WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

The History Channel has a show on mice and rats in the city and they are the ultimate survivors. We should learn from them. Doesn't mean you can't wack the the pushy ones.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I was in a shelter just south of Erwin. Written on the wall was a thru's complaint that section hikers would not get out of the shelter and give it to them on a rainy night.
    I can't remember when, or which shelter, but we had about 8 people in a 6 person shelter on a RAINY night, when a hiker came in & said (I swear he did, and was serious): "Someone HAS to leave & set up their tent so I can have a space, I don't have a tent!" In a tone of voice that was anything but pleasant or as if he was asking, he was ORDERING us.
    We all laughed at him.
    For some reason he was surprised and mad about it. Never saw him again.
    The conversation the next AM was: Had he asked nicely instead of ordering us to vacate, most of us would have done so. I was actually thinking of it anyway, can't remember why I was in a crowded shelter as I had a tent.
    I suspect he didn't learn tho.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

I would like to hear the aforementioned dead moose story.
    Made it down the coast in seventeen hours/ Pickin' me a bouquet of dogwood flowers

Images

When I was in the Scouts in the 60's we were staying at a shelter ( I do not remember where). During the night a big rain storm hit. One of the scouts told the Scout Master he was sick and need to throw up. Scout Master told to go throw up then. Kid threw up alright, all over the Scout Master.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

shelters killed everyone and everything i ever loved.
    matthewski

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

It was my first multi overnight on the AT. I was at Peters Mountain shelter With Jerryatric, we weren't hiking together just stop at the same shelter. I got up in the middle of the night to do the tree watering thing. It was a clear bright night so I elected not to use my head lamp and risk flashing and waking Jerryatric. I forgot there was a step down to the porch area of the shelter fell flat on my face with a boom Jerryatric must have levitated 6" off the floor. So much for trying not to wake him up.
    Alcohol was involved!

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Valmet View Post
    Way back in 1975 at Spence Field, late one night when a couple thought everyone was sleeping they got to well you know. Back then the bunks were made out of wire and they got to squeaking really loud. The guy under them announced that if anything drips on him they are dead. The whole shelter busted out laughing. The girl then said I thought you said everyone was sleeping. The next morning, the joke was "Is that a mouse I hear squeaking".
    Also at spence, circa 1985, one of my less tolerant hiking partners was so mad at the guy above him snoring that he kicked the wire in the bunk above him with both feet so hard that the guy bounced a foot in the air. He never figured out what happened, but my laughter almost gave it away.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

I was always under the impression that thru hikers got first shot at shelters and others were expected to tent if the shelter filled up. Personally, I always tent. My tent is the comfort item I won't give up.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I was always under the impression that thru hikers got first shot at shelters and others were expected to tent if the shelter filled up. Personally, I always tent. My tent is the comfort item I won't give up.
    Yeah, that's what we tell section hikers. Never trust a thru-hiker.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Wrong impression! Shelters are first come, first served. Doesn't matter if you're a thru, a section, a weekender, a dork, nerd, jerk, girl, guy, or if you're smelly, dirty, tired, wet, rich, gorgeous (well... that helps), ugly.....

Images

shelters would be so much better if they'd cover them with outdated wallpaper inside and out...
    See ya when I get there.

i know im boreing but i invented another thing.......lucite shelters. clear as glass. it solves a myrid of problems.
    matthewski

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++