WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Consuming Beverage Alcohol on the Trail

As I read the various posts, I see many references to the consumption of alcohol--either on the trail or while in town.

Personally, I have spent plenty of time with folks who are drinking alcohol. I have also spent plenty of time with people who are on hiking trips. However, I am not used to being with people who are combining those two activities.

Two questions:
    1. How common is alcohol consumption on the trail and in town? (Do most AT hikers drink alcohol on a fairly regular basis? or Do a large percentage of AT hikers drink alcohol rarely or not at all? or Is the answer "somewhere in between"?)

2. When hiking the AT (and at shelters), how often do you encounter intoxicated people who are behaving in an obnoxious or abusive manner?
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

1. Alcohol is a necessity.
    2. Almost never.

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    As I read the various posts, I see many references to the consumption of alcohol--either on the trail or while in town.

Personally, I have spent plenty of time with folks who are drinking alcohol. I have also spent plenty of time with people who are on hiking trips. However, I am not used to being with people who are combining those two activities.

Two questions:
    1. How common is alcohol consumption on the trail and in town? (Do most AT hikers drink alcohol on a fairly regular basis? or Do a large percentage of AT hikers drink alcohol rarely or not at all? or Is the answer "somewhere in between"?)

2. When hiking the AT (and at shelters), how often do you encounter intoxicated people who are behaving in an obnoxious or abusive manner?
    1. very common. come to trail days or just come to damascus during hiking season. you'll see
    2. lotsa drinking at shelters. not so much abusive/obnoxious behavior

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

I'll drop a Benadryl and some brandy for a nightcap.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

1. Didn't see much because alcohol is extra weight and extra weight is a no-no
    2. Not once on my hike.

Just plain lots of drinking by those who drink. Once you are in shape, carrying a six-pack or twelve-pack or 3 or 4 Bud pounders a few miles to camp is not so hard to do. Besides once you hit the waysides of the Shenandoah's you can get blitzed from there to Duncannon damn near every night. That's what I did. By Maine, my ability to consume copious amounts of alcohol amazed me. Was never a hearty drinker so being able to down 12-15 beers at a sitting amazed me.
    Yahtzee

Over the course of your hike you'll see everyone who drinks do so (probably more than once). For many, this is a six month vacation free of the usual Monday-through-Friday commitments. More often than not you'll see most people acting responsibly as if drinking in their own backyard. If you stay away from the obvious drinking hostels/hotels and other gatherings you probably won't witness anything too egregious.

It's funny but after about a month in the woods your body hits a metabolic reset. You'll bounce back from a few too many like when you were 19...only thing is...your tolerance resets, too.

Registered User NativePennsylvanian's Avatar
    Images

I always bring some for myself and some to share, then pack out the trash too. The recipients are always grateful too. I figure carrying an extra 10 lbs is no big deal compared to people walking 2K miles.

No one's ever complained or given me the stink eye. Never seen anyone out of hand either, just annoying sometimes. And those people are like that with or without booze.

Ice cold Yuengling Lagers year round whereever I'm camping at. Nothing like sitting in your hammock watching the sun set at an overlook with a cold one.

Images

Granted, it's been 10 years since I thru-hiked, but I didn't see a lot of drinking in the backcountry, though what little I did see was around shelters. There was a LOT of drinking in towns.

I never had any problems with folks being obnoxious or intrusive in town or on the trail.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post

I never had any problems with folks being obnoxious or intrusive in town or on the trail.
    or cabin C at SORUCK

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    or cabin C at SORUCK
    Maybe I just have a high tolerance for tom(or tammy)foolery...
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I always thought that it was responsible when drinking on trail to be at the highest elevation possible for that day.

Images

Lots of drinking in trail towns. Plenty in and around shelters too, especially on weekends if the shelter is used a lot by weekenders. Usually a pretty good supply of weed as well. Most hikers are pretty polite though, they're rarely obnoxious or abusive--they'll usually even offer you some of whatever they're drinking or smoking.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SUL_knight View Post
    most of the drinking is at shelters
    chuckle...I resemble that remark!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...imageuser=6309

(notice the 1L of single malt scotch!) granted, only out for a week, but that's a couple of pounds I'm willing to carry!
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

If you want a trail where you won't see many hikers drinking, try the CDT. Of course, you won't see many hikers either.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Drinking occurred at a couple hostels. Also at Partnership shelter (though I think that is banned now ?). Sometimes at shelters if someone left beer in a stream or cooler there was some, but not enough to really matter (I saw more beer left there than sodas which was interesting.)

Actually there are more situations with illegal drugs at shelters. Lighter to carry, I suppose...

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Blissful wrote:
    "Actually there are more situations with illegal drugs at shelters. Lighter to carry, I suppose..."

Well, pack weight DOES matter on a long distance hike!
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post

Well, pack weight DOES matter on a long distance hike!
    never mattered much to me

Liquor is about 135 calories per ounce.
    Beer is about 11 calories per ounce.
    Dried pasta or rice are 100 calories per ounce.

Just something to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    You'll bounce back from a few too many like when you were 19...only thing is...your tolerance resets, too.
    I'll say. After three cups of beer out of the keg at the Overmountian beer blast put on by the Appalachian State collage trail crew last spring, I almost couldn't make it back up the ladder to the loft. I must be getting old. Or maybe it was the wiskey chasers I seem to vegly remember someone was passing around.

How long does a keg of beer last with 50 hikers drinking? Not long!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++