WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

My ground dwelling hiking friends call me bear taco but I not worry!
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

Images

It's funny when people worry about things that have no basis in reality. My friends worry about bears, snakes, and deranged hillbillies whenever I go. Being in a hammock doesn't even register on them as being any more dangerous than just going up there.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

I have a crazy-irrational fear of bears, despite spending many many nights in the woods.

I would not backpack if I never found the perfect earplugs.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    It's funny when people worry about things that have no basis in reality. My friends worry about bears, snakes, and deranged hillbillies whenever I go. Being in a hammock doesn't even register on them as being any more dangerous than just going up there.
    So true.. Relax, that's why you are in the woods right?

It never crosses my mind, but my wife won't hike with me in some places because she is afraid of bears. And no matter how hard I try I cannot convince her the risk of a bear attack is lower than the possibility of getting struck by lightning. The last incident of the lady school teacher getting killed in the Smokies about 2-3 years ago put a fear in her that cannot be overcome.

Images

if you don't sleep with food its not an issue, if you sleep w/ food, then you are going to be bear burrito
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Don't fear the bear, fear the other drivers on the way to the trail head!

geek

We had more bear problems than normal this year in GSMNP. One serious attack, lots of bluff charges reported, even some who claim bears were following them off trail. Had several to relocate.
    "Just trying to keep life simple."

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiter View Post
    if you don't sleep with food its not an issue, if you sleep w/ food, then you are going to be bear burrito
    Don't sleep with food. Sleep with a shotgun and buckshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    We had more bear problems than normal this year in GSMNP. One serious attack, lots of bluff charges reported, even some who claim bears were following them off trail. Had several to relocate.
    Are you talking about the child that was bit, and didn't that happened about 8/12 on the south end of the park some place. I was closing up a gap in my incompleted thru from NF Gap to Derek Knob shelter when some section hikers told me about it.

My wife and I have been day hiking the Smokies since 1970 and it's just been in recent years that she has gotton so insecure about it.

Images

Pshhh, wieners.

I joke about being a bear taco, but never really worry about it...haven't been to GSMNP which I hear is a big area for nuisance bears, but I think I would feel pretty comfy there if I bagged my food 20 yards or so away. I have trouble sleeping outside for the first three nights or so, then I'm cool with it and drift off pretty quick every night.

Images

I can't speak for the east coast bears, but I've seen a Chevy Nova with the passenger side rear window frame peeled down and bent flat against the side of the car by a black bear. Across the parking lot was a Honda with the driver's side rear door pried open and the rear seat back torn out so he could get into the trunk. Getting into those cars was no more of a challenge to that bear than getting into a can of peaches with a can opener is to us. This was in Sequoia National Park in California. In both cases, the bear was after a small bit of food flavored trash (a napkin and a banana peel). So, hammock or tent doesn't matter; sleep however you want. In many parts of the Sierra it is a requirement to store anything and everything that has a scent away from the sleeping area, either in a bear box or bear canister. Hang your food at your own risk... Sierra bears love a challenge.
    "Blue sky at the top of the ridge means absolutely nothing." Chris Cameron

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    Just use earplugs. If you can't hear it, it doesn't exist.
    This is what I told my buddies. We had a black bear next to our site in Sept. I just crawled into my hammock and listened to my MP3 player. I've seen what bears can do to a vehicle. If you aren't safe there than worrying about it in a tent/hammock isn't going to do much.

JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Journal Entries
    Images

Your freinds might be right!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nufsaid View Post
    Don't sleep with food. Sleep with a shotgun and buckshot.
    no need for the shotgun and buckshot, just don't sleep w/ food its that simple
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

Don't worry about bears. Do what all great hikers do pitch your tarp and hammock 40 yards from the nearest tent with a foodbag pillow.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post

in october i stayed near wildcat shelter in NY and a flock of deer came running through in the middle of the night and detached one of my fellow hiker's guylines
    In 1970 near Mary Lake in YNP I stampeded a covey of buffalo. Glad our tent wasn't in the direction they chose to run.

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

Hide your food bag in a neighbor's tent. Hanging will be safe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++