WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need places to train for AT in Wisconsin...

Ok, so i just moved back to Wisconsin after living in Ohio for 8 years. I didn't realize how many different hiking opprotunities I had down there until I moved back here.

So anyway, I want to get some miles in for my brother and I before our section hike on the AT in late April. I am in Green Bay, WI and the closer the better.

But I'd like to find something where we can hike 7-10 miles a day camp overnight to get him used to the gear setup, etc, and then hike another 7-10 miles out.

I bought the 50 Hikes in WI book, but those are mostly 5mi or less hikes. Can someone please reco either a stretch on the IAT or other places in WI????

hahahaha....funny guy eh?

Images

Head to the UP and hit Pictured Rocks. The hike is about 40 miles one way, but you can set up a shuttle to take you back to the car. You could do this over two days. The Porcupine Mountains, also in the UP, have more opportunities. Its going to be pretty bastard cold up there from now to April, though. Personally, I'd just spend a few days a week running and hitting up Devils Lake.

I think I saw Devils lake in my book. Ill have to check that out again.

Biggest thing is that he (my brother) has never hiked before. So I want to get him on a 7-10mile hike and then have him setup and break camp so that I can get somewhat of a feel for his speed, pack handeling, etc. I know nothing here will compare to the AT, but anything is better than nothing at this point.

Images

Until the weather breaks, there's no decent hiking (w/o snowshoes) in very northern Wis/Mn/Mi. Once late April comes, the Porcupine Mtns in the Western UP of Michigan are similar to the AT. Pictured Rocks is part of the NCT. Isle Royale (after May 1) is an excellent way to break in to pretty remote trails, especially the west end of the island (fewer people, more wolf/meese).

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

++ New Posts ++