WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

I've never hiked the Smokies in high season myself, but a friend of mine who did it as a section, with reservations, arrived at a full shelter. Everyone in there swore they had reservations, which was obviously untrue. She just made them scoot over. That said, I'd carry a lightweight shelter, just in case. Given a choice between violating the rules and getting into a knock-down, drag-out fight with people already in the shelter, I'd probably tent.

With your short-mileage hiking plan, though, you should be arriving at the shelters in plenty of time to claim your spots.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I've never hiked the Smokies in high season myself, but a friend of mine who did it as a section, with reservations, arrived at a full shelter. Everyone in there swore they had reservations, which was obviously untrue. She just made them scoot over. That said, I'd carry a lightweight shelter, just in case. Given a choice between violating the rules and getting into a knock-down, drag-out fight with people already in the shelter, I'd probably tent.
    That scenario has crossed my mind as well. I plan on carrying my Lunar Solo just in case. I ain't gettin' in no fight over a shelter slot.

From reading trail journals it appears that the majority are past the Smokies by May 1 and Spring Break will have already passed. It may not be as crowded as feared.

Like I posted earlier, I was looking at Sept/Oct for this trip but my friends couldn't swing it.

With your short-mileage hiking plan, though, you should be arriving at the shelters in plenty of time to claim your spots.
    Why, thank you for thinking I'd get there early....

I might or might not get there early. From looking at the elevation profiles this section has more, per mile, elevation gain than the other sections of the AT I have done (Amicalola-Neels, Max Patch to Allen Gap, and Damascus to Kincora).

I have some of the side trails marked on my map, Mt Cammerer Firetower, Charlies Bunion, and Shuckstack Tower. The Boulevard Trail to Myrtle Point idea doesn't fit in, but could be an option of our permits are denied.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    If you're getting a thru-hiker permit and hiking from Hot Springs, you'll be able to tent if the shelters are full.
    Wrong.
    GSMNP uses the 50 miles rule. To be considered a thru-hiker you must begin 50 miles outside of the Park and end 50 miles outside the park.
    Hot Springs is less then that.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisvowen View Post
    Wrong.
    GSMNP uses the 50 miles rule. To be considered a thru-hiker you must begin 50 miles outside of the Park and end 50 miles outside the park.
    Does a permit from Hot Springs (or Fontana) look any different than a permit from any of the other self-service permit stations?

Is a thru-hiker who leaves the trail (as in going to Gatlinburg) still a thru-hiker when he returns to the trail?

Is anyone aware of a hiker with a thru-hiker permit who has been cited for not having a valid permit?

Quote Originally Posted by curtisvowen View Post
    Wrong.
    I could be wrong but if I'm not mistaken southbounders pick up their self registration permit in Hot Springs Can you link the rule?

Edit: The 50 mile rule is in the Companion.

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule View Post
    Does a permit from Hot Springs (or Fontana) look any different than a permit from any of the other self-service permit stations?

Is a thru-hiker who leaves the trail (as in going to Gatlinburg) still a thru-hiker when he returns to the trail?

Is anyone aware of a hiker with a thru-hiker permit who has been cited for not having a valid permit?
    Yes there are rules in place. They are also easy to break. Anyone can say they are thru-hiking even if they are just doing the Smokies. It comes down to a question of character. With funding cuts and reduced personnel the rules become harder to enforce. It appears as though the person who started this thread fully intends to follow all the rules. I hope his group has a great hike. They may even consider bringing along some trail magic. Might be a good way to make friends at a crowded shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    Yes there are rules in place. They are also easy to break.
    And the vast majority of "thruhikers" do break them.

A thru-hiker permit is self written and all it needs is "AT thru-hiker" written across it, you don't need to date or pick each shelter.

I believe the reserved permits are typed. They're also void if not on schedule or with the proper number of hikers listed.

Not sure if any one has been caught but according to the Companion it's a $125 fine and probably requires the quickest exit out of the park.

How's that?

Images

I believe the reserved permits are typed. They're also void if not on schedule or with the proper number of hikers listed.
    I don't think this is correct. The actual permit one carries if one has a reservation is exactly the same form used by thru-hikers, and is also hand-written. If you have a permit, you show up at the backcountry kiosk and write out, night by night, where you'll be staying. There is a space for the permit number.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

A thru-hiker permit is self written and all it needs is "AT thru-hiker" written across it, you don't need to date or pick each shelter.

I believe the reserved permits are typed.
    All the permit forms are the same. Only what the user writes on the form is different. They won't be typed unless you bring a typewriter with you.

I don't think this is correct. The actual permit one carries if one has a reservation is exactly the same form used by thru-hikers, and is also hand-written. If you have a permit, you show up at the backcountry kiosk and write out, night by night, where you'll be staying. There is a space for the permit number.
    Yup, I'm wrong again.
    Advance reservations are required to camp at the following sites:
    • All shelters
    • Backcountry Campsites 9, 10, 13, 23, 24, 29, 36, 37, 38, 47, 50, 55, 57, 61, 71, 83, 113 You can download a park trail map to find the location of backcountry shelters and campsites in the park.
    Plan your trip and determine which sites you wish to camp at. If your itinerary includes a reserved site or any shelter, you must call the Backcountry Reservation Office at (865) 436-1231 to make reservations. The Backcountry Reservation Office is open from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. daily. You may make reservations up to one month in advance of the first day of your trip. (For example, if you wish to backpack on August 8-12, you may call the Backcountry Reservation Office on July 8 to make reservations for the entire length of time you will be backpacking.) Be prepared to give your complete trip plan when calling the Backcountry Reservations Office.
    Reservations for backcountry campsites may be obtained only by calling the phone number listed above. They are not available on the Internet or through email.
    Please direct all questions concerning backpacking trip planning to the Backcountry Information Office at (865) 436-1297. The information office is open daily from 9:00 a.m. until noon (Eastern Standard Time).
    When you arrive in the park, you must complete a permit at one of the 14 self-registration stations listed above. Your permit must designate the campsite or shelter at which you will stay for each night of your trip. Keep the permit with you and drop the top copy in the registration box.
    If you do not plan to camp at a shelter or reserved campsite, then you only need to complete a permit. You do not need to call the Backcountry Reservation Office with your itinerary since no reservation is necessary.
    The maximum stay at a campsite is three consecutive nights. You may not stay more than one night at any individual shelter. The use of tents at shelters is prohibited. The maximum group size is 8 persons. The park does not allow pets on backcountry trails.
    Please call the reservations office to cancel any nights or spaces that become available because of changes in your plans.

Backpackers and hikers are subject to all Backcountry Rules and Regulations. Failure to abide by park regulations may subject you to a fine under Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations. Maximum fine for each violation is $5,000 and/or 6 months in jail.

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

Oh well, there's a first time for everything.....
    Papa John

According to Appalachian Pages 4 spots will be reserved at shelters for thru-hikers. I'm sure more than 1 group of section hikers have been surprised to find out the shelters were not theirs alone. I heard 1 story of a guy wanting to take his girl on a romantic camping trip,thinking they would have the shelter to themselves, only to wind up sleeping with a bunch of dirty, smelly thru-hikers.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default permit

This is true.the last time i was in the smokies doing some hiking ,i had to write my permit out for each night and which shelter i was going to be at on the date.

Still like to know what rules you think "the vast majority" of thru-hikers break.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    Still like to know what rules you think "the vast majority" of thru-hikers break.
    The one that requires them to remain on the Trail. Technically, one cannot spend the night (or longer) in Gatlinburg, then resume hiking in the Park on the original permit. (Fortunately for thru hikers, that rule does not appear to be enforced.)

The one that requires them to remain on the Trail. Technically, one cannot spend the night (or longer) in Gatlinburg, then resume hiking in the Park on the original permit. (Fortunately for thru hikers, that rule does not appear to be enforced.)
    Does that apply to section hikers? One option we are kicking around is to blow by Icewater, get picked up at NFG for the evening, and return in the morning. We were thinking it would be a game-day decision.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

-

for wiggle room in the smokies you can self submit more than 1 permit(not prohibited) then you can be legal if you cannot make the planned schedule/does not work for permits

I've never heard that for thru-hikers. Have a link?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++