WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Good thread and I agree with Ramble~On. I think most of us have both experienced and harbored prejudice of some type through our up-bringing, social environment, and interaction with others. Once stereotypes of any kind are established within us they're extremely difficult to overcome. I believe no one escapes this fundamental truth as we are all less than perfect. Admittedly, I continue to work on this as I've realized it's hard enough to keep track of my own business, let alone that of anyone else. I do believe the key is to assume the personal responsibility to accept others openly without hatred, fear, and prejudice if we are to find true contentment within. It is also our responsibility to be mindful of others and to not be “in your face” while expressing our views to provide a reason for them to disrespect us, as we generally get what we give. In the bigger picture it's not what others do or who they are, but more importantly, it's how we react and interact personally. Hiking the trail is an activity that should be rewarded with contentment and it would be a shame to ruin the experience with negativity of any kind. In my experience most people on the trail see others as hikers and nothing else with a common respect for all. As long as we respect others it will generally be returned. I'd say tell them to hike giving others the same respect they seek and all will be fine. Hope they enjoy the hike!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Gettin Lighter..All the Time!!! Biloxi's Avatar

Default gay hikers and rainbows?

thought I would chime in 1 more time here, as I said earlier I don't care who or what you are, just do your thing and I will do mine. respect me ,I will respect you.I love God, but that's between me and him.. as is should be..if you don't believe,that's your business NOT mine or ANYONE else's..me and my wife have dear,dear friends that are gay,I have worked with many gay people through the years, did it effect their performance in the least NO!!! so on a hike what would it matter and really outside of just blatently flaunting your sexuality, who would know?which brings me to my next point,the rainbow...funny story: years ago I worked the grave shift 11-7am and being daylight when I went to bed,I had trouble getting to sleep cause the room was to bright..our curtains were a light color and didn't darken the room enough, so I look around for something to put over the window.my grandmother had sent us a beautiful rainbow tapestry from her vacation in hawaii .dark blue on 1 side and rainbow on the other.hung it up dark side in/rainbow out..worked like a charm..weeks later, a friend comes by to visit and ask about it,then tell's me it means I"m gay..lol..really? I just thought it looked cool from the street so to each his/her own.DO YOU..BE YOU...but do it with respect.go hike have fun

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

A good friend of mine is openly gay and has thru-hiked quite a bit. Him being gay is like saying my favorite color is green. He does not define himself by being gay any more than I define myself by being straight. It is just another fact about him that really does not change how I view him as a person.

We hike, ski and hang out together (along with our other friends) and generally enjoy each others company.

On the trail, I suspect the reaction will be similar. Just another set of smelly, dirty and happy hiker trash.

As others said, if I see them on the trail, I'll just wish them a good hike.

Cheers!

Re: Rainbow Tapestry

For many years, my Mom had a keychain with her name on it. There was a rainbow over it. About 15 yrs ago, I remember her telling me that some woman was hitting on her! I had to explain to my very blue-collar Catholic Mom what the rainbow meant and why a woman was hitting on her. Awkward for me...
    My Mom, needless to say, had an ah..interesting reaction. She has not used the rainbow key chain since.
    Last edited by Mags; 02-09-2009 at 14:32.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I have no problems with gays, but I'm not too happy they appeared to have taken over the rainbow. How's that start?

Images

If only the world was like the trail- where everyone equal-smelly and happy to share
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I have no problems with gays, but I'm not too happy they appeared to have taken over the rainbow. How's that start?
    Judy Garland.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Isn't there another "rainbow" group? A bunch of rich kids spending their parents money, Growing dreads, not bathing, hitting the bong and playing the bongos rainbow group?

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    Isn't there another "rainbow" group? A bunch of rich kids spending their parents money, Growing dreads, not bathing, hitting the bong and playing the bongos rainbow group?
    I've heard, never been, sounds like fun.

What happens when you forget the words to "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"....

Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue,

Birds fly over the rainbow, why then, o why don't you. .........
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

a/k/a Hiker Trash.

Images

Yes, that is the Rainbow Family of Living Light. Basically hippies that live on the road. and meet up around the country to live in the woods for a while. They usually panhandle and dumpster dive in nearby towns and attract negative attention.

Trustafarians

GA-ME-04
    Images

"trustafarians"

lmao!!
    Thats priceless...and also the truth.

Their conversation, when it involves their status as a couple, will probably be brief and matter-of-fact. They will probably be good ambassadors for both AT hikers and gay couples. And their conversations will probably be centered on things like weather, food, and spectacular viewpoints.[/QUOTE]

Skyline you missed my point and then repeated it. YOU are stereo-typing Gays and Christian in this post. The only thing you know about these folks are that they are gay, yet you make the assumption above. You are as bad or worse then the idiots from the other side. How do you know folks are born gay? Don't come on here posting stereo-typing gays and christians. You should know better. Folks postin, Come stay with me, be my friend and such dribble. Just because they are gay, they are all right. They are people-hikers no more no less. Treating folks different because they are gay is wrong, it dosen't matter if you are nicer or meaner, if you do it just because they are gay, you are a bigot.

Clyde

Images

I guess I'll never understand why people get so worked up over who someone else chooses to spend their life with. If the original poster's friends like to walk for months at a time, swat at a sometimes-endless barrage of bugs, sweat, stink like roadkill, carry a pack, eat, sleep, and go to the bathroom in the woods, then I say "Welcome!"
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Images

Actually it started out and still is to many an Earth Friendly, ECO family that has evolved into a big party. The roots are still there but in too many cases there's a crowd of younger folks who are simply there for the party side of it...live off the soup kitchens rather than supporting them and bring the sterotype.

- Your description reminds me of a large population of Asheville, NC though most work instead of the mommy/daddy thing.

A rainbow patch, sticker or anything else doesn't mean "Gay Pride" or "I'm Gay" it's just a rainbow...A symbol for gays is two joined male or female symbols, or the lambda . - A rainbow flag....might be a gay thing yeah but not just a rainbow.

http://www.lambda.org/symbols.htm I'm not sure who decided that the rainbow was a gay symbol...but I didn't vote for it. It might be a "secret code" symbol but if you want a symbol to stand behind and profess your sexual orientation to all the world and /or advertise...how about a symbol that avoids all confusion.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

I doubt that this is likely to be an issue. I have a fairly "out-there" friend who slack packed with a number of likeminded chums back in 2006, completed the trail and had few issues. There was one problem of an older hiker attempting to hit on them, but really little different from unwanted attention other hikers have experienced and managed.

I anticipate it to be a non-issue on trail.

Geez, rcli4.

Over the years, I've put up hundreds of hikers. Old, young, black, white, Northbound, Southbound, you name it.

And I've never inquired about one's religion or sex life either, as neither topic is any of my damned business.

But if I can, and I'm around, I like to help folks out in a small way.

What a shame you find this attitude to be "dribble".

Tell ya what.

Next time you find yourself hiking thru Hanover, stay at the Inn. True, rooms start at around $250.00, but I think you'll be happier there.

God forbid you stay with dribblers or other objectionable sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Geez, rcli4.

Next time you find yourself hiking thru Hanover, stay at the Inn. True, rooms start at around $250.00, but I think you'll be happier there.
    or keep on goin'. not much of a trail town

Yep, not much here.

Please tell us how many times you've actually BEEN here in recent years, Wolf.

Maybe if it was more than once or twice, you might have a different opinion.

But I doubt it......

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++