WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

Looks like someone's stove got away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Reprobate View Post
    Looks like someone's stove got away from them.
    I have seen enough scouts burn a spot in a picnic table. It doesn't burn clean through. Besides, there is no lack of snow around to put it out.

Pictures were taken today. I neglected to take the pics of the asorted Bass Ale and Guiness Stout tossed around the woods. I didn't have a garbage bag with me, so I stacked the ones I found near a tent platform.

I usually only take pics of scenic vistas and the trail, but I thought I would give maintainers a heads up and others a view of what happens at shelters built too close to the road. This one is 0.2 miles off Duell Hollow Road near the NY/CT border.

Images

Thanks I'll send the pic on to the NYNJ Trail conference. That was one of the new picnic tables. I tell you we may need to start a bail fund. This area of the trail is also where my car was broken into about 2 years ago. If I find these little bastards that keep doing this **** I swear to god they will learn how to crawl along the trail back to their cars with broken legs with me kicking them in the ass the whole time.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Cousin-in-law of mine remarked a week ago that they knew of some kids who 'go there to party' who go to the marvelwood school in Kent CT. Not sure they're the beer drinking crowd though. I'll ask some questions.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

ive been there twice and i saw drop down the hill to ten mile river
    its a short and easy trip to ten mile river . looks really dirty and trashed
    and in 2007 there was a dead turkey in the cistern ..
    i think kids party there from time to time or something

Images

I parked at 55 on a section hike in October. When I got back to my car, a trooper was patrolling the parking area.

At least thats something...

Images

More than likely he was just turning around as you are right at the state line.

Images

Spoke with area supervisor. Sounds like the table was burnt sometime around New Years. They are aware of it and have plans for the table to be rebuilt. Thanks guys for letting me know about this so I could pass it on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Former Admin View Post
    Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Wiley Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?
    Ughhh....Wiley Shelter....

We had planned to stay there on our SOBO last year and arrived to a bunch of kids partying. They all ran to the shelter and claimed it so that we would not stay there (not that we wanted to after seeing/hearing them). They were all from the Bronx (And VERY obnoxious!) and had never been out in the woods but thought it would be "cool" and took the train to the AT then hiked up. We stealthed on pass the shelter up on Hammersley Ridge and passed all their discarded stuff along the way (suitcases, bags of food, tolietries, clothes). Their stuff was strung out all the way to the train station. A section hiker that passed by our camp the next morning said he had to deal with the partying all night, a girl crying, and another girl getting sick (from drinking too much). Ughhhh......

Images

Ten mile river is the place to go ..the shelter is disgusting and should be removed IMHO....

Images

I was just there last night and brought a load of od up as I thought that the hiker i met last night at the Telephone Pioneer Shelter might have been there. I figured a nice fire of dry wood after hiking in the rain all day may have been the right ticket. He wasn't there but two other hiker were.
    Hill

The maintainer who covers from NY 55 south of Nuclear Lake to Depot Hill the dirt rd just north of the Morgan stewart Shelter was there. He was replacing the picnic table that was burnt this past Jan. While the shelter is one of the old ones it is looking fairly clean.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    I was just there last night and brought a load of od up as I thought that the hiker i met last night at the Telephone Pioneer Shelter might have been there. I figured a nice fire of dry wood after hiking in the rain all day may have been the right ticket. He wasn't there but two other hiker were.
    Hill

The maintainer who covers from NY 55 south of Nuclear Lake to Depot Hill the dirt rd just north of the Morgan stewart Shelter was there. He was replacing the picnic table that was burnt this past Jan. While the shelter is one of the old ones it is looking fairly clean.
    fairly clean? what were you drinking??

wiley is a pit

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

sasquatch2014, im gonna be there on saturday, is there a fair amount of wood layin around?
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Virginia Tortoise

Wiley was one of the shelters that I tented next to instead of sleeping in back in 2003. It's obviously seen better days. Any plans to replace it?

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    sasquatch2014, im gonna be there on saturday, is there a fair amount of wood layin around?
    unless someone carried it out in the last 3-4 weeks, there is a huge pile of logs and plenty of smaller stuff in the area. just don't burn the picnic table that was previously burned and then repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    unless someone carried it out in the last 3-4 weeks, there is a huge pile of logs and plenty of smaller stuff in the area. just don't burn the picnic table that was previously burned and then repaired.
    forgot I posted a pic of the wood - #22 above... might be a little green yet, but I am sure you will have no problem building a fire.

if you are hiking into CT, on the other had, fires are prohibited along the AT and at campsites

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    fairly clean? what were you drinking??

wiley is a pit
    Now don't confuse dark, old, cluttered and run down for dirty. I guess I should have said that it was picked up and no trash other than the shelter itself.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    There is the stuff that was cut but it is all still very wet and very large to burn easily. You will need to hunt and peck it is pretty picked clean around there. I would think that if you went down from the tent areas over that steep hill you will find stuff most folks are too lazy to haul wood even 10ft up hill. They would rather haul it 1/4 mile down hill.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++