WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default Kay Wood Lean-to

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Kay Wood Lean-to

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Images

Another nice Mass. shelter with 4 bunks and a loft. Water is directly in front of the shelter down a steep hill. On the night of Sept 12, 2001, a friend and I shared the shelter with 2 sobo section hikers headed for New York and carrying over 2 weeks worth of food and a sobo thru-hiker named Nate. The next morning Nate demonstrated his breakfast technique of eating instant oatmeal dry and got completely choked on it (he eventually coughed it up).

Smile

DebW is right abouth this shelter.
    However there needs to be mention that there is also many nice spots to set up your tent/tarp so for people like me who like to hit the shelter area but not stay in them Kay Wood is a good place for tenting.Be careful going down the steap hill for water.Also down by the water site are good places for tenting.
    EZ-DOES-IT
    It's mind over matter
    If you don't mind it doesn't matter

Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

Stayed in the shelter on July 5 with five others in the shelter and three tenting outside it. It's in great shape -- though a little buggy at this time of year. The ridgerunner cut through the brush blocking the path to water while we were there this weekend, which helped out a bit. Watch out for the slippery rocks -- a section hiker took a nasty looking fall on his way down the ravine to collect water.

-- Ivy

Images

Be careful - five steps at night without a light and you are over the cliff. Kay Wood Lean-to is tipical of all the Mass. shelters, they are very nice, and well maintained. Thanks AMC.
    Rigormortis

Originally posted by B Thrash
    Thanks AMC.
    Wow. I thinks that's a first for an AT site!
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Question what is Lean to?

Sorry, pardon me for my igrogants... what is lean to?

Flash Hand

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Hand
    Sorry, pardon me for my igrogants... what is lean to?
    lean-to: A rough shed or shelter having a lean-to roof. In Maine, Massachusetts and Connecticut Shelters are called Lean-Tos.

Images

Default Kay Wood

I met Kay Wood last Saturday at the Mass. Maintainers' Gathering. She's a short lady in her 70s or 80s, still spunky and interested in the trail. Gave up her position as monitor coordinator for northern Mass. the year before last. Neat lady, and quite modest too.

I met Kay Wood on the Trail in '98'. She was picking small sticks off the trail. She apologized to me that there was a downed tree up ahead. She said she had been calling for 5 days and could not get any one to remove it and was clearly upset about it. All of the trail workers in Mass. are amazing dedicated people. I only found out later that it was her.

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

Spent night here 7-21-05. Bugs were surprisingly few so I slept in the shelter instead of tenting. Despite someone else's post about plentiful tent sites, I didn't see any good locations. Perhaps you have to look farther away from the shelter?

Water is steeply downhill, though not a long way.

Overall, a nice clean, comfortable lean-to. There didn't seem to be any mice, either.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseboy
    Spent night here 7-21-05. Bugs were surprisingly few so I slept in the shelter instead of tenting. Despite someone else's post about plentiful tent sites, I didn't see any good locations. Perhaps you have to look farther away from the shelter?

Water is steeply downhill, though not a long way.

Overall, a nice clean, comfortable lean-to. There didn't seem to be any mice, either.
    Thank you, Sickscull and Eggbert for the unasked for Shelter Review.

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

Again, more sarcasm. Don't know what I did to offend you.

At least I'm not posting here asking what a "lean-to" is.

From the original post, I thought the person was asking for comments, questions and such.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    Thank you, Sickscull and Eggbert for the unasked for Shelter Review.
    W-B has devoted a Forum to “AT Shelters & Lean-tos…
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

with Subforums for each state, including Massachusetts…
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51

with threads for each shelter, including Kay Woods Lean-to… http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=321

Each thread asks for “Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding…” that shelter. Mooseboy’s contribution was precisely on topic.
    Last edited by Dances with Mice; 07-29-2005 at 17:02. Reason: Wha's the Problem, BJ?
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Stopped in for lunch on 4/27/08 the walk from the trail is flat and easy so don't pass it by! shelter is super clean and in good shape! great perch atop a small ridge.

water source was running.

plenty of tent spots.
    ~Christy

this would be a good shelter for a sobo. going nobo i have always done the extra 3 miles into dalton. food mood over rules most things. just before kaywood in 2003 i saw a moose, on the trail. i didn't think i'd see one this far south. anybody see a moose south of this?

just passed through again yesterday - needed a fast easy day hike so did gulf rd - pitts rd and back.
    shelter was clean, stairs broken off in need of repair.
    privy was clean.
    fire pit? didn't know this was one of the exceptions...
    water source was dry - next source going sobo is the stream within 1/4 mile, just beyond the road.

Default Shelter Roof

Just a short heads up to hikers in the area. This shelter needs a new roof and will be getting one starting Sat. August 16th. In addition the gaps in the siding will be battened, making for a nice snug shelter. The job should be done and the shelter available for use by August 19th. So if you plan to be in the neighborhood on the 16th or 19th of August (the actual project days), stop in and lend a hand with the work!

Wanderer (AT Volunteer)

Nice place to crash.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++