WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Montbell # 2 UL SS

Anyone out there care to give me your thoughts and concerns on the above listed item?

My wife and I are looking to buy some new down bags and cannot dish out the 400-500 dollars for WM or FF..

Thanks everyone.

Images

Got one - 2 years now. Love it. A little cold sometimes near the limit, but love the stretch comfort.
    check backcountrygear.com - They have some awesome deals there right now.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

The #2 is the 25 degree, right? Nice bag, but I think it's about the same price as a comparable Western Mountaineering, no?

Montbell #2 UL SS, $325
    WM Megalite, $335

Both are top quality down bags that will last for years. The MB is rated to 25-F, the WM to 30-F. The WM is wide-cut, the MB is stretchy. Either is a great choice.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Big,

Yeah If we were going to go with the WM.. We really wanted the Alpinelite. We are hoping to be thru hiking in 2012 and thought that it being a 20 would be great. The MB is kinda a fall back.. Just wondering about the temp rating and the quality.

Thanks

I have one of those, the 800 fill down and have slept in it down to 28 F with just t-short, undies and no socks. Feet were a little chilly but not enough to force me to get up and do anything about it. My upper body was actually a bit hot so overall quite happy with the temp rating. I love the strechy sides and not being constrained when I sleep on my side.

I bought mine through these guys and I see they have a sale on at the moment for $267. Thats a VERY good price
    http://www.plateauoutdoors.com/montb...r-8002254.html

or you can get the 650 fill (a little bigger and heavier) for $213 http://www.plateauoutdoors.com/montb...-26502254.html

Images

I have a ULSS #1 and it is great. The stretch as well as making it comfy makes it warm up very fast. The fact that MB bags will actually go on sale is nice too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pak-Man View Post

Yeah If we were going to go with the WM.. We really wanted the Alpinelite. We are hoping to be thru hiking in 2012 and thought that it being a 20 would be great. The MB is kinda a fall back.. Just wondering about the temp rating and the quality.
    Pak-man,

The Montbell quality is outstanding. My lovely wife has two -- a #3 and a #0 (30-F and 0-F.) She loves them. Nothing "fall back" about these bags, and as noted above, you can actually get them on sale once in a while. (Though to be fair, I got my WM Antelope for 40% off at my local outfitter. Lucky, I know.)

As far as using any 20-F bag for a thru, my personal feeling is that it's not quite warm enough for the cold parts, and too warm for the warm parts. If you know what I mean. But I saved my pennies for a long time to have two high quality bags, and be able to switch them out.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...ail.cfm/MTB452
    Down hugger #2 Super Stretch $184 right now.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    The #2 is the 25 degree, right? Nice bag, but I think it's about the same price as a comparable Western Mountaineering, no?

Montbell #2 UL SS, $325
    WM Megalite, $335

Both are top quality down bags that will last for years. The MB is rated to 25-F, the WM to 30-F. The WM is wide-cut, the MB is stretchy. Either is a great choice.
    Just dont understand people some time.Spend top dollar on a 2 rate bag,due to fill,temp rate.Never from a W.M. BAG,but instead of order wide, they buy a ss bag?Glad i'm dad to flip the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    Just dont understand people some time.Spend top dollar on a 2 rate bag,due to fill,temp rate.Never from a W.M. BAG,but instead of order wide, they buy a ss bag?Glad i'm dad to flip the bill.
    Huh? Not sure what you are saying.

Also will that ss system last like a WM has shown for 25 yr?

Quote Originally Posted by mudcap View Post
    Huh? Not sure what you are saying.
    Sorry, glad not the dad.WM has a name for a reason.

Images

Sorry, glad not the dad.WM has a name for a reason.

Maybe I am confused also about what you are saying...My wife and I fit the bill.

I was asking the questions about this because in todays society and especially in my personal life, times are tight. I have found a deal on the Montbell Super Stretch Ultralite # 2 in Long and Reg. This works well because both me and my wife sleep on our sides. The other option was a WM Alpinelite, because it is a wider bag and obviously light. Now we are talking about a difference of around $850, verses the two #2's I can get for around 500 for both shipped.

I apreciate the input from everyone...

Would the 15 degree #1 be more suited for the begining of a thru hike?

thank you all for your help.

DBD

WM has a name for a reason.
    You're point? Montbell also has a name.

Pak-Man

If you're buying two bags from the same maker, try to get right and left zippers. You should be able to zip them together if you want.

I have a #1 which is great for early season, but overkill for most of the trail. If I were to do it again I'd probably go with a #2.

I have a UL SS #2. I love it. I've had it quite a bit lower than it's rating, and I've been warm. I AM a warm sleeper tho. After using a SS bag for a while now, when I zip into a regular mummy bag now, I damn near freak out.

http://www.rei.com/product/762604

Already made a thread about this, but it seems appropriate for your situation. At the very least it will save you enough money to significantly offset the cost of your wifes bag.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by Pak-Man View Post
    Maybe I am confused also about what you are saying...My wife and I fit the bill.

I was asking the questions about this because in todays society and especially in my personal life, times are tight. I have found a deal on the Montbell Super Stretch Ultralite # 2 in Long and Reg. This works well because both me and my wife sleep on our sides. The other option was a WM Alpinelite, because it is a wider bag and obviously light. Now we are talking about a difference of around $850, verses the two #2's I can get for around 500 for both shipped.

I apreciate the input from everyone...

Would the 15 degree #1 be more suited for the begining of a thru hike?

thank you all for your help.

DBD
    Back in 78 he did buy me a peak 1,but that is it.I like top gear and will pay for it,no problem.Money well spent will pay in the long run.You may eat 350$ up front ...but you have 2 bags for a good 25yr's.MB has not shown yet that they can last like a WM,FF so why take the chance?Think of 350 over 25yrs for both to be happy.

Images

Back in 78 he did buy me a peak 1,but that is it.I like top gear and will pay for it,no problem.Money well spent will pay in the long run.You may eat 350$ up front ...but you have 2 bags for a good 25yr's.MB has not shown yet that they can last like a WM,FF so why take the chance?Think of 350 over 25yrs for both to be happy.
    WM and MB have both been in business for more than 30 years
    Do you have a 25 year old MB and a 25 year old WM that you are comparing?

Quote Originally Posted by KG4FAM View Post
    WM and MB have both been in business for more than 30 years
    Do you have a 25 year old MB and a 25 year old WM that you are comparing?
    Do you have a SS system that has lasted even 15yrs...NO.

Have you ever heard of underfill on a WM BAG...NO.MB YES.

I seen first hand,a 2 rate for a 1 rate price.

You get what you pay for in a WM,FF, BAG.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++