WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default what to take: tarp or tarp tent?

So...i thought my choice of using the tarp tent squall 2 was set in stone for my march 4th NOBO departure off Springer. then i thought about leaving that home and JUST using an integral designs 5x8 siltarp over a tyvek ground sheet with NO bivy. the reason i like the squall 2 is because of bug protection, but this time of year that shouldnt be a problem anyway. tarp+tyvek combo will weigh half what the tent weighs but there are trade offs. the one that comes to mind is water/rain protection. im using a 20* down bag that i wont want to get wet. maybe i could use a trash bag over the lower end of my sleeping bag/pad when its raining hard. the reason i say no bivy is because that would defeat my purpose of less weight and space in my pack. the tarp tent is already small and light. im not very experienced with the tarp+tyvek combo. so what do you think i should take.

I've never used a bivy when I tarp with a 8X10 silnylon setup. A 5X8 seems mighty small to use w/o a bivy. If you use a trash bag over the lower half of your bag, I think you'll soak the sleeping bag w/condensation.

I'd go with the tent. 5X8 tarp isn't very big. Try setting it up and see how high off the ground you need to make it so you can sit up. You'll find the sides don't come very close to the ground. Garbage bag over the foot of your bag will result in a lot of condension. If I were to go with a tarp, I'd get a big one, like 10X10.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

A 10x10 silnylon tarp only goes about 18oz. That's a lot of coverage for not much weight. I have the Etowah model and love it.

When you "March Forth" on March 4, be aware that there can also be snow (quite likely, actually, in the Smokies farther north, even into early May)!
    A tent or tarptent will go a long way in keeping you more comfortable in the event that you may face blowing, drifting snow.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Tarp. I used one from Springer north the whole way starting in January. Just know how to set it up in snow or whatever - walls are over rated
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore Andy View Post
    maybe i could use a trash bag over the lower end of my sleeping bag/pad when its raining hard.
    No. No. Please don't do this. You will end up soaking your bag with condensation from your sweat.

I have successfully used a 5x8 tarp in very bad weather, but it only works well with a bivy. (A light, UL, breathable bivy, not a huge Goretex version.) Otherwise it's just too small to provide complete coverage, especially for a tall hiker.

An 8x0 tarp provides enough coverage that a bivy is optional. As an 8x10 is less than a pound, that would be my recommendation.

Note that by the time you add up the tarp, a ground sheet, stakes, lines, and some sort of bug protection, you're getting awfully close to the weight of a Tarptent. Also, using a tarp successfully requires some practice and some careful site selection. So do some practicing in the next three weeks.

Have a great hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

go with a 10 x 10 silnylon tarp...weight is 15 oz., don't need pegs, learn to set it up correctly and it will protect you clear to ground level....need any other reasons? Try to stand up in your tarp tent!

geek

Default Bigger Tarp

Just to reinforce what the posters above advised:

Get a bigger tarp. 8x10 at minimum. Then add in some bug protection device. Mountain Laurel Designs makes a lightweight bug bivy (but make sure you get one that is long enough for you...mine barely fits me and I am 5' 11" (or 6 foot if the ladies ask...). All sorts of other nets and bivies and such are available too.

On the AT you can usually find a shelter to sleep in anyways (for rain issues). In the summer you'll have squeeters and heat. Tents are great for squeeters; horrible for heat--so I prefer a tarp and netting.

Lastly, consider a Hammock. The AT is a WONDERFUl trail for hammock tenting. But they can be quite chilly until mid-may (I won't get into the warming devices for hammocks due to the extra weight and hassle).

Default Tarp tent

Btw, Tarptents:

Many people love the things, so there must be something good going on there. My experience with a Tarp tent Contrail:

1. Pain in da arse to set up and get taunt (I got the hang of it, but compared to a simple tarp or hammock set up...ugh)

2. Major condensation. Wake up in the AM and if you touch the side walls or roof, you get wet.

3. While lightweight and packable for a full coverage shelther, it was larger than a tarp/bivy and equal to a hammock.

My contrail gets no use now.

However, it was very well designed, manufactured and as I said above, is much loved by experienced backpackers. Just not for me.

OK. new to tarping, AT in Mar, 5 x 8 tarp, down bag, Tyvek groundsheet, no bivy, Unless U get to a shelter in very bad weather(prolonged heavy or driving rain, I would count on it that at some pt. U will experience weather like that at night on the AT) use the tarptent. U can get water resistant bivies/overbags to be used w/ a tarp for as little as 6 oz. Couple a bivy like that w/ a 5 X 8 ish 7 oz tarp. and I would say go w/ the tarp and get yourself some experience w/ tarps.

Dogwood
    Was that a coded message ? Do we attack at dawn ?
    "use the tarptent" "go with the tarp" "get to a shelter in bad weather"
    Franco

Images

I also am leaving on March 4th and will bring a Cloudburst II tarptent. For the additional weight it is more than worth the peace of mind. I have used the tent on the At in GA last year and no problems. To make weight savings I trimmed down my clothing significantly so having a warm and dry space becomes even more important to me.

I have been using a rainbow and love it. I used to use a trap, but I personally like the netting and walls. It works well for me. Good Luck.
    Snappy
    GAME--'09

That would be a tarp not a trap
    Snappy
    GAME--'09

Images

You haven't even got the tarp setup figured out in your head yet so just take the tarptent. I could try carrying around all my stuff in a grocery sack to save weight and someone probably has done it, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Dogwood
    Was that a coded message ? Do we attack at dawn ?
    "use the tarptent" "go with the tarp" "get to a shelter in bad weather"
    Franco

LOL. 10-4. I was writing as my brain was spinning the wheels. Just a way of my brain prioritizing the most critcal pts. and then coming to an opinion/solution.

-

just preparing for the rangers near springer

Montana AT05
    I have seen similar comments about the Contrail set-up (maybe yours in other forums too) , however as you are provably aware several owners do it regularly in 2 to 3 minutes in real life situations (IE tired,with wind and or rain), and of course I can do it in less than a minute in my backyard.
    But there is no way that I can set up a tarp in less than 3 minutes consistently, but possibly others can and do.
    BTW, in my experience , when I wake up with wet walls inside the Contrail my mate has wet walls (sometime dripping on him) under his tarp.
    Over the years I have formed the opinion that people get what they want out of their equipment. Not just with tents.
    It always amused me how I could have a customer raving about the quality of a camera only to have the next one wanting to return the same model because it was a piece of rubbish...
    Franco
    BTW, having timed some of the "it only takes me a couple of minutes to set up my tarp" doing it in the bush, I have to say that those two minutes consist of a lot more seconds than mine. Not that I am suggesting that it really makes any difference. It's all about perception.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    BTW, having timed some of the "it only takes me a couple of minutes to set up my tarp" doing it in the bush, I have to say that those two minutes consist of a lot more seconds than mine.
    I heard someone say he sets up his tarp in the rain in 60 seconds. Right--six anchors in adverse conditions in 10 seconds each?

Back on topic: I used a tarp a few times many years ago. Then Henry Shires started making his fine tarptents and I love them. I understand the attraction of tarps, though.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++