WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Max Patch Trail Magic

2008ers, I'm planning to organize Trail Magic and a mini-reunion at/near Max Patch April 18 & 19. Should be plenty of hikers coming through around then, plus, a good excuse to get together. PM me or Facebook me if you can make it and can help with some of the food, and I'll fill you in on the details.

Also know that Rockhound is going to be having a throwdown at Standing bEar that weekend for Earth Day, 420!

Biggle,
    The 3rd and 4th weekends are not good weekends for trail magic at Max Patch. there are two big feeds in the general area that will be holding hikers back. There is likely to be a void of hikers across Max Patch on Sat or Sun of either of those weekends.

Don't know what you're driving but you might want to see about providing shuttles back to Standing Bear Sunday night/Mon morning. We are having the 1st annual post Easter/pre-Earth Day party on Mon. April 20th. It'll be easier sending hikers your way if they know they have a way to get back for the party. Of course you are also invited. Average shuttle for that distance is around $30. I'm sure hikers would not mind chipping in for a ride.

It could be hard to coordinate the whole shuttling thing from Max Patch back to Standing Bear as part of a trail magic weekend. And, it is likely to create more issues than you might be willing to deal with.

Also, message for Rockhound... I thought Curtis was trying to keep this event low profile so as to keep the number of 'off trail' participants to a minimum. Im not sure posting on WB supports that goal, if it is still part of the plan.

Default Trail Magic

Some good information has been offered and I am reminded that---
    A couple of years ago--a good-hearted soul carried grill, 10 # of steaks and all the fixin's (incl wine!) up Max Patch on your planned weekend and saw nary a hiker!

Also, TrailFest is in Hot Springs--April 25....some hikers will be there. Perhaps you could offer your enthusiasm and availability to that hiker event. A good way to get involved and your help would be appreciated, I'm sure.

S
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    It could be hard to coordinate the whole shuttling thing from Max Patch back to Standing Bear as part of a trail magic weekend. And, it is likely to create more issues than you might be willing to deal with.

Also, message for Rockhound... I thought Curtis was trying to keep this event low profile so as to keep the number of 'off trail' participants to a minimum. Im not sure posting on WB supports that goal, if it is still part of the plan.
    Well we don't want it to be like Woodstock but we do not want to limit it to just those that are thru-hiking either. If anyone is driving in, parking will be somewhat limited. You may consider making a weekend of it and hiking in from Hot Springs. This being the first year we really don't know what to expect for a turn out.

Biggle,
    There are several hiker feeds that are coordinated in that area during the month of April. Im sure some of those folks wouldnt mind you assisting with those feeds. I am aware of feeds at the following locations in April

Dicks Creek
    Rock Gap
    Stecoah Gap
    Fontana Dam
    I-40/Pigeon River
    Browns Gap
    Garenflo Gap
    Allen Gap
    Sams Gap

There are likely a lot of other offerings of trail magic that I am not aware of that are annual events, and there is alway the random acts on any given day.

There are also the two festivals; April's Fools Bash (Franklin NC 4/4) and TrailFest (Hot Springs 4/28) to consider.

I can also give you ideas of the best trail magic locations and the times of the day to expect hikers at those crossings. As was stated in the previous post, sometimes you may just be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Remember that hikers (especially in the souther part) will be traveling in packs based on shelter or campsite locations. I have heard many stories of trail angels getting discouraged/frustrated because they sat at a road for several hours and not seen a single hiker. Many times, they either got there just after the last of the hikers passed, or left just before the hikers got there. Most hikers are hitting a road crossing within a 1-2 hr window. Some roads are fortunate to get two or maybe 3 'packs' of hikers coming across them in a single day. Trail magic is all about location, location, location.

Hope you have a great trail magic day and all the hikers you can feed.

Images

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    Biggle,
    There are several hiker feeds that are coordinated in that area during the month of April. Im sure some of those folks wouldnt mind you assisting with those feeds. I am aware of feeds at the following locations in April

Dicks Creek
    Rock Gap
    Stecoah Gap
    Fontana Dam
    I-40/Pigeon River
    Browns Gap
    Garenflo Gap
    Allen Gap
    Sams Gap

There are likely a lot of other offerings of trail magic that I am not aware of that are annual events, and there is alway the random acts on any given day.

There are also the two festivals; April's Fools Bash (Franklin NC 4/4) and TrailFest (Hot Springs 4/28) to consider.

I can also give you ideas of the best trail magic locations and the times of the day to expect hikers at those crossings. As was stated in the previous post, sometimes you may just be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Remember that hikers (especially in the souther part) will be traveling in packs based on shelter or campsite locations. I have heard many stories of trail angels getting discouraged/frustrated because they sat at a road for several hours and not seen a single hiker. Many times, they either got there just after the last of the hikers passed, or left just before the hikers got there. Most hikers are hitting a road crossing within a 1-2 hr window. Some roads are fortunate to get two or maybe 3 'packs' of hikers coming across them in a single day. Trail magic is all about location, location, location.

Hope you have a great trail magic day and all the hikers you can feed.
    You left a couple oranges and Cokes by Cable Gap shelter in mid-march of 2003. Thanks, they were much appreciated!
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Great feedback, everyone. I think the 2008ers participating that Sat and Sun at Max Patch are, in part, doing it for personal enjoyment/reunion. We aren't trying for anything big, by any means. We'll have some grub and sodas, and any thrus can join us, but no problem if numbers are small. Maria already invited us to Standing Bear that Monday, so some of us do plan to stop by. Thanks guys!

++ New Posts ++