WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: ...and its done

Images

I just got back from DEals Gap looking for Mags. Went to the lodge, 20 mile, Topoco, and even went by Fontanna just in case. No sign of him. Be on the look out.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

At about 12n today, Sgt Rock and I met up just past of Deal's Gap.

I did not get the last e-mail (doh!), but it all worked out. The store is not quite open at Deal's Gap, so no phone. I was going to march up to the ranger station, but that is when Rock saw me on his way up there. I saw some trail wokers who knew Mowgli. They contacted him; Mowlgi contacted Rock. Funny how things work!

All I can say, is not only thanks for the dilligence, but many thanks to him and Dixie for the wonderful hospitality shown during my stay here.

I am ready for my the last push (including borrowing a field jacket liner as it has been darn cold at night up at 4000' plus elevation!) and should be done by Friday. I am taking it easy through the Smokies for the most part.
    (A friend does not expect me in Blacksburg until Sat or Sunday)

Anyway, I am in love with this trail. A wilderness experience in the southern Apps! You look into the valleys..and see NOTHING but woods. No hikers other than little old me. I've seen white tail deer, wild boars and even a black bear. Primitive camping in all but three places (one of which is .2 from the start of the AT).

Great trail. If you want to explore the southern Apps a bit off the beaten AT path..do the BMT.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Rock and Mags just left heading back out to put Mags back on the trail this morning. It was wonderful finally meeting Mags in person! He really does seem to be having a blast on this hike, which is awesome!

Images

Curtis and Rockhound - he is on his way.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

roger that.

Images

Part of the hike I did this weekend was BMT (Smokemont to campsite #44). Snow on the ground most of the way. No human footprints besides our own. A great hike! I bet Mags is having a blast.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    At about 12n today, Sgt Rock and I met up just past of Deal's Gap.

I did not get the last e-mail (doh!), but it all worked out. The store is not quite open at Deal's Gap, so no phone. I was going to march up to the ranger station, but that is when Rock saw me on his way up there. I saw some trail wokers who knew Mowgli. They contacted him; Mowlgi contacted Rock. Funny how things work!

All I can say, is not only thanks for the dilligence, but many thanks to him and Dixie for the wonderful hospitality shown during my stay here.

I am ready for my the last push (including borrowing a field jacket liner as it has been darn cold at night up at 4000' plus elevation!) and should be done by Friday. I am taking it easy through the Smokies for the most part.
    (A friend does not expect me in Blacksburg until Sat or Sunday)

Anyway, I am in love with this trail. A wilderness experience in the southern Apps! You look into the valleys..and see NOTHING but woods. No hikers other than little old me. I've seen white tail deer, wild boars and even a black bear. Primitive camping in all but three places (one of which is .2 from the start of the AT).

Great trail. If you want to explore the southern Apps a bit off the beaten AT path..do the BMT.
    its easy to get lost in the southern appalachians...just got to know where to go ...sounds like youre having a blast...
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

..and now I'm really done.

Tagged my truck at about 11am this morning ending my trip on the BMT. A cold, rainy last day. Now, I am sucking down coffee and eating pizza. Life ain't bad. Tomorrow I see my friends up in Blacksburg..and their beautiful new baby girl!

As I said, a wonderful trail. A bit of a PCT-like experience in the southern Apps (trail is not overly marked, need some basic navigation skills, few (3!) shelters). Do the trail if you can. Ideally, Fall (colors) or Spring (flowers) would be best..but I am not going to quibble with the gift of time I received.

The "official" ending is a road walk to Davenport Gap. I made the end of the Smokies my official ending and used the Waterville Road (one road walk is good as any..eh?), hooked up to the AT at the Pigeon Forge bridge and well, here I am.

My finish photo:

ROCK: Thanks for bringing the rain pants by. Yep, forgot them in the laundry room. Doh! Lemme know if you want me to keep the liner here or mail it back to you
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries
    Images

So no snow in the Smokies this weekend?

Have a great hike Mags thats a nice section you chose
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    ROCK: Thanks for bringing the rain pants by. Yep, forgot them in the laundry room. Doh! Lemme know if you want me to keep the liner here or mail it back to you
    Mail it back. When I realized what those pants were I realized you probably could have used them on this hike.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Well done Mags! Any wildlife sightings in the Smokies?
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Congrats Mags! You may have inspired me to spend my spring break in April on the BMT
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Rock: Will do! Thanks again for the liner loan. It was chilly in them thar hills. The rain pants, esp on my last day was more of an inconvenience than a deal breaker! Now I am wearing dry cotton...ah....

Mowgli: I saw some wild turkeys!

A-train: I think you'll enjoy the trail. Other than the Smokies and near the rafting centers, I can't picture there being many people out there (even in Spring). You'll love it!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Congratulations on your hike. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Good luck on the job search now. Keep us posted.

Default Photos Posted

I posted the photos with the captions:
    http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...9364&g2_page=1

..and this not related to the Benton MacKaye Trail per se, but it is part of my trail experience. I am happy for my friends and make a good surrogate uncle. Skip if you don't want to read anything non-trail related.

Anyway, the day I finished the BMT, I shaved my beard (and head!), and drove up the following day to Blacksburg to see two close friends. I held the chuppah at their wedding, spent more off-trail miles with Nahum (along with our friend Dave) than probably anyone else, etc. They were due to have their first child while I was on the trail. Their daughter was born the day BEFORE I finished! Long story short, they still wanted to see me. So, I was able to see their daughter at 1.5 days old. For a single guy like me..that is almost too scary.

Here's the photo that will probably make Momma "I want grandchildren" Mags way too excited.

My friends continue to have beautiful children. I continue to enjoy playing the role of honorary uncle. Less expensive and more fun.

As for a job. We'll see. I am scheduled for a consultation in Denver next week. I may be working for my old company in a different area. If I don't find a job by say..May..the Canadian Great Divide Trail is looking good.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

A true adventurer you are Mags. Great trip it sounds like, and stick to being the honorary uncle. That's what I am, and believe me your right when you say it's cheaper Two days of having a kid costs as much as a few weeks on the trail (Amortized over time to include age, stupidity, and gray or bald spots caused)

Guess that last one isn't a problem for us. Nature has taken it's course.

Hey Mags, about .1 or .2 from where the BMT starts in GA there is a plaque on a rock dedicated to the trail's namesake. Did you walk past it and not see it? I don't see an image of it in your gallery.

Last edited by MOWGLI; 03-04-2009 at 09:20.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Sign was missing when I hiked through last year. Mags said it is still gone.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++