WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

oh nevermind

Default Help with South Carolina driving directions - Foothills Trail

I'm an idiot, this is really simple and I still can't figure it out, I know I know I know:

I'm doing a portion of the Foothills Trail over my spring break, and I'm trying to give driving directions to my friend to pick me up at Fish Hatchery Road. Can someone who knows the area help me make these directions more specific? I don't want to be stranded or get her lost. They came straight out of the Foothills guidebook.

"SC 107 West onto Fish Hatchery Road. Approx 10 mi North of intersection of SC 107 and SC 28. At approx シ mi, a parking area is located where the trail crosses the road. "

And why on earth can't I find sc107 on a road map online? Or on google maps? Am I confused because this is practically on top of NC? And what city am I closest to at this point? ahh help!
    THE PEOPLE LOOK LIKE FLOWERS AT LAST
    www.oystereyes.etsy.com

DO realize that when a road crosses the NC/SC state line they can change what they call the road. LOL. I didn't know this at first so when I was looking at a SC map I couldn't find the same road under that name in NC!

What section of the FT R U hiking?

Wandering Vagabond
    Images

I can help you with this. Just go to Google Maps and enter these coordinates: N34 58 36.7 W83 04 15.5

This will show you the point you池e missing. Zoom out and you値l notice a map of Walhalla, SC just to the south (the nearest town).

Once you have the map of Walhalla you値l notice Hwy 28 headed west out of town (also called Highlands Hwy). Follow Hwy 28 until you see Hwy 107 split off to the right from Hwy 28, about 8 miles from Walhalla.

Continue on Hwy 107 for approximately 11.2 miles to the Fish Hatchery Road on the left. Again, the GPS coordinates for junction of the Fish Hatchery Road and Hwy 107 are as follows:

N34 58 36.7 W83 04 15.5

Hope that helps and you値l love the Foothills Trail, my favorite.

I would not leave a car there if thats your plan.
    You can leave it at Oconee State Park or at Bad Creek. These are the only places you can count on secure parking.(on that end of the trail)

I have left an auto at Nicholsons Ford, Big Bend Road, Burrell's Ford, and at The Fish Hatchery for a couple of days at a time. Some have had problems there but I have not.

Leaving a car directly on a pull off of 107 probably wouldn't be a good idea.

What section are you hiking?

Wandering Vagabond
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nearly Normal View Post
    I would not leave a car there if thats your plan.
    I think they want the directions so that someone can pick them up at that location, at least thats how I read it.

Yeah, brain fart.

Wandering Vagabond
    Images

Tell me about the problems you have heard about at both Nicholsons Ford and Big Bend Road. I have parked at both, but I must admit that I don't think I want to drive my car on Big Bend Road again. That road is truely a forest service road!

I took my Camry down that road once and I had my doubts that I'll ever get back out. Nicholson's Ford road is much better but I bet that little lot is a zoo in the summer.

Either way both of those are much better than parking right on Hwy 107, as you say.

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    DO realize that when a road crosses the NC/SC state line they can change what they call the road. LOL. I didn't know this at first so when I was looking at a SC map I couldn't find the same road under that name in NC!
    Yeah, we feisty SOUTH Carolinians don't want to cooperate with those yankee NORTH Carolinians! LOL Or, is it the other way 'round?!

I do appreciate reading the directions and all, as some day I want to hike on the Foothills Trail when I'm visiting home.
    RainMan

One road near my house here in Nashville changes names at least four times! And don't even talk about Oak Ridge, Tennessee, where they actually did that on purpose to fool spies and in case of attack by land during the Manhattan Project years, when the government built Oak Ridge from scratch.

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

oh nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by MintakaCat View Post
    I can help you with this. Just go to Google Maps and enter these coordinates: N34 58 36.7 W83 04 15.5

This will show you the point you池e missing. Zoom out and you値l notice a map of Walhalla, SC just to the south (the nearest town).

Once you have the map of Walhalla you値l notice Hwy 28 headed west out of town (also called Highlands Hwy). Follow Hwy 28 until you see Hwy 107 split off to the right from Hwy 28, about 8 miles from Walhalla.

Continue on Hwy 107 for approximately 11.2 miles to the Fish Hatchery Road on the left. Again, the GPS coordinates for junction of the Fish Hatchery Road and Hwy 107 are as follows:

N34 58 36.7 W83 04 15.5

Hope that helps and you値l love the Foothills Trail, my favorite.
    Oh! Ah! Thank you thank you thank you! This is why I'm on WhiteBlaze, lovely people like you.
    THE PEOPLE LOOK LIKE FLOWERS AT LAST
    www.oystereyes.etsy.com

++ New Posts ++