WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

As of a week or so ago the spigot was not working. Most of last summer from Aug on I hauled water up to the shelter. the water from the house is really only practical if you are a SoBo otherwise you are talking .7 down the hill and .7 back up.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    As of a week or so ago the spigot was not working. Most of last summer from Aug on I hauled water up to the shelter. the water from the house is really only practical if you are a SoBo otherwise you are talking .7 down the hill and .7 back up.
    How much water do you lug up there? That's quite a hill to tote water up coming SoBo.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    How much water do you lug up there? That's quite a hill to tote water up coming SoBo.
    The most I have done is about 5 gallons at a time. I did do a bunch of Firewood and 3 gallons of water another time but don't do that except when we get those cold wet spells near the end of the SoBo parade. Gets me in good shape that is for sure.

Anybody know how the water sources in this area have been recently?

Quote Originally Posted by 2XL View Post
    Anybody know how the water sources in this area have been recently?
    You are in Ridgefield? Hey neighbor. The water sources on the AT in northern CT, southern MA, that have problems when NY has problems, was running strong last weekend.

Yes, I am in Ridgefield, grew up here and never left.
    I was thinking of going to Pioneer Shelter tomorrow night to enjoy the first chilly night of the season. We haven't had any real rain for a while now and was wondering how the stream was flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XL View Post
    Yes, I am in Ridgefield, grew up here and never left.
    I was thinking of going to Pioneer Shelter tomorrow night to enjoy the first chilly night of the season. We haven't had any real rain for a while now and was wondering how the stream was flowing.
    Maybe the local maintainer, Sasquatch2014, can chime in here or you could PM him. Alternatively, you can easily carry in enough water to last one night. While I bet the stream is flowing, carrying a little extra water on the easy hike in is a no-brainer.

Images

I would just haul it up from the purple house at the bottom of the hill just to be safe. The small stream up there tends to go dry more often than not. I think that they still have a sign on the small fence by the spigot. The house would be to your left if you are facing trail south. Also it is pretty picked over for wood but if you grab a few big pieces as you make the turn off from the trail to the shelter you should find it pretty easy.

Default Water

I was there on 3/21/09 and the stream was running strong.

The shelter was in excellent condition. It rained the night before, so the area in front was a bit muddy. There were a few loose roof shingles underneath, so we spread them out as a "door mat". Before we left, we put them back underneath.

There is a picnic table with attached benches and 2 other loose benches. There's a fire ring in front of the shelter and we emptied out the ashes and charcoal and scattered them far from the shelter. There's also a small bow saw hanging on a nail on the side of the shelter. The blade is dull but works well enough.

The privy is in excellent condition.

There are a few tent sites on the left side facing the shelter and further left, down the hill 20 yards, or so, several more.

All in all, a very nice experience. A big Thank You to the maintainers!

Quote Originally Posted by Half Step View Post
    I was there on 3/21/09 and the stream was running strong.
    All in all, a very nice experience. A big Thank You to the maintainers!
    I was just there yesterday and agree with everything you said. Big props to the maintainers of that section.

Also, the bog bridges north of the shelter, right before the Metro North AT trail stop have been replaced and are a huge improvement.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

Did you see if there was still any wood left under the shelter? Not sure when I'll get back up there might be a few days.

Yep, a pile of small diameter wood... didnt' really pay attention to exactly how much was there, but it looked like a fair amount. I don't think anyone stayed there on Saturday night, since the weather on Saturday seemed to keep people mostly off the trail.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

Ok thanks I'll try to get up there before this weekend.

Default Thanks Sasquatch

Great job maintaining the shelter and good to meet you Sunday evening.

Images

Glad you had a good hike. Remember the train runs all year round so when the rat race is a bit too much head for the hills. Give me a shout next time you head up this way and who knows maybe Hank and I will shake loose to hike with you for the day.

Images

A bear was sighted on 5/25 not too far from the Telephone Pioneer shelter. Please make sure to hang all food away from the shelter and tenting area and use proper bear bagging procedures. A bear was also seen with in 1/4 mile of the Wiley shelter as well so they are appearing to be more active this year than in past years. A small bit of prevention can keep this from becoming an issue and instead make it special out door experience.

Images

Stayed over night here 25 Sept. Stream dry. Water at purple house at west side of Dutchess County 20/West Dover Road (walk down the driveway, the spigot is on one of the posts of the metal fence to the right, a few paces past the gate in the fence). It's a steep 0.7 from West Dover Rd. Bring a train schedule. It's fun to listen to the whistles echo off the sides of the valley and identify the trains. It's a nice walk from the shelter trail/AT junction north (ALDHA south) to Cat Rocks where you'll have a great view of the valley and plenty of opportunities to collect fire wood. A local guy who gave me a lift from the train station said the rocks are named after mountain lions that roam the area, not kitties. But he said the mountain cats are not active lately. I saw nothing bigger than the geese that went honking over the shelter site.

Images

Good thing to know that the shelter stream is dry right now. I hope that the rain due in tomorrow will get it up and going again. Will try to keep it posted at the road crossings about stream.

Spent the night Saturday the 8th, the stream is running fast and clear. We tented up above the shelter to the right if you are look at the shelter. there are some spots a bit higher than the privy that are perfectly level.

There were some young 20's in the shelter for the weekend whom were polite and quiet but burned a lot of green wood (lots of smoke) I got the impression they are there often.

No trash other than theirs (which looked like they were planning to pack out) and hte privy is in great shape. Was hoping Mr. Sasquatch would make an appearnce but it was not to be
    ~Christy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wystiria View Post
    Spent the night Saturday the 8th, the stream is running fast and clear. We tented up above the shelter to the right if you are look at the shelter. there are some spots a bit higher than the privy that are perfectly level.

There were some young 20's in the shelter for the weekend whom were polite and quiet but burned a lot of green wood (lots of smoke) I got the impression they are there often.

No trash other than theirs (which looked like they were planning to pack out) and hte privy is in great shape. Was hoping Mr. Sasquatch would make an appearnce but it was not to be
    Sorry to have missed you maybe on the next pass we will meet. How were the rocks around the fire pit holding up? i keep meaning to concrete them into place but just have a hard time motivating myself to haul it up the hill.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++