detail only the main / official and/or "Ley" route of the trail, and do not describe alternate routes that may deviate from this "main route." The track (waypoint) data in this file is more detailed than that in the "full trail" gpx file, with the caveat that many GPS receivers will not be able to store more than one or two individual state files at a time. Still, any modern GPS unit conforming to or exceeding the standard "20 tracks of 500 waypoints per track" maximum storage capability should be able to load and run this individual state file.

CDT Ley route: Colorado (NOBO):
    http://www.simblissity.net/downloads...orado-nobo.gpx

Colorado portion of Jonathan Ley's Continental Divide Trail kmz file, converted to gpx format and divided into 13 track segments of not more than 500 waypoints per track, presented for the northbound traveler. Track segments detail only the main / official and/or "Ley" route of the trail, and do not describe alternate routes that may deviate from this "main route." The track (waypoint) data in this file is more detailed than that in the "full trail" gpx file, with the caveat that many GPS receivers will not be able to store more than one or two individual state files at a time. Still, any modern GPS unit conforming to or exceeding the standard "20 tracks of 500 waypoints per track" maximum storage capability should be able to load and run this individual state file.

CDT Ley route: New Mexico (SOBO):
    http://www.simblissity.net/downloads...exico-sobo.gpx

New Mexico portion of Jonathan Ley's Continental Divide Trail kmz file, converted to gpx format and divided into 10 track segments of not more than 500 waypoints per track, presented for the southbound traveler. Track segments detail only the main / official and/or "Ley" route of the trail, and do not describe alternate routes that may deviate from this "main route." The track (waypoint) data in this file is more detailed than that in the "full trail" gpx file, with the caveat that many GPS receivers will not be able to store more than one or two individual state files at a time. Still, any modern GPS unit conforming to or exceeding the standard "20 tracks of 500 waypoints per track" maximum storage capability should be able to load and run this individual state file.

CDT Ley route: New Mexico (NOBO):
    http://www.simblissity.net/downloads...exico-nobo.gpx

New Mexico portion of Jonathan Ley's Continental Divide Trail kmz file, converted to gpx format and divided into 10 track segments of not more than 500 waypoints per track, presented for the northbound traveler. Track segments detail only the main / official and/or "Ley" route of the trail, and do not describe alternate routes that may deviate from this "main route." The track (waypoint) data in this file is more detailed than that in the "full trail" gpx file, with the caveat that many GPS receivers will not be able to store more than one or two individual state files at a time. Still, any modern GPS unit conforming to or exceeding the standard "20 tracks of 500 waypoints per track" maximum storage capability should be able to load and run this individual state file.

Ley CDT master file - GPX format:
    http://www.simblissity.net/downloads...cdt-master.gpx

Description: Jonathan Ley's Continental Divide Trail kmz file converted to gpx format. File contains multiple track segments, representing the main / official and/or "Ley" route of the trail, as well as alternate routes. This gpx file is too large to be stored as a single file by most GPS units, but can be edited/split in GPS or mapping software to suit the requirements of a particular unit or of the user. For GPS-ready gpx files that require no prior editing, use the "cdt-full-route-gps-ready" gpx files (NOBO or SOBO) or the individual state files.

Ley CDT master file - TOPO! format:
    http://www.simblissity.net/downloads...cdt-master.tpo

Description: Jonathan Ley's Continental Divide Trail kmz file converted to .tpo format for use with NatGeo TOPO! mapping software. File contains multiple .tpo-formatted line segments, representing the main / official and/or "Ley" route of the trail, (in red) as well as alternate routes (in blue). Waypoints contained within the file delineate the trail's (red line's) termini at state and international boundaries, as well as the termini of the alternate routes (blue lines).

Default Garmin Mapsource Topo Maps

I've created a zipped Mapsource file (.gdb) for the United States Topo maps used on the CDT. This is basically a strip of 109 maps to cover the trail and many of it's alternatives. Depending on your memory you can add more (or subtract is need be) to include nearby towns etc.

You need Mapsource United States Topo software for this file to work.

Montana & Idaho (36 maps)
    Wyoming (24 maps)
    Colorado (23 maps)
    New Mexico (26 maps)

Total 25.1MB
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Good job, Sly!

Must have been a lot of work to do all that. It should be very useful indeed. Thanks!

Default CDT Mapsource

Sly,
    I was hoping to use this for my through hike this year. When I click on the file it says that I need Mapsource Topo West. I have 1:100,000 Topo US 2008. Do you know of an way to make it compatible with my current software?
    Thanks,
    Heavy

Quote Originally Posted by heavyhiking View Post
    Sly,
    I was hoping to use this for my through hike this year. When I click on the file it says that I need Mapsource Topo West. I have 1:100,000 Topo US 2008. Do you know of an way to make it compatible with my current software?
    Thanks,
    Heavy
    Hmmm, I did make it with older version of TopoUSA, not Topo US 2008 and apparently they're not compatible. Sorry.

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

anyone have waypoints for a Delorme? I just got mine in the mail and am trying to figure all this out
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

I just posted a few NEW files on my Google site.

https://sites.google.com/site/frankgilliland/

Along with the previous CDT alignment files are updates to Montana's track file (BETA3), Wyoming and New Mexico "Possible" water sources, and an Up-dated J. Ley Compass Rose file. The water waypoint files are from the Ley maps and BLM information.

The Compass Rose edits and additions for the 2012 Ley maps is/are worth a look from any previous year waypoint or spreadsheet file. Please check these two files for any errors, omissions, or additions. Let me know.

Edits I found and made:

CO24 New
    CO41 Edit
    CO46 Edit
    MT27 Edit
    NM1 - NM8 These maps no longer have a compass rose. I left the old Lat/Long for reference purposes
    NM14 Edit
    NM38a New
    NM38b New
    NM39e Edit
    NM39f Edit
    NM39g New

Hike on…..

StarMan

Images

You guys are making my head spin out of control. I'm going to go buy a Garmin Etrex20. I hope it all makes sense eventually. Must one be a geek to hike the CDT?
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    You guys are making my head spin out of control. I'm going to go buy a Garmin Etrex20. I hope it all makes sense eventually. Must one be a geek to hike the CDT?
    Though I work as a geek to pay the bills, I simply used a map and compass on the CDT.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I've hiked the CDT twice - never used a gps. It's not necessary as long as you really pay attention to map and guidebook. You do, however, need to know how to read a map.

++ New Posts ++