WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Riga Lean-to

Quote Originally Posted by refreeman View Post
    K-Man your webshots photos of your Appalachian Trail Hike NY/CT Border to Lee, Mass are excellent. Thanks for sharing them.

What camera did you use?
    Thanks!! On that trip I used a Kodak Z650. I usually use a Canon A95, but it recently broke so I borrowed this from my parents. It took a little getting used to, but I was pleased with the results. I didn't like the lens cap which kept falling off in my fanny pack and the auto mode tended to overexpose my pics. For that moon picture I used a mini tri-pod and set the exposure to about 3 seconds.

Images

Default Photos of Riga shelter and view of Twin Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    Anybody have a photo of the shelter to share ?? I remember it from my 2003 thru but can't form a picture in my mind. Good old Mt Everest (Everett) had me huffin and a puffin.

'Slogger
    I stayed here in early Sept. 2006. It's worth planning your mileage to stay here.

Images

The maps are wrong. According to the AT map, Riga lean-to is about 200 feet down from the AT and maybe .3 or .4 off the trail. This is a bold faced lie! The shelter is at the same elevation as the AT and only .1 off the trail. Great sunrise views too.

Images

anyone know what the fastest trail up to this is at or blue blaze and where to park. i just want to go watch the sunrise real fast up there and get away...

It could be reached by going up the Undermountain to Riga Junction and south to Riga Shelter, about ~4 miles. Or you can start at Undermountain Rd. just below Platuea campsites and head north ~3.5. Good parking at either.

Images

Or you can take Lions Head trail from Salisbury and go north about a mile.
    The best shelter in CT for sure, especially with the new privy!
    -milkman

got soul?

Images

I stayed at Riga 10-13-10. Watched the sunrise and dawdled drinking coffee and eating grits for two hours while the valley came awake. Great place to waste time. I was the only person in the area but some creature woke me up twice in the night shaking the bear box.

Stayed overnight here 4/21/12. I will echo what others have said in that it is an amazing place to sleep/wake up to. It rained hard overnight but we stayed dry in the shelter. There is a spring advertised but we found it to be nearly impossible to fill a water bottle with, so instead just got water from the stream and purified it. Bear box and privy are nice - bear box had claw marks on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dthompson451 View Post
    Stayed overnight here 4/21/12. I will echo what others have said in that it is an amazing place to sleep/wake up to. It rained hard overnight but we stayed dry in the shelter. There is a spring advertised but we found it to be nearly impossible to fill a water bottle with, so instead just got water from the stream and purified it. Bear box and privy are nice - bear box had claw marks on it.
    i am skeptical that those are bear claws and not someone funny with a rock..

Images

The Mrs. and I stayed here new years nite. The day was muggy and warm as if was April. Beautiful sunrise, we were not the only folks there.

Yea Lou, my sunrise a few weeks ago. I was the only one there though. Brassie was rockin' when I went by though.
    0426020610.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    Yea Lou, my sunrise a few weeks ago. I was the only one there though. Brassie was rockin' when I went by though.
    0426020610.jpg
    Boy Jake, that must have woke you up! I'm afraid though, I'll have to go on a weekday to be there solo!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc
    Jake:

Did you see the fire-damaged area north of the privy at Riga? Is it recovering well? I toured it and took a lot of pictures last June - it was pretty bad then. I hope the autumn leaves and the green shoots of springtime are working their healing magic.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Didn't notice. but i got there fairly late and wasn't really looking around much in the AM. From other fire areas i've been to it'll be fine. it actually needs it sometimes.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Just spent a night at Riga last week and boy we weren't disappointed. Beautiful sunrise in the valley with a ground fog about halfway up the mountains. Made you feel as though you were up around 10,000 feet but at a much more comfy altitude We had the shelter to ourselves save for one other section hiker and a small handful of guys in the camping area. Only one turned up to watch the sunrise with me. Definitely a shelter not to be missed.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Spent the night there last night, first log book entry in four weeks.

It appears that some Jackwagons did their best to burn down part of the shelter a while back, which was very sad to see. Luckily the fire didn't appear to damage the structural soundness of the shelter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Been there twice. Worth it for all the reasons cited above. And I saw a bear in the middle of a moonlit night trying to figure out how to open the bear box. (She didn't)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Spent the night there last night, first log book entry in four weeks.

It appears that some Jackwagons did their best to burn down part of the shelter a while back, which was very sad to see. Luckily the fire didn't appear to damage the structural soundness of the shelter.
    One of the more visible reasons why CT has an open fire ban along the AT. That the genius who perpetrated this event survived it is a shame.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    One of the more visible reasons why CT has an open fire ban along the AT. That the genius who perpetrated this event survived it is a shame.
    I'm glad they survived. I just wish they'd been caught and made an example of.

I can remember at least three forest fires in that area in the last five years and at least two of them were traced back to campfires.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I'm glad they survived. I just wish they'd been caught and made an example of.

I can remember at least three forest fires in that area in the last five years and at least two of them were traced back to campfires.
    Begrudgingly agreed on surviving <kicking dirt>.

Nasty history of irresponsible open fires up there, a few of them have gotten the owners close to closing the AT.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++