WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Looking for some info. Sometime this summer, the posting in the shelter with some details about Mark Nopel's life and contribution to the Trail was removed by someone. We'd like to put it back up, but of course when the shelter was built, no one thought we'd need another copy someday. At our named shelters (Kay Wood, being another), we try and provide some connection for today's hikers to the person the shelter was named for. Wondering if anyone out there has a picture of the posting that's legible enough to read so we can make and install a new posting. You can reply here or PM me.

Thanks!

Cosmo

I take it is the white typed document on the right-hand wall. Tried to search for it on Flickr and looked here as well, but didn't come up with a legible copy.

Tried searching as Noepel, since his name appears with that spelling elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Looking for some info. Sometime this summer, the posting in the shelter with some details about Mark Nopel's life and contribution to the Trail was removed by someone. We'd like to put it back up, but of course when the shelter was built, no one thought we'd need another copy someday. At our named shelters (Kay Wood, being another), we try and provide some connection for today's hikers to the person the shelter was named for. Wondering if anyone out there has a picture of the posting that's legible enough to read so we can make and install a new posting. You can reply here or PM me.

Thanks!

Cosmo
    Sorry, I can't help you with your request, but if you need to find info on Mark, I was on the trail when he went missing in 1987 in Virginia. Pretty sure he was a Parks employee in Shenandoah. I remember it because there were large numbers of Army guys helping in the search and it was the only time I ever saw that on the trail. I know they found his remains but have no information on the cause of his death. Hope this might help you find further information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++