WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nestles NIDO

Images

Default Nestles NIDO

Been doin some reading. Have tryed non-fat powdered milk....which tastes like white colored water. I just bought nestles nido whole powdered milk at wally world in the mexican food section. Tried it and not bad, very tolerable and 150 calories per 1/4cup that is huge!!!!

That is good stuff, I mix it with Kashi granola in a ziploc bag. It blows that Mountain House stuff away taste-wise for half the money.

How well does that dissolve? I have tried powdered whole dry milk before and it has not dissolved much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
    How well does that dissolve? I have tried powdered whole dry milk before and it has not dissolved much at all.
    It works great, I think having the fat in it helps it dissolve. It even disolves great mixed with the granola, just add water and eat.

Does it turn thicker than water like regular milk is? I hate, hate, hate watery milk that most powdered mixes turn into.
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Images

Default just quickly tried it out..

I mixed it according to the directions with water straight outta the tap. Tasted kinda like room temp milk, maybe a little sweeter. Like I said very tolerable. Not the water white colored water non-fat milk powder. I dont know maybe I just know I was drinking powdered milk. All-in all I am sold!

It actually has a closer consistency to milk than the fat free/skim versions and has a tollerable buttery taste. Works great with Lipton/Knorr's

AT, ECT, LT, PCT Thru-hiker JojoSmiley's Avatar

I used it with instant breakfast drink last year and it worked great even with cold water.
    Jojo Smiley :)
    Savor the Moments!

Default Nido

Couple tablespoons in dehydrated potato or cream of broccoli soup is primo. Makes it so much richer and smoother.

Images

Default Availability

I used it last summer on my trips and loved it. However the only place I have been able to purchase it has been on line. All the sources recommended by people on this site such as SuperMallWart, Hannafords, Shaw's, Dartmouth Food Coop, never heard of it. Driving the 100+ mile round trip to more populous southern NH in search of this product is not worth the cost in fuel. The best price I have found online, including shipping, runs about $10.00 per 2.5 quarts of reconstituted milk.

Pretty pricey IMHO.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

There is another dried whole milk called KLIM (milk spelled backwards), oddly enough it is also made by Nestle. I find it in asian groceries.

Images

Default I couldnt find it at wal-mart either.

It took me a while to find it at Wally world. It is located around the Mexican Ethnic food, coffee ect. Nestles actually markets to 3rd world countries as baby formula. We have a pretty large population of latino imports where I live. This could be the reason wal-mart carries it, if the ethnic poplation isnt there the NIDO might not be there either.

Be wary though - they make two different NIDO lines - one is the 26% fat milk powder, the other is aimed at kidlings....the picture on the front of the can is the giveaway. If you see the smiling kids, read carefully.

NIDO blends well due to the fat, hence no lumps left behind.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Nido is better than nonfat dry milk, especially in coffee, but my personal opinion is that Nido is to fresh milk as dried scrambled eggs are to fresh eggs. It seems to have that "cardboard" taste even though it is not packaged in paper. I prefer non-dairy creamer in coffee, but Nido is much more natural. It's ok in flavored oatmeal, but on its own it's lacking.

Btw, I got mine in a Latino food market.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Tried it recently, and it's fantastic stuff. Not quite like fresh, of course, but certainly an acceptable substitute and far better than the no-fat powdered stuff. Took forever to find it here, though. Tried the babyfood sections, tried the latin food sections (and stores!), and finally and accidently found it in the last place I would have expected: with the rest of the powdered milk when I gave up and went to get the skim stuff!

Just had some regular Nido on my FBC Fruity Breakfast Rice this morning. Dry skim tastes like chalk mixed with water while Nido adds more flavor and "mouth feel" (you can tell we watch the Food Network) due to the higher fat content.

Images

"Mouth feel" is one of the four basic methodologies of judging beer! Aroma, taste, mouthfeel, head. Hmm...works for most food, too.

I love NIDO, I wouldn't hike without it! It is great mixed up with homemade versions of oatmeal, nuts, dehydrated fruit. It can be found in the International(Latin America) section of Wal Mart.

I found this stuff the other day, and bought it, based on the recommendations from this thread. Thanks all. So, now that I have it, other than the obvious uses (cereal, coffee, breakfast drink mix), what are some other recipes to use it with? (I'm no cook, and terribly uncreative when it comes to foods)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    Be wary though - they make two different NIDO lines - one is the 26% fat milk powder, the other is aimed at kidlings....the picture on the front of the can is the giveaway. If you see the smiling kids, read carefully.

NIDO blends well due to the fat, hence no lumps left behind.
    What's the difference? I thought they were both the same, just packaged differently.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++