WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The rule regarding who does and doesnt tent is as follows:
    Thru hikers (starting and ending 50+ miles outside the park) are required to give up space in the shelter for a person with a reservation. They hold 4 spots open for thru hikers during season. The assumption is that if you are not a thru hiker, then you are one of those that has a reservation, therefore you dont need to be tenting. A thru hiker must ALWAYS give up space in the shelter for a non thru hiker with a reservation. If you dont, and the person relays that information to a ranger (and the ranger finds you), you could be fined.

Many of the folks that get reservations at the shelters are not actually carrying a tent. That could be another way for your group to cut down pack weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    Many of the folks that get reservations at the shelters are not actually carrying a tent. That could be another way for your group to cut down pack weight.
    I've never done this. I have always carried a shelter. My main reason is I like being in my tent. Another reason is safety. What if I become hurt and can't go on? At least I can have a shelter wherever I am. I guess I could carry my emergency mylar blanket for such an emergency.

Do most/many folks backpack in the Smokies without carrying a shelter? It would only same me a pound and a half (Lunar Solo).
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Do most/many folks backpack in the Smokies without carrying a shelter?
    In my experience in the Smokies, the vast majority of those hikers whose itinerary involves staying only in shelters do not carry tents. (This observation is not applicable to thruhikers.)

Images

Regarding day 4: We are meeting with a couple others at Newfound Gap on that day (they are hiking the Gap to Fontana). We might blow past Icewater on day 3 and have them pick us up at Newfound Gap, head into town for a meal, hotel, and then start day 4 at Newfound Gap. Just an option. Makes day 3 a 15-miler.
    The extra three miles are mostly a long downhill grade to the gap. Shouldn't be a problem.

Overall your itinerary looks really good. Take your time, enjoy the scenery. I rushed through the northern half of the Smokies last fall and wish I had taken more time.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

If you intend to do GSMNP get your permits and shelter reservations now. Only thru-hikers are allowed to tent. You picked the busiest time for thru-hikers to be coming through also. Was this intentional? Tent space is limited also and you said you are traveling with a group? And you intended to let other section hikers reserve the shelter while your group intends to break the rules and tent once said shelter fills up? OK Where are the thru-hikers going to sleep? Not saying the Smokies are just for thru-hikers but these rules are put in place for a reason and it sounds as if your group has no intention of following them. My suggestion, if thats the only time you have to hike, get your permits and reservations and don't break the rules, Do more blue blazing. Theres a lot more to the Smokies than just the AT corridor. Or go a little later in the year after the thru-hiker rush is over.

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

You can't make reservations more than 30 days in advance. What difference does it make what time of year he choose to hike? If they want to hike in April or May then so be it as long as they can get reservations. The thru-hikers will have to make do, they are not a special class of hiker. I see nothing in his post that indicates they are going to do anything outside the rules.
    Papa John

Did not know about the 30 day rule. And we are actually in agreement believe it or not Papa John.. People should be able to hike/camp where they want and when they want provided they are abiding by the rules and regulations. This group is intending to SOBO GSMNP with the intention of ignoring the rules at the time of year when their actions will have the greatest impact on actual thru-hikers.

Chin did say that they intend to tent out at shelters even though that option is reserved for thru-hikers only

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    Not saying the Smokies are just for thru-hikers but these rules are put in place for a reason and it sounds as if your group has no intention of following them.
    Did not know about the 30 day rule. And we are actually in agreement believe it or not Papa John.. People should be able to hike/camp where they want and when they want provided they are abiding by the rules and regulations. This group is intending to SOBO GSMNP with the intention of ignoring the rules at the time of year when their actions will have the greatest impact on actual thru-hikers.
    You have NOT read our intentions correctly.

We know about the reservation part. Haven't called in yet. Wanted to post first and get input. We won't be "faking" the 50-mile thing and will be playing it straight. None of us like shelters either but we know the rules. Hopefully the shelters will be full when we get there....tent time.
    The only rule I was unaware of was that non-thrus could not, by rule, tent once shelters were full.

We certainly WILL be playing it straight and I do not appreciate your post.

Quote Originally Posted by papa john View Post
    I see nothing in his post that indicates they are going to do anything outside the rules.
    Thank you.

Timing wise, I wanted to go in late Sept to mid Oct but another couple could only go in the time frame posted. I am more flexible with my schedule. Right now there are 3 of us hiking the northern section and joining up with 2 others at NFG......permits WILL be requested at the proper time.

Images

Chin did say that they intend to tent out at shelters even though that option is reserved for thru-hikers only
    In all fairness, he did make that statement not knowing that tenting was reserved for thru-hikers.
    Papa John

Ignorance of the law is no excuse! He and his group should be severely punished to the fullest extent of the law! Honestly I don't care if you tent, hammock, cowboy camp, stealth, have/don't have permits/reservations...but if you want to do everything on the square I'd call 30 days out as I'm sure they fill up quickly.

I just have a head/sinus cold that's making me mean and grumpy today. I'd probably argue with ya if you said water was wet.

Images

Ignorance of the law is no excuse! He and his group should be severely punished to the fullest extent of the law! Honestly I don't care if you tent, hammock, cowboy camp, stealth, have/don't have permits/reservations...but if you want to do everything on the square I'd call 30 days out as I'm sure they fill up quickly.
    LOL, and made to carry everyone's water through the entire park!
    Papa John

Quote Originally Posted by kytrailman View Post
    Chin-- stealth if you have to-- I do in the park all of the time and it is fine.
    It's not "fine". That's a rationalization for breaking park rules. Public lands belong to all. Respect them please.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Ignorance of the law is no excuse! He and his group should be severely punished to the fullest extent of the law!
    Speaking of ignorance...

You guys takin' your dogs along with ya?

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule View Post
    Speaking of ignorance...
    Yes my humor does go over some peoples heads

I don't know if I'd call em' ignorant

A small group of us (45-50 yr-olds) are wanting to do a SOBO through the GSMNP on the AT in late April, early May. I have not hiked in the Smokies before. We have planned a relatively non aggressive 7-day hike. Physically we have recently hiked Amicalola to Springer (November, 4 days) and Damascus to Dennis Cove Rd (January, 4 days) without much issue, to give you some idea. I hike kinda slow but I get there.

Here is the tentative plan:

1. Tues Apr 28 - Davenport Gap to Cosby Knob Shelter 8M
    2. Wed Apr 29 - Cosby Knob Shelter to Tri-Corner Shelter 8M
    3. Thur Apr 30 - Tri-Corner Shelter to Icewater Spring Shelter 12M
    4. Fri May 1 - Icewater Spring Shelter to Doublespring Gap Shelter 14M
    5. Sat May 2 - Doublespring to Derrick Knob Shelter 7M
    6. Sun May 3 - Derrick Knob shelter to Mollies Ridge Shelter 12M
    7. Mon May 4 - Mollies Ridge to Fontana 11M

Comments about the itinerary, about the shelters listed, or any short side trails, or anything else are appreciated. Would we see many NOBOs during that time? I suspect most would most already be past.
    Not sure why you'd want to hiked against the pack during thru-hiker time but your schedule looks fine. If you're getting a thru-hiker permit and hiking from Hot Springs, you'll be able to tent if the shelters are full. Otherwise you need to book reservations and select each shelter. Since you'll be booking your itinerary I don't believe you'll be able to tent.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++