WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Ideas for Dealing with Odd/Suspicious People & Scenarios

Reading a post in another thread about someone "hiking" with suitcases on the AT got me thinking about dealing with odd and suspicious people.

(Weird people are a different matter, because most hikers are weird .)

Because I'm male, I'm guessing I've probably run into fewer problems than I might if I were female, and that the general threat scenario is less. But I've still run into a few loose screws and budding psychopaths out there. And I'm betting that with all the layoffs, there will be more odd and perhaps unsavory people on the trails this year with time on their hands.

Since the murders of the Bryans and Meredith Emerson, and also getting to my intended campsite in Pisgah Forest late one Friday night last September only to find a bunch of drunk and aggressive young males with BB guns shooting up the place---I have come to the conclusion that prudence calls for adaptation. [Like say, carrying a special hidden "friend." That I'd rather not have to use.]

For instance, now when I go solo I do not hike to the point where I have to quit due to fatigue. I leave some capacity so that if I get to a place that doesn't feel "right" I can continue on down the trail and away from the potential trouble. I have to say that having a hammock gives me MUCH greater flexibility, since i don't have to have a flat place to sleep...I can just string it up between trees on the side of a hill if need be; this provides much greater "stealth" in that on the side of a hill is NOT where trouble is likely to find me.

I know that perps always "interview" their victims to ascertain their vulnerability. They're looking for signs of weakness, and the psychopaths are often damn good at reading body language.

So, I've developed the following scripts to answer when "chatting" with people until I get a better feel for them. I follow my gut, and I consider their general bearing, eye contact, do they "push the boundaries," seem to personal/inquisitive, etc.

Q: [Them] "Where ya going to?"
    A: I'm out hiking around these hills. How about you?

Q: [Them] "What do you like about being out here?"
    A: All of it. Exercise, nature, the way you can hear all the sounds from far away.

Q: [Them] "Where you coming from?"
    A. South [or North/East/West] of here a ways.

Q: [Them] "Got any friends coming?"
    A. Yeah, we're spread out along the trail. How about you?

Q: [Them] "Planning on staying/camping here tonight?"
    A: Just resting for now. I'll figure it out in a little while. How about you?

Q: [Them] "How many nights you out for?"
    A: I take it one day at a time. You?

Q: [Them] "Mind if I come with you?"
    A: I don't think that would be a good idea.

Q: [Them] "What are you, some sort of loner?"
    A: Let's just say I like my space and leave it at that. [change subject].

I thought this might help some folks about to hit the trail this year, especially newbies who have less epxerience and need more thoughtful preparation.

Any other ideas for handling difficult & touchy situations?
    I walk the line.

Images

On the way to Springer last year my friend and i stopped at Fontana Dam and walked around a bit, ended up at the "hilton" where there was a solo woman hiker there. Just talked with her a bit when she hit me with, "yea, I'm waiting for my friends that are hiking up behind me".

Pretty clear she was there a while and I had the realization, I made her nervous.

Geez, she used the I got friends coming line on me. Oh well, I smiled and moved on you can't alleviate the fear.

GA-ME-04
    Images

Start a casual conversation about the CCW class you just finished, and be sure to mention that great deal you got on that HK .45

Any one ever talk to the Deposed queen of England? I think here real name is Peggy and she usually hangs around the Fullhardt Knob shelter and surrounding area.

i met her a couple of times

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

I don't really think about it. I try not to live my life in fear. Just use your intuition. If your Spidey-sense is tingling, get out, if not, stay.

Images

is she some type pf vagrant? Hey LW- im taking the last week of may off for a trek through the highlands southbound for Damascus, ride the creeper trail w my brother. im beside myself with anticipation.

seeing someone on trail, one of the first things i notice is gear/clothes. i believe that even a hiker thats not the quickest of cats/the best of times would be able to discern a sketchy person from brethren. as crappy as it sounds, just about everyone judges books by their covers...first impressions tainted or enthusiastic. i guess what im trying to say is never to keep your guard down, always be aware of your environment, keep and ear upwind at all times, etc

Images

In 2006 I remember being in GA. and we met a guy in cowboy boots and a leather trench coat and he had a huge backpack on. Semi weird but he was carring a pick ax. I asked what he was doing and he kinda gave me the run around and then he finally told me he was looking for gold and a couple days later I heard from some people that were behind me at the time say that he was digging a big hole in the ground right off the trail. So I guess he was looking for gold. Still weird.

I just kick them in the nuts.
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Images

Hey what if they dont have any. They just dont have to be guys to be weird.

Images

yeah thats the thing, most ppl hope that someone sketchy doesnt come into camp. on the contrary, i wish some person comes in my camp. ive always wondered how easy/fun it would be to incapacitate a harmful person with a nice, long, heavy piece of firewood.
    bury them right there, deliverance style, mark the grave with some rocks. haha. hopefully i will never have take the road to cross that bridge, and wish all the peace and serenity to everyone's adventure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksaari View Post
    yeah thats the thing, most ppl hope that someone sketchy doesnt come into camp. on the contrary, i wish some person comes in my camp. ive always wondered how easy/fun it would be to incapacitate a harmful person with a nice, long, heavy piece of firewood.
    bury them right there, deliverance style, mark the grave with some rocks. haha. hopefully i will never have take the road to cross that bridge, and wish all the peace and serenity to everyone's adventure.
    Ok Nick, just crossed you off of 'people I want to hike with' list......
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

I second that lilred

I tend to have some pretty strong feelings when it comes to personal safety- and I pretty much have a set spiel that I share - here 'tis:

Having been the victim of a violent crime (raped at gunpoint when I was 21) my views on personal safety tend to be a little different than most. (and probably a little skewed quite frankly)

I tend to have a very loose and carefree demeanor and I refuse to let "what could happen" stop me from doing anything, because honestly, short of being murdered the worst has already happened to me and I survived. I trust my gut when it comes to my own safety. I've hung out in places that most wouldn't and with people that the average person would shy away from.

The one thing I would advise is not to immediately judge a person by first glance. I've known bikers that are leather-wearing, loudmouthed, and scruffy, yet wouldn't hurt a soul. And I've known ivy-league college graduates with with their hair gel and Dockers and polo shirts that I wouldn't be caught alone with in a room.

Just be aware, and be friendly, but don't necessarily take everyone at face value. And remember that any weapon you carry, whether a gun or pepper spray, can be turned against you. And if you don't think you could actually fire either of them on another person, don't carry them.
    ~CJ aka WritinginCT

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot

Images

Dont second guess yourself/gut feeling. Easy enough.

Past few times hiking I have had some pretty difficult people at the camp site. I am careful to not say where I am going or where I am camping at next. I think at times the peole that worry me the most are those who seem to be lieing and want to know to much information.

"Reading a post in another thread about someone "hiking" with suitcases on the AT got me thinking about dealing with odd and suspicious people......" That my makes my decision easier. I was trying to decide between a Gregory or a Sampsonite for my next hike.

I'm going with old-fashioned steamer trunks...two in fact. The empty one I'll use as my shelter. Anybody know how to seam-seal a steamer trunk?

-

to avoid seeing scary people on the trail is easy for me since there are so few mirrors

Images

Having worked in prisons for nearly 30 years, really scary people look pretty much like everyone. Can be big and nasty, or look like an acountant. You never can tell.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++