WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Do allow to build a Fourom just for younger people.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

I'm all for it. If it provides a place (just like the women forum) making teens feel more comfortable and more independant I'm all for it... heck... I'm 19... key on TEEN!!! (a little biased perhaps)

When I was 14 I was into dope, stealing, and raising hell that is 10^10 beyond the trouble a 14 year old should raise.

This seems productive... somewhat healthy... though hiking is healthier than typing about hiking

I love the wise old vets... I want a lot of what they have (though I may leave some)... but no harm in the young bucks gettin a little love.

Though everyone had good points above... I perhaps am naive to some of the dangers???

keep on keepin on youngin and geezers alike!!!

God Bless
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ryanwheeler007 View Post
    But a forum for stupid questions now that's an idea, god knows I've asked enough of them!
    Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question.

Stupid answers?! WB has a surplus of those and we could use a forum just for keyboard junkies who like to post stupid replies! Lord knows, we have an abundance! LOL

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I voted No because I do not want WB to get too fragemented. Older and younger folks interact just fine on the trail. Let's not get splintered.
    You are never too old.

Separatists Unite!

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

hear me out guys, speaking as an early teen, i think it's a great idea.

Exceptions:

Thread starters should be less than 30 or wahtever is deemed young. i know there are weirdos who would get themselves banned w/ something for under 20 y.o.'s

Moderaters, Lone Wolf, Wise Old Owl, Ranc0r, and anyone else who thinks that they can offer some advice for teens+ should be allowed to start threads.

There should be someone who can discern a post not pertaining to hiking/thruing and put a poll w/ a link to post if they think people should deem it unneccessary and remove it (Example:a post by a guy about girls)

Anyone is allowed to reply to posts and offer their advice.

(btw, i respect the aforementioned people and think that they are some of the greatest advice givers around.
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

no, some people are tooo paranoid, if you want to protect the young ones then tell their parents not to let them get online, or at least not allow them on google, yahoo, any e-mail for that matter, facebook and other social networking sites and any thing else where one can post a comment like any newsite or blog..... basically don't let them online if you are that paranoid
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

I voted "no" because you ain't takin away my Social Security.

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Since I am actually a dog, in people years I am actually only 6 going on 7. Do I qualify?
    wouldnt that make u 315 or so, u r in ur teens again!!! Welcome!!!
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

I voted "no" for a forum for young people for the same reason I would vote no to a forum for gays that hike, a forum for blacks that hike, a forum for whites that hike, a forum for men who hike, a forum for women who hike, a forum for yankees that hike, a forum for funny looking people from England who walk funny while hiking, etc. I'm for forums for hikers......period.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OldStormcrow View Post
    I voted "no" for a forum for young people for the same reason I would vote no to a forum for gays that hike, a forum for blacks that hike, a forum for whites that hike, a forum for men who hike, a forum for women who hike, a forum for yankees that hike, a forum for funny looking people from England who walk funny while hiking, etc. I'm for forums for hikers......period.
    But would you vote for a silly-walk forum, provided posts be permitted without prejudice due to age, gender, ethnicity or nationality?

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

I voted NO because apparently they don't teach spelling anymore to young people and the darn thing would just be unreadable.

Voted No. The kids here are hikers, period. I haven't seen any hostility towards them in my short time here. Unless they own a dog.

If you want to start threads just for the youngsters, then preface your subject lines with "Whippersnappers:" or something. If nothing else, the various spellings could be entertaining.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Ok, I voted against kids. I say "send them back where they came from." They look funny because they smile too much and they think they know everything (which they might).
    -- "But I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now." - Bob Dylan

Seriously, while I think it is a good thing if it can be done, speaking from a lot of experience in Scouting with websites from almost the inception of the Web, there are several serious issues:

- Confidentiality of email addreses. There is an email option in PMs, which while anonymous, can result in youth responding with their actual email. This would have to be disabled.

- Prevention of adult involvement. The Female Forum was initially supposed to be only for women, and thru-hiking class forums just for those years. These rules are routinely ignored. They would have to be strictly enforced.

- Identification of youth correctly. There is no way here to insure that a registrant is a youth upon registration.

These problems are fairly minor when there is no dedicated "youth" area. But when the population of such a forum becomes identified as involving youth, there are some serious administrative problems that will require a LOT of admin/moderator effort. I'm not certain everyone will think it worth the effort.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Predators is a biggie also. The Weasel also makes good points.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

A hiker, a hiker nothing more needs to be said.
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Quote Originally Posted by OldStormcrow View Post
    ummm, yeah...

Default A forum for younger people won't work

Quote Originally Posted by YoungMoose View Post
    This is a poll for younger peoples forum Dont vote no if your concerned for the safety of younger people from predators. I will be able to figure something out.

yes
    NO
    I voted "no" because I don't believe a forum for younger people will last. I have a lot of experience with online forums and have tried to get younger people (teens) to participate. So far, I have been unsuccessful.

The Facebook type of discussion fits teens a lot better than an online forum.
    Shutterbug

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

I can understand why the younger hikers would want their own forum. When I was 15 I was bullet proof and knew everything, while the geezers were clueless. As I gained some life experience the geezers seemed to gain wisdom. Hmmm, imagine that!

I see no need to further partition this site. Aside from all the garbage and egos that enter into the threads, the site is a fantastic resource for sharing information and knowledge about hiking. If desired, a straight forward thread is easy enough to start for kids topics only.

I also must add, it's great to see so many young people enthusiastic about the outdoors and hiking. We geezers welcome you!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

I voted yes because I hate following the crowd.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

I Gotta Get out of Here!! Foyt20's Avatar
    Images

I voted no in February, due to the reason, the board should not have to police itself, parents should take responsibility for their own children, and the PARENT should police what the child/tween/teen is doing on the internet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++