WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default money on the trail

I just saw the thread started by Weasel and Bunny (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46300) about the cost of food for one month on the trail and one response got me thinking about how much money people bring on the trail.

When Jack Tarlin gave his response he summed it up saying, "So I'd plan on spending around seven hundred bucks, tho I'd certainly bring a bit extra." The way that is written you could infer that they should actually carry $700 on the trail.

As a noobie I was planning to do the same thing I do whenever I travel, carry a small amount of cash and plan on using a combo of credit card and ATM cash withdrawls in towns for resupply, gear and any lodging etc. Since the mid nineties this has worked for me wherever I've traveled anywhere around the world.

Do people really carry several hundred bucks in cash? Should I be concerned about not being able to use an ATM or credit card??

There is ALWAYS a way!

Stir Fry

Small amount of cash, and then debit card or credit card will work fine.
    \

Images

I never carry more than 100. Most places take cards. You can buy a postcard stamp (maybe even a 1 cent) at the PO and get cashback so there is essentially a ATM in every town (don't expect to get money until they have done some business and the limit is 50 i think) .

++ New Posts ++