WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default Wiley Shelter - NY

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Wiley Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Images

I was there in June 2002. The water supply was low but adequate. The shelter is dark inside as the opening is smaller than the width of the shelter. There is a large stone fireplace just outside the shelter. The most interesting part of this shelter is the maintainer who visits a couple times every day and has been doing it for 16 years. He's left a supply of buckets, pots, rakes, grills, etc. There's even a mailbox containing backpacker mags! Some nice tent sites nearby. The privy could use a window.

Default Wiley Shelter

Stopped by for a lunch break on March 14, 2004
    Things have not changed since DebW's report. Shelter maintainer still checking in a couple times a day.
    Makes night time checks around 11 pm sometimes! He does do a great job. Shelter area in very good shape, plenty of tenting areas and picnic tables. Even a tenting platform.The privy does need a window
    Water source was tagged be sure to treat.

Happy Hiking

2XL

Default reflecting on reflectors

I stayed at Wiley Shelter on a southbound section hikeone winter. I arrived in the evening. Someone has stuck THOUSANDS of those little reflective dots on the trees around the shelter, so if you approach the shelter at night from the north, your headlamp will shine on these things...being winter, I was alone and it spooked the snot out of me! Looked like millions of critter eyes! (Having seen a set of bear eyes starring at me a mile previous on the trail probably helped that jittery feeling along!)

Default Wiley Shelter 17. January 2005

Overnighted at this shelter, having hiked in a longish day after a late start from Morgan Stewart Shelter. The reflectors were of some use in following the trail by headlamp. No mouse preventers or other foodhangers were evident, but neither did they prove to be needed. Overnight temps were approx 0 d F, according to the provided thermometers. The handpump didn't seem to be functioning, but the boxed spring beside it was flowing vigorously, so it didn't matter anyway. Over all a pleasant cold winter night. A supply of Coleman fluid was discovered under the shelter, so we took a little as our supply was low.

The hike out the next day took us from 11 am to about 2 pm northbound to reach Bull's Bridge. The Housatonic was rampaging whitewater choked with surface ice.

Walt

Default Wiley Shelter

I was there overnight in Sept. 04, I tarped on the tent platform. I was serenaded first by great horned owls and then by coyotes up on the ridge. It was beautiful.

any monsters in here...? Monster's Avatar

Wiley is the first AT shelter I ever stayed at. It's nicely laid out, the pump being a few hundred feet North and creating a lot of traffic throughout the sight. There's also LOTS of open tent space. I stayed there a night in early August '06 while out for the weekend. There was a "grand confluence" of NOBO's and SOBO's, which was fun to observe. Plenty of room for all of us between the shelter and the plentiful tenting sights. The bummer is that you can hear the traffic on a nearby road.

nice place to stop in after conn. ... it's got a fire pit! yippee! (ct doesn't allow fires.)

but the lean-to and the grounds need some attention. pump broken. shelter run down. busted picnic tables. rain gutter bent so the rain all channels down right in front of the shelter. that kind of thing. a good work party could do nice things there in a day.

on the other hand, someone did leave a badminton set behind ...

Default Wiley Shelter

I spent the night there last Saturday (5/10). It has a nice privy, and a good pump. Everything appeared in good shape, including what looks like a brand spanking new bench. It is located very near a local road with some traffic noise, though I didn't see any signs of the locals abusing the place. The hike from Hurd Corners into the shelter was decent enough. It's 6 miles through the Pawling Nature Reserve, with lots of water and solitude, though no scenic vistas to speak of during the walk.

Unhappy wiley maintainer

I understand Bob Woodin, the shelter maintainer, did himself in a year ago.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LUMP View Post
    I understand Bob Woodin, the shelter maintainer, did himself in a year ago.
    I hadn't heard that but will be out with another AT supervisor on Friday and will try to find out if this is currently being maintained or not.

Images

I did find out that he has passed but some relative of his is now the maintainer.

at the shelter today.
    pump working, clean privy, nice new-looking picnic table.
    there was a lot of junk at the site, old clothing, a jacket, about 10 various pots and pans, 6 1L water bottles, a coffee mug etc...
    packed out what i could but was limited in space so there is plenty left...

Quote Originally Posted by Dingus Khan View Post
    at the shelter today.
    pump working, clean privy, nice new-looking picnic table.
    there was a lot of junk at the site, old clothing, a jacket, about 10 various pots and pans, 6 1L water bottles, a coffee mug etc...
    packed out what i could but was limited in space so there is plenty left...
    Um, I think all the "junk" is always there (meaning the pots and pans and mug). part of the charm of that particular shelter.

A lot of that stuff has been there for years. I remember an old large percolator haning on the side of the shelter, there for years also.
    I think the maintainer the recently passed, liked to have stuff around for just in case a hiker was in need.
    That old maintainer was at that shelter a couple times a day and would usually stop by at midnight to check on it.

AT 2012

was there yesterday. sorry to say someone thought the picnic table looked like firewood and is now an ugly hulk in front of the shelter. pump works fine.
    Lazarus

Images

Are you saying that someone burned the picnic table? also I had heard that there was a blow down just north of the road crossing near the shelter did you notice this? I will pass the info along to the section coordinator.

Default Too bad there was no wood available

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++