WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

The mousetraps are still gone. And so are the mice.

Images

Id like to stay at this shelter. Does it have an access trail? And where can I park. Im trying to figure it out and it seems like bulls bridge is the nearest road. Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by jrnj5k View Post
    Id like to stay at this shelter. Does it have an access trail? And where can I park. Im trying to figure it out and it seems like bulls bridge is the nearest road. Can anyone help?
    Yes, you park at Bulls Bridge, either in the little parking area there just west of the covered bridge, or along the road west of the gorge. The shelter is a little over a mile south of that area, along the white-blazed trail. Turn west after you cross the foot bridge (across 10 Mile River), then turn south after maybe 50 yards, when you see the shelter sign. There's a little general store just south of Bulls Bridge (on Route 7) and a whole retail area (pizza, coffee, antiques, etc.) north of there in Kent. Enjoy.
    dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    (howard zinn)

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by copythat View Post
    Yes, you park at Bulls Bridge, either in the little parking area there just west of the covered bridge, or along the road west of the gorge. The shelter is a little over a mile south of that area, along the white-blazed trail. Turn west after you cross the foot bridge (across 10 Mile River), then turn south after maybe 50 yards, when you see the shelter sign. There's a little general store just south of Bulls Bridge (on Route 7) and a whole retail area (pizza, coffee, antiques, etc.) north of there in Kent. Enjoy.
    Beware the mechanic at that Gulf Station. Stole my GPS (handheld, not car-navigational) right out of my glove box.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

Was just there this past Tuesday. Everything looked in good shape and the river was really running fast. If you want more of a hike you can always part at the NY/CT line and head over to the shelter that way up and over 10 mile hill. As others have said the shortest and flattest route is along the trail next to the river you can either pick up the AT where it meets the road or closer to the concrete bridge the trail that heads out from there eventually meets the AT and then down to to where the shelter is located.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

to be clear the shelter is on the blue blazed trail in the meadow above the river watch for the sign you can't see the shealter from the AT

Was there Friday night 5/7 - Got in before the Thunderstorms showed up. There were already fire flies! Pump is working great, no trach in the area and the shelter was in good condition.

The privy on the other hand needs some work - no roof and lots of rot in the wooden structure.
    ~Christy

Was just there. One of the best!. Its near the river and also has a great pump. The privy has been fixed. Lots of credit goes to the Connecticutt ridgerunners who do a great job there.

AT 2012

just over the bull bridge not far north from the shelter there's a blue blaze trail heading south about a quarter mile to a spectacular swimming hole on the river, with a locally favored cliff jump. this has become my favorite way to end a day hike from kent south the bull bridge. i'd recommend this swim highly. for day hikers, you can park at the bull bridge, hitch north to kent, walk back to your car, get into a bathing suit and cool off. pretty easy hitch. heavenly today!!!
    Lazarus

I spent a wonderful evening here recently. The river was a welcome cool off for my feet and the water pump worked well for me. The shelter smelled a bit like urine when I stayed there, but the spot is really great. Fireflies lit up the meadow all night long and I awoke to a beautiful sunrise and a lingering mist above the tall grass. A lot of day hikers pass through because of its proximity to roads. Someone had made an (illegal) fire pit and left a bunch of half-burned garbage around. DON'T TAKE WATER FROM THE RIVER! It is still very polluted. I hitched into Kent the next day and the driver told me locals are even still skeptical of swimming in it...

Oh, forgot to mention. This is also a very accessible destination for New Yorkers looking to hike for a day or two from the nearby MetroNorth station. The NY Times magazine explains: The Campster | Ten Mile River

Quote Originally Posted by hikerltwt View Post
    skip the lean to and walk a bit further to the camping area. I distinctly remember reaching that spot and thinking....damn I made new england!
    +1 Snacktime, Strife and I stayed at the camping area in May.....WONDERFUL! Strike hoofed it to the pump at the lean-to for water and we used a steri-pen to purify. It wasn't rusty or metallic and we were all fine. However, the next day we camped at the foot of the Schaghticoke blue-blaze at a great spring and the water was great. Also, the larger brook between Schaghticoke and Mt. Algo was a great water source. (check our pics)
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I've stayed at Ten Mile in September and October this year. The shelter was in good condition, but the well wasn't working either time. You're right next to a river though, so you should be okay . I started a new blog recently, and threw a bunch of pictures of the shelter up on it; you can check it out at http://rangetravelblog.com/nyc-at-nov-14/.

Images

Late on this thread but what's Bull Mountain? Was that the name of Ten Mile Hill in 2013, or did this writer never actually DO the hike?

Images

sorry referring to the campster article listed above at http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2...le-river/?_r=1

Images

i mean 2011, when the article was posted.... hey at least im not getting paid for incorrect information

Images

rangetravelblog, enjoyed your post. Ten Mile is a nice spot and the updates on Wiley continue thanks to an Eagle scout project and some thru hiker help from what I've read recently.

Quote Originally Posted by rangetravelblog View Post
    I've stayed at Ten Mile in September and October this year. The shelter was in good condition, but the well wasn't working either time. You're right next to a river though, so you should be okay . I started a new blog recently, and threw a bunch of pictures of the shelter up on it; you can check it out at http://rangetravelblog.com/nyc-at-nov-14/.
    The river is contaminated with PCBs, I would avoid drinking it if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    The river is contaminated with PCBs, I would avoid drinking it if at all possible.
    The shelter is at the confluence of two rivers. The Housatonic has the PCBs but the Ten Mile is probably PCB-free.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

The ten mile river should not be drank from!!!! Prime the pump more.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++