WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Tolerance of gay hikers (ie homophobia and trail safety question)

I have two dear friends that are considering a 2010 thru hike. Both men are my age (37) and met just after college and have been together over 15 years. They are both open and honest about being gay, but are not, in their own words, "flaming queens". And I should add that neither of them are big fans of PDA's. But they don't hide being gay either.

Their biggest trail concern is personal safety as it relates to homophobia and I told them I would ask here how readily accepted gay hikers are on the AT (meaning both by other hikers as well as the towns they pass through).

So do gay hikers have issues with intolerance? Or are they left alone?

Thoughts? Suggestions for them? Particular towns/places to avoid? (PM's welcome if someone is uncomfortable posting in the open forum)

And this is an honest safety question, please be respectful.
    ~CJ aka WritinginCT

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot

Images

In my experience most people will care less at all. That is on the actual trail. There might be the one or two guys out there that will have issues - but even then, they will keep it to themselves.

But...

Here on the Internet you will get told about this guy or that guy who is a total homophobe or something to that effect. The general issue has to do with how the Internet works and people's perception of other people gets warped by it.

So, in summary, they shouldn't have any issues. But some folks on the Internet might make them think it will be this huge issue.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Great post Rock. I agree 100%. No more issues on the trail than REAL life.

Gettin Lighter..All the Time!!! Biloxi's Avatar

Default go hike

CJ,I would say tell them to go hike..yea they may come across some azzholes they are everywhere..even on the trail..but assuming they are not making out in the shelters..proubly no one would even know,just another 2 dudes hiking. but I would say it's safe..if they have been together that long, then they know how to handle such cases..but yea tell them to go hike..because who cares! I have 2 gay friends that can out hike about anyone I know..and if anyone gives them problems..they just kick the s*** out of em..lol

So long as they do not insist on wearing speedos for hiking shorts. I only say this because our Cub Scout group had to deal with a couple like that on one hike on the Pinnacle Mountain end of the Ouchita Trail. It makes for some real interesting, and in my view, unnecessary "public" explanations to young children on the trail about subjects best discussed elsewhere. Open displays of amorousness are inappropriate on the trail even among hetero couples, as is overly revealing attire. So long as reasonable rules of decency are followed, by either mixture of couples, I would see no problems. But if they are the type that think that bad behavior by hetero couples in some way excuses bad behavior on their part, then they might run into some homophobic issues. Otherwise, I wouldn't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibe View Post
    So long as they do not insist on wearing speedos for hiking shorts. I only say this because our Cub Scout group had to deal with a couple like that on one hike on the Pinnacle Mountain end of the Ouchita Trail. It makes for some real interesting, and in my view, unnecessary "public" explanations to young children on the trail about subjects best discussed elsewhere. Open displays of amorousness are inappropriate on the trail even among hetero couples, as is overly revealing attire. So long as reasonable rules of decency are followed, by either mixture of couples, I would see no problems. But if they are the type that think that bad behavior by hetero couples in some way excuses bad behavior on their part, then they might run into some homophobic issues. Otherwise, I wouldn't think so.
    No PDA? Proper attire? Are we talking about a Catholic school or the AT? If a couple wants to kiss let em kiss(straight or gay). If someone wants to wear a speedo let them. Is it illegal to have PDA's? Is it illegal to wear a speedo?It's one thing to be overly offensive, it's another to be too easily offended.

i don't even know where to start with this one

i'm hiking naked and making out with my boyfriend whenever and wherever i can this year.

I can think of at least 3 openly gay thru-hikers when I hiked the trail in 2006. It definitely wasn't a big deal... In general, hikers tend to lookout for each other, gay or straight.
    My Web Site: Parkaymaps

Quote Originally Posted by kythruhiker View Post
    I'm not gay, and I wear Speedos, which should really frighten and offend you. Unless they've changed in recent years, the Cub Scouts are an openly homophobic organization, which offends me far far far more than any open PDA by homosexuals ever could.
    agreed. i hiked with a bunch of young hetero guys this summer and was glad as hell when they had speedos mailed to them from home.

Quote Originally Posted by WritinginCT View Post
    I have two dear friends that are considering a 2010 thru hike. Both men are my age (37) and met just after college and have been together over 15 years. They are both open and honest about being gay, but are not, in their own words, "flaming queens". And I should add that neither of them are big fans of PDA's. But they don't hide being gay either.

Their biggest trail concern is personal safety as it relates to homophobia and I told them I would ask here how readily accepted gay hikers are on the AT (meaning both by other hikers as well as the towns they pass through).

Thoughts? Suggestions for them? Particular towns/places to avoid? (PM's welcome if someone is uncomfortable posting in the open forum)

it ain't an issue on the trail or in towns

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it ain't an issue on the trail or in towns
    lucky for you

Politics, the economy, pros/cons of not eating meat(no pun intended), UL whores, what shoes should I wear for an AT thru-hike, gays on the AT, etc.- Wow. Welcome into the world in which we hike!

I suspect your friends R going to find the AT is not any different than most other places in the US. It's not Christopher St. in the Village or Barney Frank's bedroom, but it's not Jerry Falwell's Old Time Gospel Hour either. It's probably somewhere in the middle. Some people have more tolerance than others. Some R willing to accept the homosexual lifestyle without questioning it or having reservations. Others see it as a form of deviant behavior that goes against the laws of nature.

There is no way, one person can speak for everyone's acceptance or tolerance of two openly gay men on the AT. I wouldn't classify the AT gay friendly or homophobic. And, please understand, before U get a lot of posts about gays and the homosexual lifestyle, that I'm not trying to make a judgement of homosexuality here. I'm merely trying to relate what I think your friends will experience on the AT. I will say, that I'm fairly confident that I've met several gay male and female couples on the AT in 06. None of the couples I met were openly affectionate or forward about their lifestyles though. I think one of the female couples did hear some vocalized opinions from some section hikers so the couple decided to always camp away from shelters where the section hikers tended to congregate. I didn't sense any of the gay couples were having personal safety issues. But, U never know who U might run into. All of what I just said applies to the same vibe I got on the PCT in 08. I will tell your friends, if they want to hike the AT go do it!

Quote Originally Posted by vonfrick View Post
    lucky for you
    huh?

Quote Originally Posted by vonfrick View Post
    lucky for you

There is a slight, repeat slight chance they might encounter a problem in town, but I doubt it. And as for on the Trail itself, I don't think the Trail community occupies the "middle" of the road. On the contrary, most folks out there are young, many are just out of college, and the majority are quite liberal in their politics and thinking. So I don't think your friends will have any problems at all. Will they run into the occasional idiot? Yes, of course they will. Just as they do at home. But in truth, I don't think anyone will really care, which is just as it ought to be.

Another thing to remember is that there are any number of facilities, including motels and hiker hostels, that are actually run by gay folks, so they actually might end up finding the Trail a whole lot more gay-friendly than they thought possible.

God forbid! I hope none of those poor traumatized children ever go to the beach. Thongs, speedos, string bikinis....Maybe we should just go back to the puritan days where, if a woman showed her calves she was labeled a whore, and there was no such thing as homosexual.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WritinginCT View Post

Your friends will be welcomed in my home. Let them know when they hike thru Damascus to stop by and see me, I have a phone on the front porch with unlimited long distance and if I am alerted ahead of their arrival I will feed them also.

public display of affection

If I'm home in mid-August, they're welcome here. too.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++