WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pocket Rocket vs. Simmerlite

I hope I have come to the right place.

I am just wondering if I could get some feedback on the MSR Pocket Rocket and the Simmerlite.

I've read up on both and realize that the Pocket Rocket is lighter and boils quicker (by about a minute...), but 3 ounces and 1 minute is a fine compromise for giving me added security against clumsily knocking my food over.

I am just wary about the Pocket Rocket's stability with a container on it, and have thoughts of the Simmerlite being a bit more klutz-proof.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for letting me pick your brains.

Brook

Images

I have both and like both. I like the pocket rocket for how easy it is to start and put away. I have never really had a problem with stability of either.

I guess that doesn't really hep you much, but that is my 2 cents.

PS- use the pocket rocket more
    Stumpy

You can never go wrong with butter or bacon!!!!

Images

to Whiteblaze. You'll likely get many differing opinions on this. We're nothing if not opinionated on stuff around here.

Just MHO. Kind of two different animals in the stove sense. The pocket rocket is an iso-butane canister and the simmerlite is a white gasoline liquid fuel. Both are good stoves. The pocket rocket is a bit lighter and I'd have to say that it is more klutz proof as well. Screw on the canister, open the valve, light it and cook. No liquid fuel to mess with or spill, no fuel hose, no generator to foul, no gasket to go bad, jets to clog, etc. I've never owned a simmerlite but did own its predecessor the whisperlite. It was a good stove in its day, but I'd have to vote for either a canister or alcohol stove as the way to go these days. No stove is tip proof, and burns are bad, and even more so in the outback. As a result I'm always really careful around any of these small stoves as none of them are great from a stability standpoint, so I've never found that to be a big plus or minus.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Three advantages of the Windpro ( the cannister version of the Simmerlite) are:

1) Ability to use a wind screen safely, which can't be done with the Pocket Rocket.

2) Wider burner means more even heat distribution throughout a pan if you are actually cooking versus just boiling water.

3) The ability to modify the gas valve so you can turn the cannister upside down and turn it into a liquid burn stove, which allows for better performance in cold weather. I don't claim to understand all the particulars, but Backpackinglight.com offers details of how to safely do so.

That said, unless you often camp below freezing, point 3 is not a big deal. If you generally just do boil and/or simmer meals, point 2 is not much of a player.

If you're worried about the whole stove tipping when using a small cannister, you can buy a cannister stand from Jetboil.
    Last edited by Bearpaw; 02-15-2009 at 17:24.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

I use the Titan Kettle with my MSR Pocket Rocket and it has worked fine. Totally understand the klutz-proof question though. The nice thing about the kettle is that I can see each of the three prongs on the stove when the kettle is sitting on it. That way I know it's centered and not likely to tip over. I would be more leary of a pot that covered the prongs as I wouldn't be able to tell if it was properly centered. Nothing like a pot of boiling water falling over to ruin a good day.

Images

If you are just going to boil water, 3 seasons go with the pocket rocket. If you actually want to cook and do some winter camping go with the simmerlite. I have both stoves and they are great for what they were made for.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

I was in the same situation and opted to go with the simmerlite for a few reasons. I do a lot of my camping when it is below freezing. You become a welcome addition to all the canister stove owners in the winter when they have to hold theirs over your flame to get theirs to work (Wrongway). I liked the stability that it provides never had it tip over once and it has been on some not so even surfaces. I also liked the fact that I could run it on several types of fuel. I don't have to pack, or waste, a half empty canister. I fill up and I am good to go.

My PocketRocket was fine for pots up to 2 liters. I used a 3 liter pot on it once on a family hike and it was a little unstable, even with the wider base of the larger, larger capacity cannister. The reason for the instability proved to be the flex in the pot supports. For a solo or duo hike, no problem. Great stove at a good price.
    I sold the PR and bought a Vargo Jet Ti. Performance is about the same, but the Vargo has a slightly larger burner and is better for frying bacon and eggs (which I do on rare occasions).
    Btw: I believe the Simmerlite's weight is without the fuel bottle. Add the weight of the empty bottle you're most likely to use.
    Fwiw: You could start out with the simmerlite and the 22oz. bottle when it's cold and switch to the 11oz. later, or just ship the whole thing home and use alcohol or Esbit in the warmer months. Don't forget that in colder weather most people build a fire and it's a waste of money to use your fuel to cook when there's free heat available in the campfire.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Thanks everyone for the respones! I really appreciate it.

4eyedbuzzard: Thanks! And you're right. If I just think about being a little more careful my entire problem will be solved...

Bearpaw: That canister stand looks like a great solution. Thanks a ton for informing me.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject, I let my friend handle the cooking. However, I'm now hooked on backpacking and want to eventually pick my grandfathers dream of hiking the AT back up for him. But you need your own gear for that...

One newbie question.

So the Simmerlite uses a reusable container that you manually fill with white gas? And on the other hand the Pocket Rocket uses a iso-pro canister that cannot be reused?

Thank you all again for your responses!

Brook

Quote Originally Posted by soods View Post
    Thanks everyone for the respones! I really appreciate it.

4eyedbuzzard: Thanks! And you're right. If I just think about being a little more careful my entire problem will be solved...

Bearpaw: That canister stand looks like a great solution. Thanks a ton for informing me.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject, I let my friend handle the cooking. However, I'm now hooked on backpacking and want to eventually pick my grandfathers dream of hiking the AT back up for him. But you need your own gear for that...

One newbie question.

So the Simmerlite uses a reusable container that you manually fill with white gas? And on the other hand the Pocket Rocket uses a iso-pro canister that cannot be reused?

Thank you all again for your responses!

Brook
    Your newbie assessment is correct.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Another vote for the Windpro over either the Simmerlite or the Pocket Rocket.

Hey take-a-knee.

Would the Windpro fit inside of a 1 liter pot? With a canister?

Hey take-a-knee.

PM me if I don't get back on this, I'll check. Which pot do you have or are thinking of? I would consider the Windpro a two person stove or a winter (snowmelting) stove. Solo? Alcohol all the way unless you are carrying 10-12 days food/fuel. There is a point somewhere beyond 5-6 days where the weight of the alcohol itself becomes prohibitively heavy, depending on your daily use (which typically goes up as the temp goes down).

i love my pocket rocket. its lasted a long time. no knowledge of the other stove. good luck

Images

Hey take-a-knee.

I tried it with my MSR titanium pot and a small canister. No good. It will work in a stainless MSR pot 1.5 liter.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

I have used a Pocket Rocket fairly frequently and find it works great. . .except in cold weather. Remember spending about half an hour boiling a liter of water one December evening. Stability seems okay to me, but I am quite careful around it.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    PM me if I don't get back on this, I'll check. Which pot do you have or are thinking of? I would consider the Windpro a two person stove or a winter (snowmelting) stove. Solo? Alcohol all the way unless you are carrying 10-12 days food/fuel. There is a point somewhere beyond 5-6 days where the weight of the alcohol itself becomes prohibitively heavy, depending on your daily use (which typically goes up as the temp goes down).
    I have a GSI 1.1 liter Ti pot. http://www.rei.com/product/784114
    It fits a canister perfectly, circumference wise. It also fits the Pocket Rocket perfectly inside.
    I haven't even considered an alcohol. What type of alcohol stove do you use? Homemade?

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelReserve View Post
    I have used a Pocket Rocket fairly frequently and find it works great. . .except in cold weather. Remember spending about half an hour boiling a liter of water one December evening. Stability seems okay to me, but I am quite careful around it.
    How do you manage to be careful!?!? Us young guns don't know how to do that!! haha.

Images

I picked up a little folding canister stand from Brunton at the local REI, it works pretty slick, slightly different from the Jetboil one above.

Looks like this:
    Last edited by IceAge; 02-19-2009 at 11:23.

I have a GSI 1.1 liter Ti pot. http://www.rei.com/product/784114
    It fits a canister perfectly, circumference wise. It also fits the Pocket Rocket perfectly inside.
    I haven't even considered an alcohol. What type of alcohol stove do you use? Homemade?

Thanks for your help.
    The Windpro won't fit inside that pot I don't believe, you'll need a wider/flatter pat like a 1.3 or larger, the Windpro's pot supports are much wider than the Pocket Rocket's. Like I said, I think it is a two man stove.

For alcohol I use an MSR Titan Kettle (0.85L) and a Caldera Cone system from Anti Gravity Gear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++