WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mont-Bell Bag? Maybe?

Hey All, first post here!

Just moved from Indiana to Northern Virginia, can hit the AT via Sky Meadows State Park, only about 30 minutes from my house, so you can say I'm in heaven! I am in the market for a light bag, I have a Kelty that I use when I go canoe camping up in the Boundary Waters, but it's a bit bulky and heavy, and would like something that can pack small an light.

I am a bigger guy, muscularly, with a 54" chest. Hey, I play rugby, what can I say! Anyway, I am wanting a bag that will be comfortable, and I found the Mont-Bell Super-Stretch bags, and they look like they would fit the ticket, but I obviously can't go try one out at REI! Any recommendations for these bags, for a bigger guy? I also saw the Big Agnes bags, but have read mixed reviews about the issue of relying on the pad to give you insulation.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

i've wanted one for quite awhile but had the same problem with not being able to try it out first, especially since it costs so much. luckily, my darling roots let me try out hers on a hike awhile back. only thing i can say is buy it! it was heaven in the form of down. it was warm as all get out, super light, and it was so roomy (slightly claustrophobic and don't like being confined so i've never chosen mummy before). there were no reservations for me once i'd gotten in it.

I checked most bags and if I'm not mistaken the Montbell super stretch has the widest girth (70.9"- 75.6" depending on length). Make sure to get the proper length, the regular is to 5'10" long to 6' 4"

Ditto to Kanga's advice! It's a great bag and you won't be displeased with the purchase. I have two Montbell SS bags - a 15 degree bag for winter and a 40 degree summer bag. I could be happier both. Both are lighter than comparable BA temp bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I checked most bags and if I'm not mistaken the Montbell super stretch has the widest girth (70.9"- 75.6" depending on length). Make sure to get the proper length, the regular is to 5'10" long to 6' 4"

I am 5'10", would it be OK to get the longer bag for the added girth? Not sure if the extra room at the foot would be a bad thing or not? I could always stuff some clothes or something down there I suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by nhlfan View Post
    I am 5'10", would it be OK to get the longer bag for the added girth? Not sure if the extra room at the foot would be a bad thing or not? I could always stuff some clothes or something down there I suppose?
    If your 5' 10" I'd get the longer bag. They have a draw string in the last baffle that allows you to push the bag inside itself and shorten it. Thy're awesome bags.

Go for it, I'm another MontBell fan. I have the #2 and it's awesome...

Default Perfect

They are excellent bags. The Stretch system works.

I have two of the them, 15 degree and 32 degree. They are WARM! Get the long version.

You have a 94% chance of being pleased with a Montbell bag.

Ya, I did the math.

OK, I guess you've all talked me into it. Going to order one today. I am thinking of getting a 15 degree for the early-spring, late fall hikes, then if I like it I will spring for a lighter weight one later on.

Thanks for all your advice everyone. Oh, and if I don't care for it, I'm going to blame all of you

Peace!

OK, I guess you've all talked me into it. Going to order one today. I am thinking of getting a 15 degree for the early-spring, late fall hikes, then if I like it I will spring for a lighter weight one later on.

Thanks for all your advice everyone. Oh, and if I don't care for it, I'm going to blame all of you

Peace!
    Shop around. Prolightgear.com often has them on sale.

Peace!

get the 0* and then if you don't like it you can send it to me and make me suffer. just sayin'.

hey, be aware too that they come in 650 fill and 800 fill.

cheapest on 650 at campsaver right now:

http://www.campsaver.com/itemmatrix....8&MatrixType=1

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    cheapest on 650 at campsaver right now:

http://www.campsaver.com/itemmatrix....8&MatrixType=1
    LOL, just ordered that I about 2 minutes ago, not bad for 2nd day shipping either, only like 12 bucks or something. Going to test it out in a two-nighter solo March 6-7 on the AT, just a little hike while my wife and kids will be gone. Thanks again for all the advice, I'll let you know how I like it. Now time to pick a pad! I have a full-size thermrest that, again, I use for canoe camping, but am thinking about the prolite line. Any advice on that end?

i've had a regular thermarest for going on 15 yrs with only two patches, but after listing their new stuff for $150 and up they can kiss my big white bertha butt. i'm doing my research now. btw, there's a semi-informative, very entertaining thread around here somewhere right now on thermarests. nothing wrong with my old one so i guess i'll stay there for a while.

LOL, just ordered that I about 2 minutes ago, not bad for 2nd day shipping either, only like 12 bucks or something. Going to test it out in a two-nighter solo March 6-7 on the AT, just a little hike while my wife and kids will be gone. Thanks again for all the advice, I'll let you know how I like it. Now time to pick a pad! I have a full-size thermrest that, again, I use for canoe camping, but am thinking about the prolite line. Any advice on that end?
    Big Agnes insulated air core

Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    Any specfic one? How do they inflate, do you blow them up or are they self-inflatable? I know a lot of people seem to swear by those 2.5" thick ones. Do they pack small?

Any specfic one? How do they inflate, do you blow them up or are they self-inflatable? I know a lot of people seem to swear by those 2.5" thick ones. Do they pack small?
    Mines a 20x78x2.5. Yeah, you gotta blow them up. But it only takes 10 -15 puffs on it to get it where I like it. It packs down a little bigger than a nalgene. It's heavy at 27 oz, but to me it's worth it for the sleep it let's me get.

Mines a 20x78x2.5. Yeah, you gotta blow them up. But it only takes 10 -15 puffs on it to get it where I like it. It packs down a little bigger than a nalgene. It's heavy at 27 oz, but to me it's worth it for the sleep it let's me get.
    Thanks for the input. I am thinking of getting one, I compared the BA mummy sized pad and the prolite 4, looks like the BA is a bit lighter and packs a bit smaller, plus 1 inch thicker! So I may go with that!

Images

I'll second that suggestion. I am a side sleeper, 6'3", 250lbs., and can sleep without my hips touchin the ground. Great Pad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++