WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Yep, not much here.
    no laundry, no outfitter, no cheap hostel or motel for starters

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    no laundry, no outfitter, no cheap hostel or motel for starters
    Yes but beautiful college women abound. That was a nice change for a 19 yr old emerging from 4 months in the woods.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Yes but beautiful college women abound. That was a nice change for a 19 yr old emerging from 4 months in the woods.
    ya got a point there

Dunno why the lack of a hostel is a problem since Wolf has repeatedly told us they all suck and that he doesn't stay in them......and there are actually several outdoor stores in town that have everything you need.

Truly, it's been awhile. Wolf needs to drop by more than once or twice every decade.

Dunno why the lack of a hostel is a problem since Wolf has repeatedly told us they all suck and that he doesn't stay in them......and there are actually several outdoor stores in town that have everything you need.

Truly, it's been awhile. Wolf needs to drop by more than once or twice every decade.
    i was thinkin' of other hikers. hanover is too expensive and doesn't offer much

Quote Originally Posted by rcli4 View Post
    Their conversation, when it involves their status as a couple, will probably be brief and matter-of-fact. They will probably be good ambassadors for both AT hikers and gay couples. And their conversations will probably be centered on things like weather, food, and spectacular viewpoints.
    Skyline you missed my point and then repeated it. YOU are stereo-typing Gays and Christian in this post. The only thing you know about these folks are that they are gay, yet you make the assumption above. You are as bad or worse then the idiots from the other side. How do you know folks are born gay? Don't come on here posting stereo-typing gays and christians. You should know better. Folks postin, Come stay with me, be my friend and such dribble. Just because they are gay, they are all right. They are people-hikers no more no less. Treating folks different because they are gay is wrong, it dosen't matter if you are nicer or meaner, if you do it just because they are gay, you are a bigot.

Clyde[/quote]
    Don't really see what you are upset about. Someone inviting hikers to dinner? Don't really see the problem there. I would call it hospitality not dribble. I'd have to ask Skyline but I suspect he has broken bread with both straight and gay people. As for the "born gay" bit, just like hair color, eye color, height, susceptibility to certain diseases etc... scientists have found a gene that predisposes people to certain lifestyle choices. Yes there is a gay gene. This may be how Skyline knows people are born gay.

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug View Post

I anticipate it to be a non-issue on trail.
    it never has been an issue. much ado over nothing

There's no cheap place to stay, but then, that's true of any number of places......Kent, Salisbury, Manchester Center, Bennington, etc. For lodging, most folks either share a motel room (usually the Sunset), or there's great free tenting at the edge of town.

Laundry is also a problem, tho both the Sunset and the Chieftain motels have laundry services. Lately, hikers have been sharing a cab for a few dollars and going to the spotless facility just out of town.

But other than no hostel and no laundromat, I'd have to say this is a pretty great hiker town.

In no particular order:

*Lots of very hiker-friendly restaurants, including places that welcome folks
    just off the Trail
    *Several AYCE Buffets
    *The best movie theater on the Trail
    *Several great bookstores
    *The best coffee shop on or near the Trail
    *Several good outdoor stores, and free bus service to bigger ones in the
    next town
    *Free bus service to enormous nearby shopping malls
    *Several pharmacies
    *A great veterinarian
    *All sorts of banks
    *The Trail's friendliest Public Library
    *The best beer and tobacco selection on the whole Trail
    *Three good pizzerias, including a place that gives free slices to hikers!
    *An art Museum (also free).
    *Friendly locals, including some who offer hospitality to hikers
    *Oh, did I mention all the sidewalk cafes where one can enjoy the local,
    shall one say, scenery?

Honestly, all things considered, I think Hanover is a great Trail town.

But then, I guess I'm sorta biased. I hiked in one afternoon, and never left.

There's no cheap place to stay, but then, that's true of any number of places......Kent, Salisbury, Manchester Center, Bennington, etc. For lodging, most folks either share a motel room (usually the Sunset), or there's great free tenting at the edge of town.

Laundry is also a problem, tho both the Sunset and the Chieftain motels have laundry services. Lately, hikers have been sharing a cab for a few dollars and going to the spotless facility just out of town.

But other than no hostel and no laundromat, I'd have to say this is a pretty great hiker town.

In no particular order:

*Lots of very hiker-friendly restaurants, including places that welcome folks
    just off the Trail
    *Several AYCE Buffets
    *The best movie theater on the Trail
    *Several great bookstores
    *The best coffee shop on or near the Trail
    *Several good outdoor stores, and free bus service to bigger ones in the
    next town
    *Free bus service to enormous nearby shopping malls
    *Several pharmacies
    *A great veterinarian
    *All sorts of banks
    *The Trail's friendliest Public Library
    *The best beer and tobacco selection on the whole Trail
    *Three good pizzerias, including a place that gives free slices to hikers!
    *An art Museum (also free).
    *Friendly locals, including some who offer hospitality to hikers
    *Oh, did I mention all the sidewalk cafes where one can enjoy the local,
    shall one say, scenery?

But then, I guess I'm sorta biased. I hiked in one afternoon, and never left.
    this is the gay thread. get back on topic. go start another thread about your beloved hanover

at least go back to the Laurel fork thread

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    at least go back to the Laurel fork thread
    it's been decided that Braemer Castle is the better place to stay.
    back to gay

But to stay on topic...is Hanover gay friendly?

I keep thinking of "Stripes" when they are enlisting and the recruiter asks, "Are either of you homosexual?"........."you mean flaming?"......."no, but were willing to learn"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    But to stay on topic...is Hanover gay friendly?
    http://www.dartmouth.edu/~gsa/ Meetings Wednesdays at 9:00

http://newhampshiregaysingles.com/
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Jack,

Inviting hikers to stay at your place is a great thing. If you twist hard enough you can make this about anything you want. The "Dribble" was folks inviting someone to their place because they are gay. That is all the info you had when you invited them. Maybe that is all you need to know. That is your business. If so, I was outta line sorry, if not "Dribble" is a nice way to put it.

Clyde

and I thought it was because they were hiking.

El Sordo
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it's been decided that Braemer Castle is the better place to stay.
    back to gay
    True? Do they shuttle?
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    True? Do they shuttle?
    I am not on the cutting edge so this may be a dumb question. What is "shuttle" gay slang for?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rcli4 View Post
    Jack,

Inviting hikers to stay at your place is a great thing. If you twist hard enough you can make this about anything you want. The "Dribble" was folks inviting someone to their place because they are gay. That is all the info you had when you invited them. Maybe that is all you need to know. That is your business. If so, I was outta line sorry, if not "Dribble" is a nice way to put it.

Clyde
    Hey Clyde,
    In all fairness to Jack, I have on numerous occasions seen Jack offer his place to a hiker when they're in Hanover. If I've read a post that someone was going to be in Hanover, I've read Jack offering his place, or a shuttle, or something.

Same goes for Lone Wolf, TOW, and a few others on here who are constantly helping out hikers.

To the OP, you're seeing more drama in this thread then you'll ever see on the trail. Tell your friends I say 'Happy Hiking'.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KG4FAM View Post
    I am not on the cutting edge so this may be a dumb question. What is "shuttle" gay slang for?
    I think he was asking if Braemer Castle has shuttle service?? I could be wrong but that's not any slang I know of.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++